Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1H and 3J, can a Joey w/ ethernet feed Internet via MoCA?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimbo78255

jimbo78255

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have 3 Joeys running off 1 Hopper. Only one of the Joeys is really easy to connect to my ethernet and it seems to be working fine (IP address, etc). My Home network can 'see' all 3J and 1H, but some of the functions on the Hopper say something like 'you need an Internet connection for this to work'.

I have not found any kind of FAQ that illustrates my configuration or weather it will work?

One thing I have considered is to put a WIFI adapter on the Hopper, but would prefer to put my own on ratehr than buy a Dish version, so which brand might work without driver problems, etc?

TIA

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

The only wireless adapter that will work is the Netgear WNDA3100v2 which IS the one that DISH sells.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have 3 Joeys running off 1 Hopper. Only one of the Joeys is really easy to connect to my ethernet and it seems to be working fine (IP address, etc). My Home network can 'see' all 3J and 1H, but some of the functions on the Hopper say something like 'you need an Internet connection for this to work'.

I have not found any kind of FAQ that illustrates my configuration or weather it will work?

One thing I have considered is to put a WIFI adapter on the Hopper, but would prefer to put my own on ratehr than buy a Dish version, so which brand might work without driver problems, etc?

TIA

Go to the broadband menu and select moca and then hit the blue key 2x. Select bridging, enable and save. That will pass the full IP to the Joey and then they will have full access to the apps. Then you will no longer need the Joey Ethernet connection.

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

The proper way to do it is to purchase a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector). It's a bridge device that can plug into the coax line between the Joey and the wall, and will connect the entire Hopper network to the ethernet network you plug into it.

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

The proper way to do it is to purchase a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector). It's a bridge device that can plug into the coax line between the Joey and the wall, and will connect the entire Hopper network to the ethernet network you plug into it.

That is not the proper way to do it. Bridging through the hopper is the preferred connection method. Adding a HIC just adds another possible fail point.

#6 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

He's not plugging the ethernet to the Hopper - he's plugging it in the Joey. I don't think bridging will allow the Joey to pass the IP to the Hopper. A HIC is the best way to connect ethernet to a H/J system in his situation.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

TIA

Make sure on the front of your Hopper it does not say Hopper with Sling if it does the WiFi adaptor is built into the DVR.;)

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome_s

#8 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

He's not plugging the ethernet to the Hopper - he's plugging it in the Joey. I don't think bridging will allow the Joey to pass the IP to the Hopper. A HIC is the best way to connect ethernet to a H/J system in his situation.

Correct, in the case where a hopper is not near the router, but there is a Joey, the HIC would be the best method. Or even if there is only a coax line there that can be integrated.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...