Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your driving force..

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your driving force in choosing a provider (217 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your driving force in choosing a provider

1. Pricing (29 votes [13.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.36%

2. Technology (63 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Programming Options (122 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

4. Customer Service level (3 votes [1.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Programming, first and foremost...but these days, that is nearly identical from all providers. So it falls to technology as the second most important issue.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sports programming. Sunday Ticket and others.

#23 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

for me its an equal combination of programming & price

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#24 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

For me it is programming - specifically the out-of-market regional sports channels.

#25 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I can't vote. My option isn't up there. I choose a provider based on reliability of service. My previous provider was comcast and I was having outages at least once a month.

#26 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Can't vote. I make a "value" selection based on the items you mentioned. You are asking for a sole pick and I don't have one of those four that overshadows the others.

Understandable. I kinda wanted to do a ranking type poll, but didn't know how to do one. Maybe one of the mod's can help with that xD Also want to thank everyone for their continued participation.

#27 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I selected Technology as when I selected DirecTV in 1994, it was the only pay-TV service available at my location without having some gigantic monstrosity (C-Band dish) in my yard.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#28 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

SUNDAY TICKET!

#29 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

It depends on the situation. At this point is has to do with HD quality. When I switched from TW to D*, it was pricing. I sacrificed HD content, but I did notice better quality HD. That was a year and 4 months ago. Now D* has caught up with HD offerings, including my locals. AT least for the channels I care about. Sports content is not even a consideration for me.

In May, I'm elegible for a free upgrade to an H34. That would mean a two year contract. I have to decide if I'll keep D*'s high pricing, or sacrifice HD quality and content and go with Dish in October and get lower pricing for a year. I'm not sure how they fare in local HD content. D* offers ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, MY, ION, in HD, as well as PBS and three spanish channels.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Programming.

Got directv for out of market sports and movies back in the 90s.

Have had Comcast and Fios in house recently. Felt crippled by choices. Dish doesn't have the sports.

So I stay. Content.

Would be interesting if this were in a dish or fios or Comcast forum. I'd bet dish would have a higher price group and fios a higher tech group. Comcast would have a higher "I'm dumb as crap" group. :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Can't vote because it is a combination of technology and programming, and then to a lesser extent price. Don't care on customer service because I don't call very often.

I could switch right now and probably save $20 a month (last time I did the math) with my cable co for a similar package. Directv's technology is head and shoulders above my local cable co and also has slightly better overall programming (but add in ST and its no contest).
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#32 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

For me, I chose DIRECTV in the beginning because I had two options, both satellite. DIRECTV had better programming for me (Sunday Ticket) and so that's the direction I went.

14 years later, I still have two choices and continue to stay with DIRECTV primarily because of the technology they offer (and the hope of the PAC12 Network being picked up eventually). :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#33 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I dislike time warner cable, plus dish made me mad.. so Direct is the clear and better choice

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Programming and technology are tied together in my book. I want HD programming, but I want it delivered correctly. As in...not the Dish Network way.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I voted pricing because my main reason is not listed as an option. The main reason I subscribe to DirecTV is reliability. Here in New Jersey my only other option is Comcast Cable. I've had Comcast and have several neighbors who do. The problem is that Comcast is extremely unreliable, in my area Comcast goes out all the time. In the summer, even a moderate thunderstorm will take out cable service for upwards of 12 hours and any time we have significant winds (ie: winter storms) the cable will go out for anywhere from 6 to 72 hours.

My neighbors had no cable TV service for over a month after Hurricane Sandy but my DirecTV worked fine as soon as the evacuation orders were lifted and we were allowed to return home.

For me DirecTV = reliable; Comcast = extremely unreliable; OTA = unreliable (due to distance).

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#36 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Technology and reliability pretty much. I switched back to DirecTV after being fed up of no cable after three storms and the cable companies said that they don't have backup power to keep it running. They could have just as easily plugged in a generator to the power supply for their system like the other cable companies do. Oh well, their loss.

I chose DirecTV over Dish because they're the only provider I can really use with my Tracvision setup.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

None of the options fit. I don't have a single "driving force".

However, price vs programming and technology are probably the largest contributors.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#38 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Programming and quality of the signal.

#39 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Programming and technology are really a tie for me. Availability is pretty high up there too (my only other choice is Dish or OTA). Customer service is up there too. Price is at the bottom of the list for me. I don't see how people complain about the price, to me I think it is a pretty good deal. Even with the most expensive package your monthly bill breaks down to only about $5/day. There isn't much else out there that you can get for $5/day that would provide you with as much choice, and entertainment. You have access to hundreds of channels a lot of which are available 24 hours a day for $5, compare that to going to a movie theater to watch one 2-hour movie for $10. Or a couple hour sporting event or play for $20 or more, etc.

I mean it's a pack of cigarettes/tin of tobacco/cup of cofee a day.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#40 ONLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Programming and one specific channel are the drivers for me. They even override technology (due to LOS issues, I can't get HD service through DirecTV.)

That one channel is MASN, for my Washington Nationals Games. DirecTV carries it and none of the local outlets do. Uverse has moved into my neighborhood but I'm not willing to give up my Nationals games for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...