Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Query on mapdowns, LINK TV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I have a rudimentary understanding of the "mapdown" process. Recently I noticed that LINK TV, on channel 9410, has no corresponding three digit mapdown. Occas., I scroll through the guide to see what new stations have been added. LINK is only available on 9410. Does anyone know why or if other stations are only available this way, also?

I found out about LINK as I was "researching" a TV series, Borgen, listed in Entertainment Weekly mag as Steven King's best show of 2012. Since his other picks were similar tastes as ours, I looked for the series. Since the DVD's require an all-region player, I was lucky I found it with the help of Google, starting today. http://www.linktv.org/Borgen
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Link I believe is a Public Interest (PI) channel there is no map down for PI.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

On the Hopper the 9400 series channels stand out, as the HD channels in that range are mapped down only and do not appear on their "real" channel number. Depending on satellites one receives, one should get:
9400 BABY1 Baby First TV
9403 BYUTV BYU TV
9405 PNTGN Pentagon Channel
9406 ARTS Classic Arts Showcase
9410 LINK Link TV
9411 ENLC Enlace TV
9413 ALMA AlmaVision Hispanic Network
9415 FSTV Free Speech TV

There are additional "Public Interest" channels lower in the guide, notibly NASA, CSPAN and many of the religious channels in the 250s/260s.

#4 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

That's why I have a favorite list with all of the duplicate channels removed. I have to keep it updated, but this site helps me know when things change.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#5 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks so much for the info; this is why I really enjoy this forum!!
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

That's why I have a favorite list with all of the duplicate channels removed. I have to keep it updated, but this site helps me know when things change.

Exactly what I do.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have a rudimentary understanding of the "mapdown" process. Recently I noticed that LINK TV, on channel 9410, has no corresponding three digit mapdown. Occas., I scroll through the guide to see what new stations have been added. LINK is only available on 9410. Does anyone know why or if other stations are only available this way, also?

I found out about LINK as I was "researching" a TV series, Borgen, listed in Entertainment Weekly mag as Steven King's best show of 2012. Since his other picks were similar tastes as ours, I looked for the series. Since the DVD's require an all-region player, I was lucky I found it with the help of Google, starting today. http://www.linktv.org/Borgen

I also have lots of finding LINK.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

On the Hopper the 9400 series channels stand out, as the HD channels in that range are mapped down only and do not appear on their "real" channel number. Depending on satellites one receives, one should get:
9400 BABY1 Baby First TV
9403 BYUTV BYU TV
9405 PNTGN Pentagon Channel
9406 ARTS Classic Arts Showcase
9410 LINK Link TV
9411 ENLC Enlace TV
9413 ALMA AlmaVision Hispanic Network
9415 FSTV Free Speech TV

There are additional "Public Interest" channels lower in the guide, notibly NASA, CSPAN and many of the religious channels in the 250s/260s.

Some model receiver also have (or had in the past) those other PI channels in this 4-digit "neighborhood" (I recall it started in the upper 9300's with some of the religious channels that also appear in the 260's).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Some model receiver also have (or had in the past) those other PI channels in this 4-digit "neighborhood" (I recall it started in the upper 9300's with some of the religious channels that also appear in the 260's).

There are still a couple of mirrors in the 939x range. Nothing that is not available to most viewers elsewhere. I believe they were put there for the "Family" package or some other special package.

spam firewall