Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cult

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

He isn't a household name, but "Farscape" creator and writer Rockne S. O'Bannon has a new series, "Cult", starting Tuesday at 9 pm on The CW. (He also a producer on the most recent "V" and is the executive Producer of the upcoming series on Syfy "Defiance".)

Here's a synopsis:

Investigative journalist Jeff Sefton (Matt Davis, “The Vampire Diaries”) has learned to live with his younger brother Nate’s relentless string of obsessions, especially his latest rant that a hit TV show intends to harm him. However, when his brother mysteriously disappears, Jeff takes Nate’s paranoia seriously, and in the process uncovers the dark underworld of the TV show “Cult” and its rabid fans.

The fictitious show, centered on the cat-and-mouse game between a charismatic cult leader and the detective who was once a cult member, has become an obsession for its viewers – and now some of its devotees seem to be taking their fixation to deadly extremes in the real world.

Yeah, I know, it's on The CW which raises issues. But whatever you think, you have to respond to this creepy pic on the promo:

Posted Image

Edited by phrelin, 16 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I know, it's on The CW which raises issues.

Yes, I doubt I'll add the CW to my channel list just for this.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I may give it a try, can't be any worse than most of the garbage on tv, and I did like Farscape. ron

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

...Yeah, I know, it's on The CW which raises issues...

There are issues? It seems to me that the CW has been pretty bold in trying new dramas, and while CW never really has been able to generate a sustained audience, their track record is probably as good as some other networks in bringing us watchable fare. Some of my favorites are on CW, and I can't think of a season where there were not at least two dramas on CW that were pretty good. Of course I also can not think of a season where there were not a handful of throwaway duds and shows targeted directly to a narrow 12-18 female and possibly lowbrow demographic, but then let those who have had no Storage Wars nor Here Comes Honey Boo Boo programming gems cast the first stone.

My largest interest in Cult is to see how Robert Knepper (T-Bag from Prison Break) acquits himself. T-Bag was a great character and Knepper really chewed up the scenery. From what I can tell from the promos Knepper is the lead villian in Cult. But based on the very little I know at the moment, my gut feeling is that this show will not find an audience unless is it exceptionally good, and exceptionally lucky. Hope they prove me wrong on that.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

First ep now out in the wild.

What I found most jarring, was that Robert Knepper sounds like a real person, and an intelligent one to boot. I should not have, but I sort of expected T-Bag's southern drawl to come lilting out, instead of Laurence Olivier. Oh well, Damian Lewis and a bunch of other brits and aussies still throw me for a loop when they break character, and I'm probably not alone.

The cast seems strong. The production seems cheap and amateurish, even cheesy like a mid-90's Canadian import. And that is probably what will kill this Cult. The writing is above average, possibly enough to keep me interested. The show-within-a-show aspect is interesting, but confusing and unoriginal. It feels like the show has little budget, and that shows.

But guess what, even with its faults it is still a much better show in many ways than the other "cult" show, The Following. I think by coincidence there are more "cult" shows coming, and soon. I think Cult has a chance, as it is somewhat original, just not all that much of one. It kind of has a FreakyLinks vibe to it, which was a similar show on FOX about a dozen years ago.

I give them points on the music, which unless I miss my guess, is composed by the lead actor in the series, something not seen since J. J. Abrams. At least they are trying to be Trent Reznor; too bad they don't have anywhere near the talent or ability of Trent Reznor. Still a step above the conventional yawn of theme music for The Following, which generates no mood whatsoever.

They also are not resorting to slasher-film shock moments like TF. More points for that, more taken away from TF. The "man in the wall" moment showed that they could handle a dramatic high point tastefully and without sinking to the level of TF, which tries to do that by artificially enhancing the drama (not to mention goosing the sound track), which seems to have the opposite effect of making it fall on its face. Spine-chilling on Cult, douche-chills on TF.

Less is more; if you have a dramatic moment, let it breathe on its own; don't try to hit us over the head with it. Cult did it correctly, TF never could find that basic capability. I don't want to make this a bash fest against TF, but they probably deserve it, and it's probably too late; It's also not my fault they tried to do a cult show and screwed the pooch, while at about the same point in time Cult, with probably one-tenth the budget, pulls it off with ease.

I don't see it catching on, but it's probably too early to tell.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Cancelled!

http://tvbythenumber...-reruns/177335/
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,860 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

The last episode finally had the damn thing making some sense and they pull the plug.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

And, as if it weren't bad enough, the remaining finished episodes are not scheduled to be broadcast. Maybe later, but I wouldn't count on it.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#9 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Glad I only wasted my time on 1 ep then. Don't know what it was but I couldn't get into it. Now I can free up some hard drive space.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Glad I only wasted my time on 1 ep then. Don't know what it was but I couldn't get into it. Now I can free up some hard drive space.

This could have been my post; I used the very same approach that you did. More HDD space is liberating, isn't it?

So this is the new order: make a SL for a show you are on the fence about, but unless you hear something compelling about further eps or it becomes a hit and you give it another chance, wait to see it drop; then clean your HDD like it never was there in the first place. 2 TB HDDs make that possible; been doing that a lot lately, it seems.

Buh-Bye, Cult.

#11 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Always fun to go through when I am full and start deleting stuff, that at one time, I thought I just had to have recorded. I've got something like 37 new episodes of Futurama on the chopping block.

spam firewall