Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV WHDVR and Uverse Internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I currently have AT & T DSL internet Pro package. Speed of only 3 mbps. I am considering going to Uverse Max Plus with speeds up to 18mbps. I also have the DirecTV WHDVR. I was wanting to have a faster connection for my Netflix account and also for DirecTV Cinema.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with At & T Uverse and the DirecTV WHDVR. Specifically if it works well with the DirecTV WHDVR?

With my current setup with a Linksys Cisco 3000 router the WHDVR was constantly dropping off so I disconnected the internet. Several on here say I need to set up static IP addresses, but I am unsure how to do this. I was wondering if Uverse internet had the same problem with the DirecTV WHDVR?

Any help or experiences with Uverse internet and WHDVR would be helpful to hear about.

Thanks.........................:)

Edited by mjm76, 14 February 2013 - 10:54 PM.
spelling

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

U-Who will require a modem/router change and I use their 2Wire, which works fine with default settings here for me. No need [for me] to use static IPs.

I have their 12 Mb/s service and can what HD ondemand in real time.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

U-Who will require a modem/router change and I use their 2Wire, which works fine with default settings here for me. No need [for me] to use static IPs.

I have their 12 Mb/s service and can what HD ondemand in real time.

VOS,

Thanks for the quick reply. So you have not had any receivers dropping off your network with DirecTV WHDVR and Uverse?

This is great news if you have not had any problems with this configuration! I was scared getting Uverse I would have the same problems with receivers dropping off.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

I just got U-verse, way out in the country, so I get just under 3 mbps.... but it's steady, and I tend to let my VOD happen at night, to watch in later days.
A new modem, a new system, but no problems thus far. Before I had Comcast, and occasionally it would crawl.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   twowheelchopper

twowheelchopper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I have U-Verse Max (12Mbps) and have no problems with the DHCP coming from the AT&T U-Verse Router. I used to have the AT&T DSL Elite (6Mbps) and had no problems there either. I've seen the STBs drop-off on reboots or power loss sometimes and I just re-run the network setup on them and they work fine. Make sure you only have one DHCP server on your network, let the AT&T router handle that. Also the DirecTV Cinema (on Demand) is limited to DirecTV's servers and connections on their end. They still will require the download lag time even with your higher speed.

#6 OFFLINE   noroll

noroll

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Max Turbo 24Mbps here. It's way overkill but works great. Can watch instantly well... instantly

#7 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I have 18Mbps speed with U-Verse, and I have no problems either with WHDVR.

All my receivers talk fine to each other, and VOD works at a reasonable speed. I don't do VOD very much because Netflix and Amazon Prime instantly stream to my TV, while I have to wait for VOD to finish.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have 18Mbps speed with U-Verse, and I have no problems either with WHDVR.

All my receivers talk fine to each other, and VOD works at a reasonable speed. I don't do VOD very much because Netflix and Amazon Prime instantly stream to my TV, while I have to wait for VOD to finish.

You need to wait for it to finish? :confused:
I can use the watch now option, and when I had a 6 Mb/s connection, only needed to wait long enough to not run out of buffer.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I only have 3mbps from Comcast Economy Plus, the lowest and cheapest high speed plan, And when I download VOD I wait a minute or two then start watching with no waiting for it to complete, As long is there enough in the buffer to watch, and notice that when you start watching it downloads faster that way.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I only have 3mbps from Comcast Economy Plus, the lowest and cheapest high speed plan, And when I download VOD I wait a minute or two then start watching with no waiting for it to complete, As long is there enough in the buffer to watch, and notice that when you start watching it downloads faster that way.

3 Mb/s and SD works fairly well. You need about 10 Mb/s for HD to work as well.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I currently have AT & T DSL internet Pro package. Speed of only 3 mbps. I am considering going to Uverse Max Plus with speeds up to 18mbps. I also have the DirecTV WHDVR. I was wanting to have a faster connection for my Netflix account and also for DirecTV Cinema.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with At & T Uverse and the DirecTV WHDVR. Specifically if it works well with the DirecTV WHDVR?

With my current setup with a Linksys Cisco 3000 router the WHDVR was constantly dropping off so I disconnected the internet. Several on here say I need to set up static IP addresses, but I am unsure how to do this. I was wondering if Uverse internet had the same problem with the DirecTV WHDVR?

Any help or experiences with Uverse internet and WHDVR would be helpful to hear about.

Thanks.........................:)

I wanted to update everyone on the above post. I did get Uverse Max Plus internet (speeds up to 18 mb/s). I have had it for 8 days and I want to report that it is working very well with the DirecTV WHDVR. I have been on the Uverse now for 8 days and I have not had any of my 4 DirecTV receivers drop off the network. I have also tried DirecTV VOD and it starts playing almost immediately! So far so good!

I want to thank everyone who responded to me in this thread, especially VOS who posted within minutes of me posting my thread. This is a great forum!

Edited by mjm76, 28 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...