Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need to order additional DVR

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

We bought a new plasma so the tv merry-go-round has started. Bottom line we're moving a HD tv into our bedroom where we previously had a sd receiver. Do I call directv to get a hd receiver or just order thru my account online? Would be nice if they sent me a newer one which I would then swap out and use the newer one with our home theater and new tv. Any suggestions on getting newer equipment or is it a waste of time to try and resolve myself with I get what I get? Thanks.
Home Theater
HR24-200
65 in. Panasonic Plasma VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Panasonic Blu-ray DMPBDT220

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,154 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I would call and try to get the newer HR34 Genie. Replace the DVR-40 with it (actually, put the HR34 where you do the most viewing and move that unit to the bedroom).

You'll probably need an installer to come out, as the newer receivers and DVRs are SWM only (a dish/LNB technology) that you don't have (DVR-40 won't work with it).

Call and see what they will do for you. Some polite haggling should get you a decent price.

#3 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I may need to update my signature. I do have a old sd tivo in the bedroom. I have a HR-20/700 in great room and a HR-23/700 in the home theater room.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Because you have the old SDTvio - Call and see what upgrade offer's you may get.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Any suggestions on getting newer equipment or is it a waste of time to try and resolve myself with I get what I get? Thanks.

Call DirecTV and press the option to cancel. When the rep comes on line, ask how much it would cost to get out of your current contract -- explain that you just got a new TV and it seems to expensive to add another HD station. If you are out of contract, you can get a new HDVR at no charge If you are in contract, you can get it for just the shipping charge if you wait until your anniversary date.

Or if you would prefer, you might be able to get Whole Home service at no charge with just an HD receiver. Whatever you choose, DirecTV will send someone out to install the appropriate equipment to support it.

Unless you specifically ask for a TiVo (THD22) (which cannot share recordings with other DVRs) you don't get to specify the model.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Call DirecTV and press the option to cancel. When the rep comes on line, ask how much it would cost to get out of your current contract -- explain that you just got a new TV and it seems to expensive to add another HD station. If you are out of contract, you can get a new HDVR at no charge If you are in contract, you can get it for just the shipping charge if you wait until your anniversary date.

Or if you would prefer, you might be able to get Whole Home service at no charge with just an HD receiver. Whatever you choose, DirecTV will send someone out to install the appropriate equipment to support it.

Unless you specifically ask for a TiVo (THD22) (which cannot share recordings with other DVRs) you don't get to specify the model.

That's not true at all. Just because you are in or out of contract doesn't that mean you will or will not get a free receiver or DVR. The only true way to know what options you have is to call up and speak to a CSR (and it does not need to be with someone from retention).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

That's not true at all. Just because you are in or out of contract doesn't that mean you will or will not get a free receiver or DVR. The only true way to know what options you have is to call up and speak to a CSR (and it does not need to be with someone from retention).

- Merg

You may have had a different experience but I've found a) if you are still in contract and have passed your anniversary date, you will get a better offer from retention than with a random CSR and B) you will get a better offer if you are out of contract.

It also helps to know what competitors in your area are offering -- which is why I make a point of saving the ads when our anniversary date is approaching.

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

You may have had a different experience but I've found a) if you are still in contract and have passed your anniversary date, you will get a better offer from retention than with a random CSR and B) you will get a better offer if you are out of contract.

It also helps to know what competitors in your area are offering -- which is why I make a point of saving the ads when our anniversary date is approaching.

Maybe in the past but not so much now - you just might get what you threaten - canceled.

Seems to go more on the numer of times you successfully call in and get credits or discounts now, you use up your allotment you get nothing

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Call DirecTV and press the option to cancel. When the rep comes on line, ask how much it would cost to get out of your current contract -- explain that you just got a new TV and it seems to expensive to add another HD station.

It is relative peanuts to get a lease box. Do you really think they'd fall for that?

DIRECTV has stated in the last couple of earnings calls that they're keenly watching promotions and how they impact the bottom line.

Due to the rising cost of programming, driving top line sales and remaining disciplined in the management of credits and promotions has become critical for us to maintain our strong profit margins.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

We bought a new plasma so the tv merry-go-round has started. Bottom line we're moving a HD tv into our bedroom where we previously had a sd receiver. Do I call directv to get a hd receiver or just order thru my account online? Would be nice if they sent me a newer one which I would then swap out and use the newer one with our home theater and new tv. Any suggestions on getting newer equipment or is it a waste of time to try and resolve myself with I get what I get? Thanks.

If you are happy with the 3 HDDVRs, you could just buy one from Solid Signal and get the HR24.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Call DirecTV and press the option to cancel.

Whatever happened to politely asking what you could get? Why threaten to cancel if you have no intentions to do so? They offer upgrades to existing customers. All that's needed is to call and ask(sometimes it will show you offers online as well).
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Before you call DirecTV why don't you explore the options of using one of your existing HD boxes to feed the TV in your bedroom?

There are RF remotes to control the receiver that's in another room and all kinds of HDMI switches you only have to pay for once. You can get long HDMI cables to connect everything up.

If you aren't handy at running cables there are numerous Home Theater companies that will appear at your home and do the work.

This way you do not get stuck with a new 2 year contract with DirecTV and you also save $6 a month!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

If you are happy with the 3 HDDVRs, you could just buy one from Solid Signal and get the HR24.

I went to solidsignal.com and found the hr-24 receiver. Called them up and the guy said they don't sell that. They sell antenna's even though the equipment is listed on their website. Is there anywhere I can buy a new receiver without going thru DTV? DTV told me yesterday they'd send a "new" one to me at a 100 bucks off but couldn't even tell me what model they would send me. WTF i'm supposedly buying a new one from them but they can't tell me the model??? So frustrating.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,309 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I don't know what the guy was thinking, but they absolutely do have receivers. Technically I guess it's not a sale as its a lease, but they do have them. They will guarantee a 24, but not manufacturer.

#15 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I went to solidsignal.com and found the hr-24 receiver. Called them up and the guy said they don't sell that. They sell antenna's even though the equipment is listed on their website. Is there anywhere I can buy a new receiver without going thru DTV? DTV told me yesterday they'd send a "new" one to me at a 100 bucks off but couldn't even tell me what model they would send me. WTF i'm supposedly buying a new one from them but they can't tell me the model??? So frustrating.

It clearly shows the item in stock at Solid Signal. As previously posted it is still a lease but you get exactly what you want.
http://www.solidsign...ku=085463000521

They also have them on Ebay and Amazon dot com. Just be sure it is a new one and not used if you go to either of those for the receiver.
http://www.ebay.com/...Cbx=1&_udlo=115

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#16 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks, guys! Clearly the guy didn't know what he was talking about. He even said he gets a bunch of calls and knows the equipment is on the site but he just deals with antennaes so I don't know who they had answering the phone yesterday? :nono2:
At any rate, I've definitely seen these on Amazon as well.

One question, the HR-24 says that if you don't have SWM you'll need a B-band converter. We don't have SWM but I believe when we upgraded to the HR23-700 we didn't have to use the B-band anymore. Maybe it's just a mistake that it was listed on the HR-24 description on Solid Signal but do you happen to know if I will need the B-band again?
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,309 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Without SWM, you will need B Band converters. The 23 did not need them, but the 24 does.

#18 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Ok - thanks. BTW, cute dog!
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810