Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 Video Stutter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Is this indicative of a HD problem? It's happening on every recorded program.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Have you reset the receiver to see if it goes away ?
Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

Have you are the System Test ? Does it get any errors ?
Menu, Settings, Info & Test, Run System Test

Edited by jimmie57, 16 February 2013 - 11:04 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Have you rest the receiver to see if it goes away ?

Yes and no. I'll run a system test. Thank you.

#4 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Have you reset the receiver to see if it goes away ?

I ran the system test. No errors found. The video stutter is across all channels, live or recorded, which makes sense considering all signals pass through the hard drive.

#5 ONLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I ran the system test. No errors found. The video stutter is across all channels, live or recorded, which makes sense considering all signals pass through the hard drive.

My HR21-100 started with the same thing you are experiencing,Recorded and live programs started freezing/blocking,I couldn't record a program and do anything with my unit at all. I ran the hardrive short and long test twice a week for almost 3 weeks they always came back ok. Then finally i got the hardrive failing code. Went to a external 1TB drive and i'm happy to report my Dvr is the best its ever been. I would bet the drive is getting ready to go.

#6 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Is this indicative of a HD problem? It's happening on every recorded program.

Most likely a hard drive issue. I had an HR24 test out ok across the board. Even the advanced tests accessed right after boot screen. It was doing the same thing on recorded show playback that you are describing. Slap a new HD in it.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I would now call DirecTV for a replacement. If you are using the Built in Over the Air capability that is in this receiver you need to tell them you want the same model you have now.
Tell them all the things you have tried so far.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've seen some weird things happen in the last couple of months with my HR20. Sometimes for no apparent reason, everything going through the HD starts hicuping like the frame sequence is 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 6, 5, 7 etc. Rebooting has always cleared up the problem. When I reboot, the screen shows a bar graph and indicates about 32 errors. The bar graph never fills in and when about 6 errors are "fixed", it finishes rebooting and then works ok. Don't know if that is relevant or not. It's only happened twice so not a big issue unless it can't be fixed by rebooting.

#9 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I've seen some weird things happen in the last couple of months with my HR20. Sometimes for no apparent reason, everything going through the HD starts hicuping like the frame sequence is 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 6, 5, 7 etc. Rebooting has always cleared up the problem. When I reboot, the screen shows a bar graph and indicates about 32 errors. The bar graph never fills in and when about 6 errors are "fixed", it finishes rebooting and then works ok. Don't know if that is relevant or not. It's only happened twice so not a big issue unless it can't be fixed by rebooting.

I've rebooted several times without any improvement. The good news is it's in a guest room and not used that much. The bad news I had every episode of The Walking Dead on this particular machine. They used to play great but no more. I'll get around to calling DirecTv for a replacement sooner or later.

#10 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've rebooted several times without any improvement. The good news is it's in a guest room and not used that much. The bad news I had every episode of The Walking Dead on this particular machine. They used to play great but no more. I'll get around to calling DirecTv for a replacement sooner or later.

With some helpful guidance I was able to access the service menu. The problem is with the HD. At 213 errors the surface scan aborted. It also failed two other HD tests.

#11 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

If you want to keep the OTA features of your HR20, it's pretty easy to pop in a new HD. I own mine and replaced the HD some years back when the original failed. DTV isn't accepting HR20s for return so you'd be safe in doing a replacement. The HR20 does offer some advantages in its built-in OTA and it still isn't a slouch compared to some models that you might end up with as a replacement. You can get a 1TB HD for around $50 if you shop around.

#12 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

If you want to keep the OTA features of your HR20, it's pretty easy to pop in a new HD. I own mine and replaced the HD some years back when the original failed. DTV isn't accepting HR20s for return so you'd be safe in doing a replacement. The HR20 does offer some advantages in its built-in OTA and it still isn't a slouch compared to some models that you might end up with as a replacement. You can get a 1TB HD for around $50 if you shop around.

I ordered a replacement and specified OTA capability. They don't want this one back so I may replace the HDD and keep it for future use. I need to get some guidance on what is involved in doing the replacement.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...