Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cant get hd on direct tv i installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bzmannn

bzmannn

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I recently installed a new sl5k4nro-02 dish with a H23/600 receiver
I have great signal on sat101 which i assume is SD but no HD signal I bought a pi-21 power inserter and a SWM 4 way splitter but still no signal. Do i even need this? My dish doesn't have SWM on it. I tried a few different sat setups

Do i need to fine tune my dish azimuth friggin frustrating with so many answers i get

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

OK, you don't need a power inserter or a splitter. What you need is to aim the dish so it gets the 99 and 103 satellites.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Look up your azimuth, elevation and tilt (skew) on dishpointer.com making sure you choose the right dish (DIRECTV 5LNB) from the drop-down menu.

Set the tilt according to the results (if it isn't already).

If your mast is plumb (absolutely vertical), you should be good to go.

You need to be certain that there is NOT a BBC connected to the back of the H23.

If you're unable (or unwilling) to do all of this, call for professional help.

Self-installing is overrated.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   bzmannn

bzmannn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

perfect answer now just have to tweak it thanks

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I recently installed a new sl5k4nro-02 dish with a H23/600 receiver
I have great signal on sat101 which i assume is SD but no HD signal I bought a pi-21 power inserter and a SWM 4 way splitter but still no signal. Do i even need this? My dish doesn't have SWM on it. I tried a few different sat setups

Do i need to fine tune my dish azimuth friggin frustrating with so many answers i get

Your dish choice should be Slimline 5
and choose Multiswitch.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   bzmannn

bzmannn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

one more stupid ? If i am trying to line up sat 99 and 103 for hd with dishpointer They both have different elev and skew do i just split the difference when fine tuning dish

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

The Slimline 5 is aimed at 101. Once you have a decent SD signal, you should be able to find the HD signal - you may have to make very small adjustments. Peak the dish on 101. If you are not getting anything on 99 or 103 check your slew/tilt.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

one more stupid ? If i am trying to line up sat 99 and 103 for hd with dishpointer They both have different elev and skew do i just split the difference when fine tuning dish

You're making this a lot harder than it is.

First off, you point the dish as an assembly, not for the individual feed horns. dishpointer.com has the DIRECTV dish in its list (under Multi-LNB Setups near the bottom of the satellite list). Use those numbers (do NOT ignore the skew) and you're good to go.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall