Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: "To record episode press R on your remote control" annoying popup

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Anyway to get rid of the annoying popup "To record episode press R on your remote control" on my HR34 and genie that keep coming up on the channels I watch the most, and it seems like it gets on more channels as I watch more programming as I am a new directv customer. I have recording tips off, have genie set to off, have tried red button reset, but nothing works!

Any solution to this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Anyway to get rid of the annoying popup "To record episode press R on your remote control" on my HR34 and genie that keep coming up on the channels I watch the most, and it seems like it gets on more channels as I watch more programming as I am a new directv customer. I have recording tips off, have genie set to off, have tried red button reset, but nothing works!

Any solution to this?

Push the record button.

#3 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Turn off recording tips.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Turn off recording tips.

He stated recording tips are OFF in his original post.

-Funk

#5 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Yeah recording tips are off yet it still pops up. Pushing record button records the program. Once deleted samething reappears. Is anyone else having this problem too?

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Yeah recording tips are off yet it still pops up. Pushing record button records the program. Once deleted samething reappears. Is anyone else having this problem too?

Try turning it back on then off again, if that doesn't work then try resetting the receiver and try the recording tips off and on again.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   gvc

gvc

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

been there, done that...I take it that some arent receiving this message? I dont get in on all channels but only on popular channels. my locals, cnn, fox, etc. I have done all that is suggested. always figured it was a software bug that would eventually get fixed , but have had updates since if first reared its ugly head with no fix.

#8 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Any solution to this?

You could try using the Reset Defaults options on the Reset Menu.

Also, "sometimes" it does more to unplug the receiver for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
  • lugnutathome likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I ended up unplugging the receiver for a good amount of time, and after plugging it in and everything reseting it went away! Thank you for all the help especially the last post as that seemed to have resolved the problem by having receiver unplugged for a prolong time.

#10 OFFLINE   gvc

gvc

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I ended up unplugging the receiver for a good amount of time, and after plugging it in and everything reseting it went away! Thank you for all the help especially the last post as that seemed to have resolved the problem by having receiver unplugged for a prolong time.

how long did you leave it unplugged and exactly what did you do , if anything, after plugging it back in and after reboot? I tried this and it failed to solve the problem but I only left it unplugged about 2 or 3 minutes. I also tried to reset defaults but that didnt work either

#11 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I had genie unplugged for over 30 mins I believe. Try that, it resolved my this issue on both the genie and the client. I didn't touch the client however.

#12 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

This morning the record pop up appeared on CH 206 espn! I checked the other channels it came on before it hasn't reappeared yet but I have a feeling it will eventually.

#13 OFFLINE   Matt Dillion

Matt Dillion

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Any solution to this?

Exactly my problem! Upgraded to HR34 and have this^^^very annoying popup. Any help here would be appreciated.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

There is a simple fix... Set up at least 5 series links and let them record something,
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   Matt Dillion

Matt Dillion

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

There is a simple fix... Set up at least 5 series links and let them record something,

Thanks, I'll try that.

#16 OFFLINE   itvtech24

itvtech24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

I'll try that as well. Something I realized is if you unplug the receiver twice within a 10min span(i've heard within 30 works too) it flushes out the guide and that popup disappears for a few days, but does pop back up after a few days. I'll try the 5 series links after it starts popping up again.

#17 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Recording tips. Turn on then back off followed by a reboot. I have not seen the pop up since.

#18 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'll try that as well. Something I realized is if you unplug the receiver twice within a 10min span(i've heard within 30 works too) it flushes out the guide and that popup disappears for a few days, but does pop back up after a few days. I'll try the 5 series links after it starts popping up again.

2 reboots within a 30 minute timespan flush the guide data, todo list, "My DirecTV, sometimes logos, etc. It can take up to 48 hours for all of that stuff to rebuild.

You should never just unplug the receiver unless it is completely locked up and unresponsive. You should use the GUI menus to perform a reboot whenever possible.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have the same problem. Also have recording tips off, etc.

What do you mean by record 5 series links (I'm new to the Genie). Do I have to constantly have 5 series links set to record?
By resetting to default, what am I wiping out? In other words do I have to re-enter my networking information, i.e. router password and all that?

#20 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Recording tips. Turn on then back off followed by a reboot. I have not seen the pop up since.

I tried turning tips back on and then off, and then as it happened I had to reboot the genie for another reason. Still getting that popup. Oh, and the reason I came here is because now it pops up in the middle of watching a show even when I didn't change the channel!!! Grrrr...

Edited by mystic7, 11 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...