Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your driving force..

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your driving force in choosing a provider (217 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your driving force in choosing a provider

1. Pricing (29 votes [13.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.36%

2. Technology (63 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Programming Options (122 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

4. Customer Service level (3 votes [1.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

For me it was not about equipment in the beginning, it was about a combination of programming and pricing, but since i only had expanded basic cable service before they went digital with no hd besides locals and no cable boxes just straight connection to tv. But now i have all the hd programming i need and hd dvr's and best pricing compared to comcast.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

... mobile access for scheduling/management.

True mobile access or using mobile devices within the home?

FIOS has an iPad version and it seems to have many of the same features that DIRECTV offers with their iPhone version. Neither seems to approach the functionality (away-from-home) that one would expect from using the term "mobile access" when applied specifically to DVR management.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#43 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

The programming makes the decision for us. If I were to lose three critical channels, DirecTV becomes just another of many similar services.

#44 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

The most powerful driving Force there is right now of course....

Attached Thumbnails

• Force-Courtney-NHRA.jpg

#45 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Programing, technology & reliability work together.

#46 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Programming and one specific channel are the drivers for me. They even override technology (due to LOS issues, I can't get HD service through DirecTV.)

That one channel is MASN, for my Washington Nationals Games. DirecTV carries it and none of the local outlets do. Uverse has moved into my neighborhood but I'm not willing to give up my Nationals games for it.

You can see 101 but not 99 and 103? That's a very tight window!

#47 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

True mobile access or using mobile devices within the home?

FIOS has an iPad version and it seems to have many of the same features that DIRECTV offers with their iPhone version. Neither seems to approach the functionality (away-from-home) that one would expect from using the term "mobile access" when applied specifically to DVR management.

What would you expect? The fios app can schedule and delete programming. It reports on your dvr status including what's on it and disk space.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#48 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

You can see 101 but not 99 and 103? That's a very tight window!

My dish shoots through a notch between two tall trees. One of them is on my property (I think), one of them is not. It is a very tight window.

#49 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

SUNDAY TICKET!

That's the primary reason why I haven't made the switch myself.

I'd probably give U-Verse a try, otherwise.

#50 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Initially, I became a DirecTV customer (in 1996) because of customer service and programming (for me, Customer Service = overall satisfaction of a service). The crappy service the Cablevision provided caused me to go to a satellite service and Sunday Ticket caused me to go with DirecTV over Dish.

Now, it's Technology, Programming and Customer Service in that order.

#51 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Funny thing is, if you asked the same question with the same choices on the Dish Forum you would get exactly the same answers.

#52 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I can't vote. My option isn't up there. I choose a provider based on reliability of service. My previous provider was comcast and I was having outages at least once a month.

Same for me. Comcast (or was it Continental Cable back then) would go down for hours on clear and bright weekend day for no apparent reason. Picture quality was better too back then. That was 15 yrs ago. I haven't looked back.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Funny thing is...I originally picked DirecTV for programming and am still with them largely for programming but my more recent experiences with Comcast and Fios (and even Tivo) have left me cold not only for programming but for technology.

Comcast DVRs are horrible. Fios are better but still cumbersome and missing a lot of key features I have grown used to. Neither does a good job with grouping programming. Tivo was very nice when a DirecTivo but a cable card implementation is more of a mashup than an integration and I hated it (so much so that I gave away my Tivo and chose to use the fios DVR).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#54 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

To me, it's NFL Sunday Ticket, and HD sports packages.

#55 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

My dish shoots through a notch between two tall trees.It is a very tight window.

Tight is a matter of perspective. The satellites are less than five degrees apart in Raleigh so the window you need is a little over 5' wide at 30' away from the dish.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#56 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Tight is a matter of perspective. The satellites are less than five degrees apart in Raleigh so the window you need is a little over 5' wide at 30' away from the dish.

Tight enough that both the installer and supervisor were unable to obtain a line of sight for either side satellite.

#57 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Sunday Ticket is probably the biggest thing for me. That being said, if Sunday Ticket moved to a cable provider, I would probably stay with DirecTV. Technology is a close 2nd for me. The DVR's are DirecTV seem to work great for me. I would not trade my HR34 for anything.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#58 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I voted Technology, but that was mainly because I am tied to the DirecTV DVR system. I have too much stuff recorded to give it up. Plus although I was opposed to it when it was rolled out, I have really come to like the dual SD/HD channel #'s. When we visit my M-I-L, she sits and watches SD programming because she "forgets" to tune to the HD version (she is on UVerse and their HD channels the 1000 version of the SD one). DirecTV has also thwarted my parents on this aspect.

Second is programming. Simply put, being grandfathered in with the Distants, I simply can't go anywhere else or I'll lose them. ST used to be a factor, but with a teenage daughter, I simply don't have many free Sunday's to do nothing but sit and watch football.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#59 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

They all have the programming I want. And the sat companies have DVR's that have several tuners and plenty of storage so it all comes down to price.

#60 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

None of the above for me. I picked my provider based on who had the best post-hurricane signal. Satellite hands down. DirecTV won over Dish at that time simply because the local paper had a DirecTV ad instead of a Dish ad that week.

Sometimes it's simply about luck, not about your marketing drivel, the abysmal crap spewing out of studios these days, nor even your price, if you are remotely competitive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

spam firewall