Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your driving force..

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your driving force in choosing a provider (217 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your driving force in choosing a provider

1. Pricing (29 votes [13.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.36%

2. Technology (63 votes [29.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

3. Programming Options (122 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

4. Customer Service level (3 votes [1.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

None of the above for me either, it's the only choice I have if I want any of the networks other than CBS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

For me, it was that D* was the best deal I could get with the best picture. I had Charter cable and in our area was horrible at the time. Probably still is, have no idea. I shopped E* as well, but in the end I got best deal I could with D*. To save, I even installed the old round dish myself.
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

#63 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

MLB Extra Innings

DirecTV has both home and away feeds, only want to listen to Giants announcers.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#64 OFFLINE   prozone1

prozone1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

NFL Sunday Ticket

#65 OFFLINE   Iceman0803

Iceman0803

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

I didn't vote because all of the options come in to play for me. However, my top 2 are pricing and tech.

#66 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

The technology got me in the door, and the technology keeps me here. Sunday Ticket was just gravy on top.

When I originally bought into DirecTV, I perceived them as the superior picture and they had the guide, which, compared to cable's scrolling guide channel, was an outstanding feature to this TV fiend. Then there was the Ultimate TV DVR which I just loved. Now HD DVRs, DirecTV cinema/VOD, phone apps, iPad app, Genie, DirecTV Everywhere...it just keeps getting better and better.
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#67 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is a tough one.
The #1 reason I'm currently with DirecTV is because they offer so many NHL:CI games in HD. Is this programming or tech?

Either way take away the DVR and I'm gone.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#68 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Didn't Vote

When I originally moved from off air to a service, I didn't like cable or their reputation so I looked at Dish and Directv. Didn't care about the sports and Dish was Cheaper, so I went with them. After 7 years, I got into a dispute, the CSRs treated me badly and on my third call, I told them that I could get what I wanted with Directv and they said "go ahead", so I did. Didn't cancel Dish until AFTER Directv was installed. Didn't know about retention. They offered me the moon to stay but it was too late. Been happy with Directv ever since.

My sister has Dish and from what I've seen, I think that Directv is better

#69 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Pricing and technology for me. I left cable after about 30 years of service. It just got too expensive. The only thing I miss are the On Demand 3D options I had with Comcast. Both HBO and Starz gave you 3D movies as part of the HBO and Starz package.

#70 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Technology brought me to DirecTV in October 2004. I could record HD locals OTA with my STB. It was awesome! It was many years after that before Cox and Verizon FiOS had all the locals in HD. Sunday Ticket has kept me with DirecTV... I'm fine now. Really no reason to switch providers...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

spam firewall