Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your driving force..

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your driving force in choosing a provider (217 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your driving force in choosing a provider

1. Pricing (29 votes [13.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.36%

2. Technology (63 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Programming Options (122 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

4. Customer Service level (3 votes [1.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Just curious from a statistical point. What is the main driver when choosing your television provider? This isn't aimed towards any specific provider. Also, Promotional Discounts/Offers falls under pricing, not customer service. I'd adjust the poll, but, erm, don't know how after i've already done it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,245 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Programming for me.

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,035 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I voted technology. Actually I watch surprisingly little television. There is absolutely no way I can justify what I spend based on what I watch. I just love the technology and working/playing with it. To be honest, an entirely OTA solution would meet my viewing needs. But I must have a DVR and enjoy what DirecTV offers in that regard.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Programming is my main choice. Technology is a close second.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,983 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Can't vote. I make a "value" selection based on the items you mentioned. You are asking for a sole pick and I don't have one of those four that overshadows the others.

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Programming for me. The exact reason I left Charter. The amount of options I have now through DirecTV doesn't even come close in comparison.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Every provider carries the channels I mainly watch so that's never really a consideration.

I'd say pricing and technology are equal considerations.

Didn't vote.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

All of the above.

If the price is not quite right with the programming options available. I could and may choose otherwise.

#9 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

It's really a combination of programming choices,price and equipment.

A provider must have the channels I want in HD,but the price must be reasonable and the correct equipment ( HD DVR capable of at least 100 hrs of hd recording) .

#10 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

I've chosen DirecTV back in '05 just for NFL Sunday Ticket. In addition to that, I've stayed because of the other out-of-market packages, the Sports Pack, and international football (soccer). The En Español add-on pack has helped me pick up the Spanish Language as well.

But all that aside, between the HD picture quality; the HD DVR; and the fact that I could live almost anywhere without necessity to change providers; DirecTV's technology is equally impressive. However, I'm not one to choose restaurants and hotels based on decor and silverware.

#11 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Programming is what made me switch in '97 (Speedvision was launched and my cable co. had no plans on adding it) then the technology made me stay. What is interesting is that that channel is what might finally push me to cord cutting. Like Carl I cannot justify what I pay for what I actually watch but there is no other source for motorsports. If the upcoming conversion of Speed to Fox Sports 1 means the end of all non-Nascar motorsports coverage I will probably leave. I must have a DVR but Tivo is only $14.99 /month and I can stream or buy series sets of any non-OTA programming I watch.
My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Programming was my driver, technology was a close 2nd to (keep in mind in 94 DSS was high tech to me) All of the above has kept me a loyal customer!

#13 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Programming is a clear number one to me. Technology and Pricing are in a photo finish for number two.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#14 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I voted programming but I don't know that technology isn't as important. Unless the programming was head and shoulders above DIRECTV I don't think I'd leave as I really like their Genie and whole home system along with TV to go.

I went to Directv in the late 90's because my local cable system (centre video that became att and then comcast) just didn't offer much. When they dropped COURTV the wife finally said OK.

#15 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

For me, it's flexibility. I have seven boxes, as there are seven locations where TV is viewed in my home. Nobody else will provide that many boxes.

#16 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

All are important to me but if I'm not getting the programming I want to watch then all else is moot.

1 Programming
2 Price
3 Technology
4 Customer Service

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

NFL Sunday Ticket
NFL Sunday Ticket
Price/technology/customer service

If the playing field is level as to programming, then I'd look at the combination of other factors.

From time to time, mostly in my role here as a moderator/reporter/communicator and interested party, I compare pricing and features for what I want, assuming everyone had NFL Sunday Ticket.

Comcast wasn't even close in pricing and technology as I want DVRs everywhere. And I have a huge library of recordings I don't want to give up. (Then there is customer (lack of) service with them too...) :)

So I'm pretty sure I'd stay with DIRECTV, regardless.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#18 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,024 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Good thread. Tough topic.

It's easy to rule out price, but tough between programming and technology.

I'd say its now fairly even between FiOS and DirecTV with programming, but I consider DirecTV to clearly lead in technology, for now.

Since DirecTV also has NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, it's an easy choice.

And add DBSTalk, and it's a slam dunk.

This can change over time, but I've yet to experience any time where I've considered another provider to beat DirecTV, and I'm continually evaluating. I have both DirecTV and FiOS TV (as a backup and to play), but DirecTV is the primary for the 7 HD TV's.

The keys from a technology perspective are quad tuner (or better) DVR capability, multi-room viewing with independent tuner enabled MRV clients, offline (sync and go) viewing, and mobile access for scheduling/management. DirecTV is clearly the leader but interested in testing the future FiOS VMS1100.

Certainly fun to play and compare.

Edited by Sixto, 17 February 2013 - 02:15 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#19 OFFLINE   jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Technology and quality of service is why I love Directv.

#20 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Technology , would have picked programming if i had more of a all a cart choice

Protected By... spam firewall...And...