Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Zero Hour

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image

ABC to Encore Tonight's Premiere of "Zero Hour" on Sunday Night.

Said rebroadcast will replace the special "Revenge for Real: Rocky Mountain Retribution" at 10:00/9:00c . . . .

READ MORE

Hopefully, the encore wont somehow cancel tonight's recording on my STB

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Drew! I am going to double check my To Do List.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

I wish they wouldn't reuse titles. I thought this was about the 50s B&W movie.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm set to record the show.

Here is an interview with the creator and executive producer.

I like this part:

"This is one of those reverse-engineered series where, unlike a lot of the other serialized shows, we know exactly what the last frames are. We know exactly what the end of the story is. And so, really, I built up an architecture on the front end of it, this idea of a man getting drawn into a large conspiracy, to get to the endgame that I wanted to get to,” said Scheuring.

Assuming all 13 episodes are broadcast, we get a complete story.

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I wish they wouldn't reuse titles. I thought this was about the 50s B&W movie.

Hollywood hasn't been original in decades:p

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

^^ Pathetic isn't it. All the money they take from us and none of them can buy a brain to think up something original.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

^^ Pathetic isn't it. All the money they take from us and none of them can buy a brain to think up something original.

If you watched the show last night, you would know the reason for the title. Then, too, young writers of today probably never heard of the 50's movie.

The show seems to show promise. I've set up timers to record the series.
The rebroadcast of the premiere will be at 10 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

good news, I missed it.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I really liked the pilot. But then I really liked the pilot for The Americans also, and I am not too jazzed about where it has gone since.

There are a lot of good things to be said about the show. Anthony Edwards is no matinee idol (matinee idols all have chins), but that might be a strength in trying to portray an "Everyman". This is a Jimmy Stewart made-for-Hitch**** character, and he has had years of honing his chops on ER to get pretty good at this portrayal.

Also, the others in his little Scooby Gang are good and believable, likable and charismatic (of course you can't flesh them out much in a conspiracy pilot; I wonder if the casting company is the same one for Californication since both supporting characters were on that show. And Addison Timlin is hiding a lot of her talents in this show that were visibly on display there.)

But the show also seems well thought out, and well produced. The first hour moved along pretty good, and kept me entertained all the way through. Without giving much away, there is a dramatic reveal at the end of the pilot that really underlines how serious this conspiracy just might be, and expands the possibilities to potentially include time travel, cloning, reincarnation, the supernatural, and who can guess what else.

Here is where I think there may be an issue, and that is that the entire focus in a conspiracy-based theme is the conspiracy. And referencing Nazis and the Rosicrucians is sort of a gimme, and by now, tired, derivative, low-hanging fruit. In X-Files there was a conspiracy, but the show was more than that, and they could move between self-contained episodes that never mentioned the conspiracy and episodes that mentioned not much else other than the conspiracy, with a lot of ease. Of course any time they went to the conspiracy I started to yawn, but that's not the point. In Lost there was an overarching series of nefarious conspiracy-like questions that drove a lot of the series, but they could also use that as a platform to give us really entertaining stories about the characters.

I think if they are smart, the producers will learn from that and try to build out these characters on their own in spite of the conspiracy story. That can help support the conspiracy itself, especially if there are weak points there. It also is a hedge against being too popular; if the show is lucky enough to get picked up, they would otherwise need a brand-new conspiracy for year two, and if they begin to merge personal stories in with the current conspiracy, that will lay the groundwork for that.

But Zero Hour as currently envisioned is forced to hang its hat on the conspiracy alone, and that means as a viewer you have to pay attention, show up each week, and do the hard work of following (and remembering over a minimum 13-week span) every moment of the story, something you don't have to do when casually tuning in to The Mentalist or CSI, which is one of the reasons those shows are successful; you can drop in and out whenever, and still not be missing anything.

The conspiracy genre can work in movies like National Treasure or The Davinci Code, because you only have to show up once; you get beginning setup, middle, and end resolution all in one sitting. You just paid 12 bucks, and you're already invested. To stay involved in a conspiracy-based series, you have to show up every week, and remember and keep track of what passed before. That's not easy, and a lot of folks will drop off along the way because of that. Their only hope is to run all eps in a row, or sell this show to Netflix who will post them all at once.

The best thing you can do as a viewer is record all eps, and then watch them in a marathon next summer; that relieves the burden of remembering and keeps the energy level up. After all, you don't read Robert Ludlum by reading one chapter once a week, separated by reading other chapters of other books, do you? And that points out the flaw of the conventional delivery system, at least for serialized stories. Netflix is probably on to something.

But then this show also has Paul Scheuring as its show runner and visionary, and the first season of Prison Break was about as good as writing for TV gets. Second year, not as good, third year, hard to watch due to it being all violence and not much else, 4th year, ridiculous if still somewhat entertaining. Based on that, I would like to predict that at least the first 13 of this one, assuming we will be treated to all 13, will hold up pretty good. Time will tell.

On another note, earlier I referenced a notable movie director, Alfred Hitch****, who was a master of suspense, and possibly the best and most famous director ever. In reviewing my post, it appears the forum does not approve of the last four letters of his name. I'm sure you can all fill in the blanks, but this points out the ridiculousness of the nanny state we live in. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about that. Even more oddly, Californication seems to go through unscathed.

Edited by TomCat, 16 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

...Hopefully, the encore wont somehow cancel tonight's recording on my STB

Well, you can fret about that, or simply set a manual recording for it, twice. Manual recordings are not affected by what else the unit does (assuming you have tuners available), so the odds are stacked pretty much with you.

The encore does indicate that the network is well-invested in this show being a success, and that can only be a good thing for the show's health.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

One for the record books:
On ABC, the premiere of Zero Hour earned a 1.3, the lowest for an ABC in-season scripted premiere ever.

That's pretty close to Zero!
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#12 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I liked it. It's good for a few more weeks unless it bombs.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Tvbythenumbers has it as certain cancellation.

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Tvbythenumbers has it as certain cancellation.

In any other case but ABC at 8:00 pm on Thursday that would be a certainty. But anyone remember "Missing" which in March and April of 2012 had demo ratings like 1.4/4? And "Last Resort" had demo ratings of 1.2/3. They both ended up being mini-series, apparently a new trend at ABC.

ABC is giving the pilot another shot tonight. The network has ordered 13 episodes. They could probably cut it to an 8 episode mini-series order without causing any plot holes.

Casting and writing in this show and "Missing" does not seem to be emphasized. But running towards and away does seem to be a constant.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

If it ends at 13 or 8, so be it, but this show rocks.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I had a hard time staying engaged with it. I kinda knew what was going to happen after about 5 minutes in regards to what happened with Laila and whatnot. Hopefully next week will be better.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I very much like the premise, but I thought the acting/directing was terrible.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I very much like the premise, but I thought the acting/directing was terrible.

Yeah, I think they tried to put too much into a 1 hour premier.

And the line by the FBI agent at...
Spoiler

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#19 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I thought the show was OK and it kept my attention throughout. Have it set to record all new episodes. We'll see what happens.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#20 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

...ABC is giving the pilot another shot tonight. The network has ordered 13 episodes. They could probably cut it to an 8 episode mini-series order without causing any plot holes.

If it ends at 13 or 8, so be it, but this show rocks.

Since they have already said that thre are twelve clocks with maps (How did they inscribe diamonds on 1939?) I would assume that there are twelve shows, one per clock, and a finale to wrap up the conspiracy. Shortening it to eight might be difficult give the premise of the twelve new apostles.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

Protected By... spam firewall...And...