Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Latest Worldwide Stats on Smartphones

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Android and Apple's mobile operating systems were on 91 percent of the smartphones shipped globally in the last quarter of 2012, according to a report from IDC on Thursday, meaning that the fight for third place will be a mighty one between BlackBerry and Windows.

Google's Android operating system was on 70.1 percent of phones shipped, with Apple's iOS on 21 percent

http://www.nbcnews.c...stems-1C8369539
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

Love how they have to get Apple into the headline, no matter what. CNET did exactly the same thing. Headline reads as if the 91% is somewhat evenly divided between Apple and Android, when in fact the lion's share of it is Android. Why not just say that 95% is made up of Android, Apple and BlackBerry?

To be fair, I was shocked to Android so far ahead of Apple.

#3 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

First off I am Android all the way, but I have to think that Apple having 20+% by having what is essentially one phone model is impressive.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

First off I am Android all the way, but I have to think that Apple having 20+% by having what is essentially one phone model is impressive.

I would say there are at least 3 iPhone models. There are definitely enough differences between the 3G, 4, and 5 for them to be considered unique.

That percentage seems to be going to the wrong way for Apple, though. While I am an Android user, it still shocks me to see how quickly things have turned.

#5 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

I would say there are at least 3 iPhone models. There are definitely enough differences between the 3G, 4, and 5 for them to be considered unique.

That percentage seems to be going to the wrong way for Apple, though. While I am an Android user, it still shocks me to see how quickly things have turned.

I agree that there are 3 models but those are improvements to one phone by one company. Android is on numerous phones by numerous manufacturers. So essentially one company has 20% while the 70% is shared among many companies and Android versions.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

I agree that there are 3 models but those are improvements to one phone by one company. Android is on numerous phones by numerous manufacturers. So essentially one company has 20% while the 70% is shared among many companies and Android versions.

But isn't Samsung beating Apple all by itself?

#7 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

consistanlty for the last couple of years, why do you think apple is hitting smasung with court orders left and right

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Apple indeed have currently 3 models. iPhone 4 the 4S and iPhone 5. The 3G was decommissioned last year when the 5 came out. But note that the 4 is only available in 8GB and the 4S is available on 16GB while the 5 is available on all "flavors"

so not sure if the previous iPhones can qualify as true choices since not all options are available on those.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

To be clear...the biggest surprise I had from these latest statistics was how small the BlackBerry and Windows marketshares were.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

To be clear...the biggest surprise I had from these latest statistics was how small the BlackBerry and Windows marketshares were.

As a previous Blackberry user (I still have my 4 Blackberry phones) I'm not surprised at all. Rim (now Blackberry) just didn't see the writing on the wall, kept putting out the same phones with different model numbers (Blackberry users know what I mean) and just didn't get with the program, holding on to the past.

#11 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Yupper. I have 4 Android phones, my first being the Nexus One. Presently I'm using the Samsung SGII, going to get the NoteII today or tomorrow. In Sept. I may upgrade again to the SGIV or the NoteIII. Samsung just puts out a great product.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yupper. I have 4 Android phones, my first being the Nexus One. Presently I'm using the Samsung SGII, going to get the NoteII today or tomorrow. In Sept. I may upgrade again to the SGIV or the NoteIII. Samsung just puts out a great product.

See, that's why I am an Android guy, I HATE Samsung phones. Everyone I know that has one has had issues, ranging form mildly annoying to worst phone ever made. I'm an HTC guy.

But Samsung works for you, you like them, and that's great. And that's the great part of Android, choices.

#13 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

See, that's why I am an Android guy, I HATE Samsung phones. Everyone I know that has one has had issues, ranging form mildly annoying to worst phone ever made. I'm an HTC guy.

But Samsung works for you, you like them, and that's great. And that's the great part of Android, choices.

HTC makes great product. I used a Inspire until I upgraded to the SGII, Missy is now using the Inspire (in her words "A upgrade from the iphone."). Of course all my Android phones have been rooted and running various custom roms, another advantage to Android.

#14 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I was always a huge Blackberry fan, had every model, have a drawer to my right that's like a museum going back to the pager type devices. Now I just rely on Apple to treat me right, click on few links at 3am once per year during the pre-order period, a new device shows up, and transition in a few minutes with a back-up and restore. Hopefully I'm now good until they put me in the ground, or something else comes along.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#15 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,294 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Interesting statistics. I got my wife an iPhone 4S because she didn't really like the original Droid she was using and is more comfortable with the iPhone. I have a Droid Razr Mazz and am very pleased with it. I'll stay with Android. Even one of my kids says that after 3 iPhones he's getting an Android phone next time. He just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab that he really likes and wants to have just one common platform to use.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...