Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Get the HR34 or wait for the HR44??

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I guess we'll have to wait to see what the Wifi performs like.

So would D* just skip installing SWM/DECA if the Wifi worked?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DTWBHN

DTWBHN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

not to be the bearer of bad news, the 44 and 41 are beta testing in the cleveland dma starting the week of the 25th, official market wide release is expected sometime around april, a little bird told me that...
DirecTV, Wildblue, and Hughesnet Tech.
42" Pany to a HR24, 19" Sanyo to a H25, 32" Emerson to a H24 and a HR24 in the garage
***My comments are personal opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of the companies I work for or who they are affiliated with***
"my OTA antenna is still my favorite"

#23 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I guess we'll have to wait to see what the Wifi performs like.

So would D* just skip installing SWM/DECA if the Wifi worked?

No, like the others said the wireless in it will just be the connection to your home WiFi network to get your DirecTV network internet access for TV Apps, on-demand, Nomad, etc.

The DirecTV receivers themselves will still be hooked up with a RG6 coaxial cable network and SWM/DECA.

The HR44 is pretty much just the HR34 with a wireless cinema connect kit built in (and the power supply moved external).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#24 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would wait for the HR44 since I also have the HR24, But I want to replace the slow HR22, But since you already ordered stick with what you want best.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#25 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Engadget or The Verge were given a demo at CES and told the processor in the 44 was faster and they saw menu navigation being faster.

#26 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Engadget or The Verge were given a demo at CES and told the processor in the 44 was faster and they saw menu navigation being faster.

Don't forget DBSTalk and SolidSignal were both allowed into the private area too. ;)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

AFAIK its like having an internal wireless CCK capability;

?

At this time that's exactly what it is.

#28 OFFLINE   rbohling

rbohling

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

People will be looking at the HR-44 reports and saying look at all the problems it has. It comes with the new/advanced products and through growing pains, testing and tweaking, they will smooth out. Just as they have been doing with the HR-34s.

#29 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

I would just go for the HR34 now. Its a great box and pretty stable now. FINALLY! As others have said. The HR44 will be buggy like all new boxes and go through growing pains. Then all the whining and crying will commence how much they hate it.

#30 OFFLINE   DTWBHN

DTWBHN

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

i would agree go with the 34, we havent even started the beta test and i can tell ya this with every other beta tests there are always problems and bugs. Theres already a bug, testing has been bumped a week because of manufacturing delays. Go with a 34, the bugs have been all worked out and its a very smooth running machine.
DirecTV, Wildblue, and Hughesnet Tech.
42" Pany to a HR24, 19" Sanyo to a H25, 32" Emerson to a H24 and a HR24 in the garage
***My comments are personal opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of the companies I work for or who they are affiliated with***
"my OTA antenna is still my favorite"

#31 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I've been testing the HR44 for about three weeks now not much different then the 34 smaller then the Hr24 I haven't seen any major bugs with it at all the 41 had quite bugs at first but seems to be working pretty well now and the pilot starts the Tuesday the 19th

#32 OFFLINE   jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Go with the 34.

#33 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

We been testing the 44 here as well, co worker found several bugs with the 44 as well as the 41. Our shop just got training on it last week, since it was suppose to go into beta this coming wednesday but it got push till next week. As soon as it goes into beta in our market I'm calling for a service call on myself and switching my 34 for the 44. It goes live in mid or early april (this is what they told us, dont quote me on this). I will try to keep both my 34 and 44, hopefully they let me since I know several people that have them.

#34 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

So our two year commitment is about over and my wife has been bugging me that she would like the 5 tuner capability that is now present in the HR34.

I presently have:

• HR24-100
  • H24-100
  • D12-100

I have read through all of the threads on people saying "wait for the 44" vs "just get the 34, it's the same thing minus wireless" and clearly it isn't. I know the remote is different with the HR44 and the power brick is external on the 44 - again, I don't really care about either of those things. Have a look at this video around the 3:25 mark:

TqHP6CoKNgM

The speed of the guide paging is something key that I'm after. I can't imagine DTV would release an upgraded system with only an external brick and wireless and not upgrade the processor. I want to have this sort of speed when paging through the menu. The lag that is shown on the HR34 on this video will drive me insane and it's even present on my HR24 vs the H24 that I have. The latter is *much* faster with paging.

I had an appointment with MultiBand (who is the DTV subcontractor for my part of Michigan) this morning to refresh my hardware and they informed me that the 44 is still not available and is in beta test only right now. So, I had to either take the 34 or cancel the order so I ended up doing the latter. As long as we've waited for the 34, I don't mind waiting another month or so for the 44. It will frost me, however, if I get the 34 and then a few weeks the 44 comes out and everyone raves how much faster it is especially with the menu paging.

Hopefully I made the right decision in waiting. :confused:

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Since you are in Michigan, you might want to contact Signal Installs when it becomes available. They are part of the company that owns Solid Signal. You would have to pay for it (unless DirecTV agrees to a credit), but you'll be guaranteed a 44, and at least based on the installers Multiband uses around here, probably a better experience.

http://www.signalins....com/index.html

#36 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

In your quest just a reminder a HR34 or HR44 is the HR20 of tomorrow.

If you want something get it- if not wait tomorrow always brings something else (example) iphone --------Now iphone 5 windoes 3.1-win-8 - it's all Teckno junk :lol:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#37 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, I get it. :lol:

The proof is in the pudding though with that video and seeing the menu paging. That, at least to me, makes it worth the wait especially if that is an accurate representation with the HR34 with latest firmware. :eek2:

#38 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

My guide on my hr34 moves just as fast as that video of the hr44.

#39 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

So, first I've heard of that, then. Can anyone else with a HR34 confirm or alternatively validate the video?

#40 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Since you are in Michigan, you might want to contact Signal Installs when it becomes available. They are part of the company that owns Solid Signal. You would have to pay for it (unless DirecTV agrees to a credit), but you'll be guaranteed a 44, and at least based on the installers Multiband uses around here, probably a better experience.

http://www.signalins....com/index.html

Thanks for the shoutout. Signal Connect (we changed from Signal Installs about a year ago) would be happy to help. Same web site or http://www.signalconnect.com

My guide on my hr34 moves just as fast as that video of the hr44.

I think there's some confusion as to how that video comparison was made. I didn't just hold down the button and wait for it to start scrolling on its own. That would have been faster in both cases. I started with the same RC65 remote from the same distance and pushed the page down button as fast as I could. If you just hold down the button the HR44 scrolls so fast you can barely see what's flying past.

So, first I've heard of that, then. Can anyone else with a HR34 confirm or alternatively validate the video?

I stand behind it, and if you'd like to PM me I'll be happy to talk about the processes I used.

spam firewall