Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H24-700 771 Message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I just got an H24-700 from D* last night. Setup went fine, although I was unable to get all the channels I get in the living room on mu DVR's. On some of the channels I am geeting a 771 message. I called D* and the tech tried some things, but we were unable to get results.

After thinking about it for awhile, I went back in to satellite setup to make sure I set the type of dish correctly and I did. Still no luck.

When I go into satellite setup, I am getting a warning that says I need a B-Band converter. Is this true?

I am only getting three sats on the test instead of the 5 I get in the living room. I have tried to reset the reciever with no luck.

Any suggestions?
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yes, you need the B Band converter ( s ) unless you have the SWM system.

Press the dash button on the remote. If you have SWM it will say SWM Detected.
If not it will give the receiver ID number.

Call DirecTV and they will send it to you for free.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yes, you need the B Band converter ( s ) unless you have the SWM system.

Press the dash button on the remote. If you have SWM it will say SWM Detected.
If not it will give the receiver ID number.

Call DirecTV and they will send it to you for free.

This is the first time I have gotten a refurb from D*. They did not send a B-Band converter. Go figure! That's why I buy my stuff brand new. It's a pain in the butt!

Thanks for the help
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#4 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Update:
I installed the b-band converter and reset the reciever. Unfortunately, some of the channels I was not getting before, I am now getting, but some of the channels I was getting before, I am not getting, such as USAHD and FXHD, just to name a few. I am now getting the Lifetime channels that my wife watches and some of the ESPN channels.

I was doing some thinking, and I am wondering if the problem could possibly be a connection on my multiswitch. I forgot if there is a special input for the analog reciever that needs to be changed to an HD input on the multiswitch.

Thanks! :confused:
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

We need more information on how your equipment is really set up.

Are you sure you have a Slimline 5 dish? It will be kind of oval shaped and say slimline on thr front, and there will be an LNB on the end of the arm with 3 round white horns on it.

How many lines do you have coming down from the dish into your house? If you only have one coax line coming down from the dish then you have a SWM setup and you shouldn't be using a BBC. If you have 4 lines coming down from the dish you need to go look at where they go and see what kind of a switch you have. It could be a WB68, or a SWM-8. If it's a SWM 8 you should not be using a BBC.

You also need to make sure the reciever itself has the correct settings selected. For example Slimline 5 and multiswitch, or slimline 5 and SWM if you have a SWM 8, or Slimline 5 SWM LNB if you just have a SWM LNB.

Finally, the other thing to check is to make sure it isn't using some kind of a custom guide. Bring up the guide and then hit the yellow button and see if it is set to a custom guide, if it is change it to channels I get and then see if you are getting all your channels. Also look to make sure if you have SD channels hidden etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

This is the first time I have gotten a refurb from D*. They did not send a B-Band converter. Go figure! That's why I buy my stuff brand new. It's a pain in the butt!

Thanks for the help

Check the signal strengths on the satellites, 99c, 103ca and 103cb.
You probably need just a little bit of tweaking of the alignment.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

We need more information on how your equipment is really set up.

Are you sure you have a Slimline 5 dish? It will be kind of oval shaped and say slimline on thr front, and there will be an LNB on the end of the arm with 3 round white horns on it.

How many lines do you have coming down from the dish into your house? If you only have one coax line coming down from the dish then you have a SWM setup and you shouldn't be using a BBC. If you have 4 lines coming down from the dish you need to go look at where they go and see what kind of a switch you have. It could be a WB68, or a SWM-8. If it's a SWM 8 you should not be using a BBC.

You also need to make sure the reciever itself has the correct settings selected. For example Slimline 5 and multiswitch, or slimline 5 and SWM if you have a SWM 8, or Slimline 5 SWM LNB if you just have a SWM LNB.

Finally, the other thing to check is to make sure it isn't using some kind of a custom guide. Bring up the guide and then hit the yellow button and see if it is set to a custom guide, if it is change it to channels I get and then see if you are getting all your channels. Also look to make sure if you have SD channels hidden etc.

Check the signal strengths on the satellites, 99c, 103ca and 103cb.
You probably need just a little bit of tweaking of the alignment.

I definitely have a Slimline 5 with four lines coming into the house. The multiswitch is a Zinwell WB68.

The reciever is set to Slimline 5 and multiswitch.

No custom guide is selected.

Signal strengths are interesting:
99C- All 90's living room and bedroom.
103ca- 40's to 70's in the bedroom and all 90's in the living room.
103cb- All 90's living room and bedroom.
101- All 90's both
110- All 90's both
119- All 90's both

Of note, there are one or two splitters going to the bedrooms. Could this be an issue?
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes, you should never use splitters on a DIRECTV system that uses a WB68 multiswitch.

I am seriously surprised and disappointed that a DIRECTV tech did not see these issues when he visited. Or are you saying that you only spoke to them on the phone?

If this is something you want to work through yourself, we are happy to. You also may choose to call DIRECTV, tell them you have an older system, you were given bad information on the phone, and politely request that a tech visit your home at no charge. Most likely he will do some rewiring and possibly move you to a SWM system (as that's all that is done in residential systems now) to solve the problem.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yes, you should never use splitters on a DIRECTV system that uses a WB68 multiswitch.

I am seriously surprised and disappointed that a DIRECTV tech did not see these issues when he visited. Or are you saying that you only spoke to them on the phone?

If this is something you want to work through yourself, we are happy to. You also may choose to call DIRECTV, tell them you have an older system, you were given bad information on the phone, and politely request that a tech visit your home at no charge. Most likely he will do some rewiring and possibly move you to a SWM system (as that's all that is done in residential systems now) to solve the problem.

Thanks for the info. I only spoke to someone over the phone. A tech has never been to my house, as I do all the install myself and always have. When I had the analog reciever in the bedroom, I had no issues.

When I get a chance, I will remove the splitters and run a straight line to the bedroom. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder

Protected By... spam firewall...And...