Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Get the HR34 or wait for the HR44??

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I would PM you, however the site won't let me since I am a new user. My reply was:

So thank you - I certainly would value your opinion. One thing that drives me insane about the HR24 that we have right now is that when we're in the guide and are rapidly hitting page up/down (i.e. not holding either button down) there is a lag before the next page is displayed. On the H24 we have, this lag is not there - at all.

My main concern is the ability to have 5 tuners, and to make that paging lag disappear. If is it not present in the HR34, then it is something Id consider, however after viewing your video and watching you do what you described, the continued lag will drive me crazy.

Any idea when we'll see the HR44 available in Michigan?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I believe that once you reach 5 posts you'll be able to PM.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Empty post so that I have 5 and can PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I would PM you, however the site won't let me since I am a new user. My reply was:

So thank you - I certainly would value your opinion. One thing that drives me insane about the HR24 that we have right now is that when we're in the guide and are rapidly hitting page up/down (i.e. not holding either button down) there is a lag before the next page is displayed. On the H24 we have, this lag is not there - at all.

My main concern is the ability to have 5 tuners, and to make that paging lag disappear. If is it not present in the HR34, then it is something Id consider, however after viewing your video and watching you do what you described, the continued lag will drive me crazy.

Any idea when we'll see the HR44 available in Michigan?

Thanks!

If you think the HR24 is slow to page up/down I've got a HR22 you'd love! Ok - I don't have the HR22s anymore because they were much slower than the HR24 and I couldn't take it anymore.

It sounds like the HR24 is slower than you'd like and by most accounts here (I don't have one) the HR34 is slower than the HR24 but faster than the HR21/22/23s.

My advice would be to wait - especially since you already canceled! No reason to buy-in with something slower than you already don't like the speed of. You may also want to see the HR44 in action before you commit.... I'd say there is a pretty good chance (almost a certainty) that the HR44 will still be slower than your H24. Better to know ahead of time than be surprised 10 minutes after the installer leaves.

#45 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

What's the big deal about scrolling as fast as video shows? You can't read what's flying by that fast.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's my preference.

#47 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

What's the big deal about scrolling as fast as video shows? You can't read what's flying by that fast.

I don't think it is about having to read everything flying by.... It is the general responsiveness of the receiver.

Some people are just peachy with the speed of even the HR21/22/23s but others (like me!) get annoyed having to slow down to avoid over/undershooting what you are trying to click on....

A good example is just going to the guide and seeing something you want to record down three lines and over 2 spots... You should be able to hit down-down-down-right-right-record without having to wait for the receiver to catch up. If you want to record a series by hitting record twice you shouldn't have to wonder and/or wait for the DoubleRRs to show up.

I expect and suspect that it is easier to do this simple example on the HR44 than on the HR34... At least I hope that will be the case.

#48 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thank you for providing an example for that which I didn't feel like putting into words :)

#49 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

My bill went up by $15 for the same package this month.

So I either wait for the HR44 or jump on a Comcast deal and save a lot of money with a double play promo.

#50 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I don't think it is about having to read everything flying by.... It is the general responsiveness of the receiver.

Some people are just peachy with the speed of even the HR21/22/23s but others (like me!) get annoyed having to slow down to avoid over/undershooting what you are trying to click on....

A good example is just going to the guide and seeing something you want to record down three lines and over 2 spots... You should be able to hit down-down-down-right-right-record without having to wait for the receiver to catch up. If you want to record a series by hitting record twice you shouldn't have to wonder and/or wait for the DoubleRRs to show up.

I expect and suspect that it is easier to do this simple example on the HR44 than on the HR34... At least I hope that will be the case.

Response speed isn't what's displayed in the video ... How fast the guide flies was. I just set a Series Pass on a 34 with the Double R and it appeared immediately. I did down-down-down-right-right-record and there was no waiting.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#51 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I would be happy to answer questions via PM and create youtube videos to help answer any questions about the speed of the HR44. PMs are prefered, please.

#52 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Response speed isn't what's displayed in the video ... How fast the guide flies was. I just set a Series Pass on a 34 with the Double R and it appeared immediately. I did down-down-down-right-right-record and there was no waiting.

Yep - I saw the video. Point is the HR44 is faster and worth the wait for freaks like me.

I'm happy you're happy.

#53 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the shoutout. Signal Connect (we changed from Signal Installs about a year ago) would be happy to help. Same web site or http://www.signalconnect.com

I think there's some confusion as to how that video comparison was made. I didn't just hold down the button and wait for it to start scrolling on its own. That would have been faster in both cases. I started with the same RC65 remote from the same distance and pushed the page down button as fast as I could. If you just hold down the button the HR44 scrolls so fast you can barely see what's flying past.

I stand behind it, and if you'd like to PM me I'll be happy to talk about the processes I used.

I can do the samething on my hr34. I can hit the button and not hold it down and be just as fast. If I hold the button down u can't read it

#54 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

My scrolling effects are set to off. Where they on the test hr34. Only thing that slows mine down is if I page down and happen to land on an ad. That causes a moment hiccup.

#55 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

I live in metro Denver, one of the first markets to get the HR44. My install is scheduled for Friday, 3/1, and I have a guarantee to get a 44. It was supposed to be available last Tuesday (original install date), but kinks with new remote delayed the rollout. The installer was accompanied by a manager, and both guys said to wait for the 44. The guarantee puts a 44 on the truck for me.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-500 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#56 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

The installer I spoke to on a new install job yesterday suggested that if I want a Genie I should wait for the 44. He listed many improvements over the 34. I'll wait.

#57 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Any idea when the 44 will hit the So. Cal market?

#58 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Los Angeles is usually one of the pilot markets (for obvious reasons).
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#59 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

I just got the free HR-34 Genie receiver. Replaced an R-22 and kept the HR-24. Whole Home DVR is sweet. And the HR-24 is an upgrade over the R-22 for the SD TV's in the bedrooms!

Already have the SWM setup. The upgrade was so easy that I directed/hands-off-helped my 8 year old son while he actually did the entire upgrade! (all the same cables & cords) Including the phone call to activate, since the 119 sat had 2 red X's on it.

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I just got the free HR-34 Genie receiver. Replaced an R-22 and kept the HR-24. Whole Home DVR is sweet. And the HR-24 is an upgrade over the R-22 for the SD TV's in the bedrooms!

Already have the SWM setup. The upgrade was so easy that I directed/hands-off-helped my 8 year old son while he actually did the entire upgrade! (all the same cables & cords) Including the phone call to activate, since the 119 sat had 2 red X's on it.

That's bad. No signal on 119 could cause you issues. I suggest you start your own thread and see if people can't help you get that figured out.

spam firewall