Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: "To record episode press R on your remote control" annoying popup

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I believe he means set up series links for 5 different shows. I think if you let all 5 record at least one episode you can then delete all 5 series links and the pop-up still shouldn't come back.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yes, exactly that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Yes, exactly that.

Good, that's what I thought, but I don't have genie yet so I wasn't 100% sure.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am getting some new information on this... it might be necessary to leave the series links on the DVR for an extended period. Of course you could just ignore them or set up series links for reruns of The Brady Bunch and tell it "new episodes only."
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

I am getting some new information on this... it might be necessary to leave the series links on the DVR for an extended period. Of course you could just ignore them or set up series links for reruns of The Brady Bunch and tell it "new episodes only."

Why the Brady Bunch? or is that just an example:D

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#26 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Marcia, Marcia, MARCIA!

#27 OFFLINE   jhart05

jhart05

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Didn't feel this deserved it's own thread ...

I don't get your pop-up anymore, the one that is starting to get on my nerves is the dual-tuner note.

"You have activated the dual-tuner ...etc... It will be available for 2 hours."  Or whatever it says.

Yes I know DTV, I understood how it worked after the first pop-up.  You didn't need to remind me these last 100+ times.

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Didn't feel this deserved it's own thread ...

I don't get your pop-up anymore, the one that is starting to get on my nerves is the dual-tuner note.

"You have activated the dual-tuner ...etc... It will be available for 2 hours."  Or whatever it says.

Yes I know DTV, I understood how it worked after the first pop-up.  You didn't need to remind me these last 100+ times.

That's double-play (having two tuners active, so you can switch between them)...it needs to give SOME sort of acknowledgement that the feature is engaged. If it didn't, there would be people complaining about that.

Stuart gave the solution, but the reason you are getting the pop-up is that without a few series links in place the software keeps assuming you are a new user and need reminding that you can record your favorite shows. Once you start setting up a few recordings (5 is the magic number, apparently) the "reminder" goes away.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

DTV: finding new and unhelpful unsolicited ways to annoy us since 2010.

I would prefer that just once they fix a real problem, instead of providing fixes to problems we don't have. It seems their mission statement is to get the phone to stop ringing, while most companies concentrate on improving the user experience instead.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#30 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

I did set up series. did not change the default options on  the DVR popup went away but if you need to have (always) at least 6 series links it is not realestic  to do your DVR will keep recording shows and fill up my DVR any other way to make pop up go away

#31 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

I did set up series. did not change the default options on  the DVR popup went away but if you need to have (always) at least 6 series links it is not realestic  to do your DVR will keep recording shows and fill up my DVR any other way to make pop up go away

Then why have a DVR?  Isn't the whole point to set it up to automatically record your favorite series?  After you view them, you delete them, then they won't "fill up" your DVR.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#32 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

I meant Could you set options for each of those 6 series links first run and  Repeats will it work?

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I meant Could you set options for each of those 6 series links first run and  Repeats will it work?

Yes, and you could limit the series links to one program, first run only. But I don't believe you have to keep 6 series links active in order to make the hint go away. However, the belt and suspenders way would be to always have 6 SLs set at all times. Could even be for a series that's not currently aired, I think. 

Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Could you set options for each of those 6 series links first run and Repeats will it work?

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yes.

#36 OFFLINE   sportman13

sportman13

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Laxguy

I meant Could you set options for each of those 6 series links first run and with out Repeats will it work?

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes! Just do it!

#38 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Why do you have a DVR if you are not going to record any series? That's most of the reason for having one....you set up a series for your favorite programs, then you watch the episodes, then you delete the episodes you have watched.....

#39 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Laxguy

I meant Could you set options for each of those 6 series links first run and with out Repeats will it work?

So are you saying you dont have 6 different shows you watch on a regular basis?  Seems rather odd to have a 5-tuner Genie and not watch at least 6 different shows a week.  Its a beautiful thing to setup automated recordings for all your favorite shows, so you never have to worry about missing a new episode or being home on time for your favorite shows.

Edited by CCarncross, 02 July 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Why do you have a DVR if you are not going to record any series? That's most of the reason for having one....you set up a series for your favorite programs, then you watch the episodes, then you delete the episodes you have watched.....

My parents love their DVR, but they never have more than 2 or 3 season passes/series links at a time.  They just individually select shows they might want to watch later.  They never have more than 3 or 4 shows that they're interested in during a season.  They watch most of their TV live, they just want the DVR in case they won't be home to watch it.

I don't get it either, but if they're happy I'm happy.

spam firewall