Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NAB says it's time to stop selling distant signals

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

According to a report by Broadcasting & Cable's John Eggerton, the NAB plans to tell a House Communications Subcommittee today to allow the satellite distant signal compulsory license to expire when it takes up the reauthorization of Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA). That's the license that allows Dish to sell subscriptions to the five grandfathered superstations (WPIX, WWOR, WSBK, KWGN, KTLA) and all other distant signals.

"While originally adopted to provide network programming to the large number of satellite viewers unable to receive it from their local station, today more than 98% of viewers have the option of viewing network programming from their local affiliate," Eggerton quoted, apparently as part of prepared testimony for Jane Mago, the NAB's executive vice president and general counsel. It's all couched in protecting and promoting "localism". Don't get me started on that.

Eggerton says the NAB might settle for narrowing the range of viewers for distant signals. You really should read the full story here: http://www.broadcast...nal_License.php

Edited by FTA Michael, 13 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.
It's more than just the superstations

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I say it's time to stop the NAB.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,410 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

The critical piece of information is in this paragraph:

That license allows satellite carriers to retransmit distant affiliated TV station signals into markets that cannot receive a local affiliate of the same network. Satellite operators do not have to negotiate for that carriage, and they can import nearby significantly viewed stations as well as distant ones.

And then we have this juxtaposition of paragraphs:

"...Congress should continue to rebuff the efforts of the satellite and cable industries to persuade the government to intervene in free-market retransmission negotiations."

Mago suggests that the local-into-local compulsory license is the better way to handle local station carriage -- that is the requirement that if a satellite carrier offers any local TV station in a market he must offer all, essentially a must-carry provision similar to that for cable.

They propose to allow the free market to determine the price the locals will extract from you and me by using a Congressional mandate?

The problem is those Congress members want those local stations reaching every voter for political ads every two years, ads paid for by lobbyists like the NAB.

And this isn't just about Dish, though Charlie has miffed the NAB members and Congress members with the Hopper automatically skipping those political ads.

It's time to get rid of paying for local broadcast stations.

Edited by phrelin, 13 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

According to a report by Broadcasting & Cable's John Eggerton, the NAB plans to tell a House Communications Subcommittee today to allow the satellite distant signal compulsory license to expire when it takes up the reauthorization of Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA). That's the license that allows Dish to sell subscriptions to the five grandfathered superstations (WPIX, WWOR, WSBK, KWGN, KTLA) and all other distant signals.

"While originally adopted to provide network programming to the large number of satellite viewers unable to receive it from their local station, today more than 98% of viewers have the option of viewing network programming from their local affiliate," Eggerton quoted, apparently as part of prepared testimony for Jane Mago, the NAB's executive vice president and general counsel. It's all couched in protecting and promoting "localism". Don't get me started on that.

Eggerton says the NAB might settle for narrowing the range of viewers for distant signals. You really should read the full story here: http://www.broadcast...nal_License.php

Ten years ago I got a letter from Dish saying KBCW a CBS station ask to block KTLA in my zipcode, and the rest of the Superstations. So I was out of luck.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

So, here we have technology which allows someone to view any over the air TV station anywhere in the US. Tough, there are spot beams; it is technologically possible for me in Longmont, Colorado to get a TV station in New York City.

Let's face it, with the merger of the media industry, locally owned TV stations have more or less gone the way of locally owned radio stations. If you watch KUSA in Denver, their newscast is no different that the one at WUSA in Washington DC (both owned by Gannett). Yet, there is an appeal to watch out of market TV, besides newscasts and network shows; local produced programming and movies.

Though, when I was a DSIH subscriber, having access to the Superstations, watching news from LA, Boston and New York proved useful and some cases valuable. While Denver is reporting the Broncos, or a wild fire, wall to wall in newscasts, and something was going on in New York, I could watch that coverage.

Yet, the NAB is about making money and limiting competition. The government is bad, until private industry needs the government for their pocketbook. Trying to get a waver is impossible. Where I live, I have two choices satellite or Comcast. Getting over the air is next to impossible. But, the FCC, forced by the NAB, still use coverage maps for analog TV to determine which zip code is in which market area fro Satellite.

So, again paid lobbyists, and a [paid off Congress, will support the big media companies. Yes, we live in a free market system, but that free market is manipulated to the betterment of profits. Another case where the so called land of opportunity lacks an even playing field.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

And yet I don't get their objections when so many of them stream at least part of their broadcasts, especially their local news and some local sports events.

What difference does it make if I'm not watching my local news because I'm watching a distant local news on satellite or watching a distant local news on the web?

#7 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

DISH has the Superstations, which were more important when they were not network stations. DISH decided to no longer sell distant networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) last year.

If I wrote the rules the NAB would not like me. :) There would be no consent to carry and every station would be carried under a statutory license (as the superstations and distants were carried) where the fee is set by the government instead of negotiations. I'd rather see no carriage fees but statutory fees are better than "whatever the station demands".

Stations would be carried where they covered. White spaces would be filled by an in market station (if available) or an in state station if there were no station of that network in the market. Stations would be rewarded for their coverage with carriage.

But I don't write the rules. :(

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

DISH has the Superstations, which were more important when they were not network stations. DISH decided to no longer sell distant networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) last year.

If I wrote the rules the NAB would not like me. :) There would be no consent to carry and every station would be carried under a statutory license (as the superstations and distants were carried) where the fee is set by the government instead of negotiations. I'd rather see no carriage fees but statutory fees are better than "whatever the station demands".

Stations would be carried where they covered. White spaces would be filled by an in market station (if available) or an in state station if there were no station of that network in the market. Stations would be rewarded for their coverage with carriage.

James- those are too common sense - no way would anybody accept them :)
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

If I did, I'd find a way to allow anyone to buy locals from any city they wish. If someone moves from Dayton, OH to Phoenix, AZ and wants to see the stations from their former home, they should be able to.

Yeah, yeah, I know, there are technical issues with that, but years ago there were technical issues getting locals at all.

#10 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

[quote name='nmetro']
If you watch KUSA in Denver, their newscast is no different that the one at WUSA in Washington DC (both owned by Gannett).

That's nonsense. Do you really think a station in DC will tell you what is happening in the Colorado legislature or the Denver city council? If you think that stuff is unimportant just wait till you get your tax bill.

#11 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

I'd find a way to allow anyone to buy locals from any city they wish. If someone moves from Dayton, OH to Phoenix, AZ and wants to see the stations from their former home, they should be able to.

This is what viewers want, and I think we could at least see some markets (say, the top 10 or so) have nationwide coverage if it was permitted. But the problem is copyright law gives the holder the right to set the terms and conditions of distribution, and the networks do not want you watching a distant signal. It hurts local commercial revenue, which ultimately harms the network's ability to charge the affiliates for membership.

#12 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

John Eggerton, the hardest-working man in Washington, follows up with a _lengthy_ report about the "informational" hearing yesterday. The good news is that Dish brought up fixing the retransmission consent system, a thought echoed by a ranking member of the subcommittee, Anna Eshoo (D-CA). The bad news is those people who wanted to scrap distant signals altogether or limit their availability.

The story is much too long to summarize easily, so go read it: http://www.broadcast...nal_License.php
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#13 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

If I did, I'd find a way to allow anyone to buy locals from any city they wish. If someone moves from Dayton, OH to Phoenix, AZ and wants to see the stations from their former home, they should be able to.
Yeah, yeah, I know, there are technical issues with that, but years ago there were technical issues getting locals at all.

That is exactly what I would love to have. Living the first 20 years of my life in Duluth, MN, it would be nice to be able to watch the local news from there.

I do watch a couple of web cams from back there on a daily basis. Nice to see that it is snowing there while I'm basking in the sunshine here in the SF Bay area.:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

If I am not mistaken the authority for distant networks is separate and distinct from the authority for Superstations. This article reds like it applies to the former and not the latter especially when it talks about "affiliated stations" and STELA Specifically states that the superstations do not meet that definition.

Am I mistaken?

Edited by Geronimo, 14 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

If I am not mistaken the authority for distant networks is separate and distinct from the authority for Superstations. This article reds like it applies to the former and not the latter especially when it talks about "affiliated stations" and STELA Specifically states that the superstations do not meet that definition.

Am I mistaken?

You're not, & I have NO idea where in that B&C article, that the OP got ANY word of the "superstations" being mentioned - ONLY distant (network) stations... :confused:

#16 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

You're not, & I have NO idea where in that B&C article, that the OP got ANY word of the "superstations" being mentioned - ONLY distant (network) stations... :confused:

Well he is not exactly the fisrt person to report the pending death of the superstations. IT used to happen quite frequently and I suppose this report could be considered overdue.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#17 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Regardless of if it is mentioned in the articles, the right to carry "superstations" under a statutory license expires along with the right to carry "distants". Congress could extend one without extending the other. So far they just keep changing the expiration dates on both types of service.

I agree that the satellite providers have not used significantly viewed as much as I expected ... but they set stations by market and significantly viewed stations don't cover entire adjacent markets. And carriage of a competing station can tick off the in-market stations. As long as it is a choice, satellite providers can choose not to carry them.

That is one of the big differences between cable and satellite carriage law. Where significantly viewed was originally written to FORCE cable providers to carry stations that people watched OTA (the threshold for being significantly viewed set by OTA reception ratings) when Congress applied it to satellite they made it an option. I believe the rules should be the same. If cable is forced to carry/offer carriage to a channel satellite should be forced to carry/offer carriage to the channel.

The next two years of discussion should be interesting. Hopefully we're not waiting for a new bill while the old expires. Get it done in plenty of time.

#18 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

That might be true. But it does not change the fact that article is about distant nets and the NAB has not challenged the carriage of superstations. They need to revisit STELA AS a whole. The article discusses opposition to one provison that requires e authorization. It simply does not discuss the other and the thread has possibly created confusion about what the NAB concerns were.

Edited by Geronimo, 15 February 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Allow me to not have to pay for locals that I don't need via satellite and can get OTA, while still providing guide data.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#20 OFFLINE   gregsgoatfarm

gregsgoatfarm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Allow me to not have to pay for locals that I don't need via satellite and can get OTA, while still providing guide data.

My wife would never stand for that. She likes being able to record 3 programs simultaneously.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...