Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722k: New kind of "Playback Ending Early" Bug?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sheltrk

sheltrk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

This has happened two weeks in a row now. I've searched other "playback ended early" bug threads, but this seems different.

Setup: We have a 722k in the living room serving TV1 via HDMI to the living room tv. The TV2 output serves a tv in the back bedroom. Normally, our 722k stays in "Dual Mode".

Two weeks in a row now, I've been recording a college basketball game in prime time, and watching it either a bit behind live, or caught up to live. And I've been bitten by the same bug. Last night in particular, I was recording the game on ESPNU scheduled from 6:00 - 8:00 last night with the standard "sports padding" of 60 minutes, thus reserving the tuner until 9:00. I was watching the game on TV1, and the DVR was recording it on Tuner 2. I was watching it by hitting "play" on the recording, as opposed to watching "live TV". At 8:00, I was caught up to live. (In this case, the game had just ended--last week it hadn't...) The timer for Supernatural fired at 8:00 on Tuner 1. My playback of the game immediately ended, even though it was scheduled to record until 9:00.

Only, it didn't *really* stop recording. It looked like it did, but it was apparently still "stealthily" recording on ESPNU. The only way I could tell was if I pulled up the EPG and hit "Record" on the 8:00 program on ESPNU, I got an Error message: "Recording in Progress". Last night I didn't try to fix it, because my game had already ended.

But last week, when the same thing happened, my game was still going on. I couldn't just switch to "live TV" on Tuner 2, because I was watching on TV1 and the DVR was in "dual mode", and a timer on Tuner 1 had just fired. After a few moments of ranting under my breath, and getting the "Recording in Progress" message, I switched the 722k to "Single Mode". Then I selected the channel the game was on from the EPG, and then I was able to rewind to where I had left off watching the game. Which was still recording... Stealthily...

What I think is going on:
In "Dual Mode", the 722k doesn't fully recognize a program is padded if
1. It is recording on Tuner 2,
2. You are watching it on TV1 (while recording is in progress), and
3. Another timer fires on Tuner 1 when the program's scheduled end time is reached.

Work-around: Switch 722k to "Single Mode" when "end of playback" is reached. Re-Select channel from EPG in "Live TV". Rewind. Of course, if you are far enough behind live, this may not work...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

spam firewall