Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Setup Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tazman

tazman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I have been with D* for about two years and have outgrown my setup. I have made a deal with them to change me from 2 (HR24) & 2 (H24) setup.

I'm getting a HR34 and giving up one of the H24's which will give me a total of 9 tuners. D* said they were only going to charge me 99 for the receiver and nothing for the install or if they need to change the SWM setup.

My question is I only have an 8 way splitter in the house on my present setup and one line that comes in from the dish. What will be needed on my install?....Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

The LNB assembly in your dish will be replaced, you will have four coax rather than one coming down from the dish, and an SWM16 will be installed in place of the splitter.

The SWM16 will have two outputs, each capable of handling 8 tuners. Probably the HR34 will be placed on one of the outputs, and your other units on the other output.

The SWM16 is powered, so you will also get a power inserter (which can go almost anyplace) to power it.

#3 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just went through this type of upgrade to a HR34, kept 2 HR24 and replaced a H24 with the genie for a total of 9 turners. Tech replaced the existing LNB with a 4 coax LNB, installed a SWM 16 and replaced the existing power inserter (21v) with a new (29v) inserter. Took less than and hour and he had to climb 2 ladders to get to the dish. 1 HR24 is on one of the outputs and the genie and other HR24 on the other.

#4 OFFLINE   tazman

tazman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks guys for the quick responses. My Dish is easy, it is pole mounted on the ground. I think I will run the extra three lines out to the dish before they come out. I think I got a great deal I think because I see a SWM 16 is like 279.00 retail on Solid Signal. Now to just keep paying that bill. I try everything all the time and even thought about switching to Dish for the PTAT and the faster speed of their STB but I see their Blockbuster @home is doomed and they are always in a fight with Networks over price! D* has added more HD recently which content is more important to me than the fastest technology. I like D*'s GUI and the boxes are not that slow anymore.

I recently have tried a Roku (bad idea) no parental controls and recently got on Redbox instant with Beta to see what they have to offer.

Edited by tazman, 17 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

So the SWM16 will be mounted at the house?
You could let the tech run the lines, but up to you.
For my up grade the tech shows up, I explain whats needed, he agrees.
Then he starts pulling out a spool of white cable, I say I want black, to got with the house trim.
He is out of it so I go in the garage and get my spool of black, give him what he needs to complete the installition.
SWM16 is mounted under the protected part of the house, and all you see from the dish is a bundle of black coax..
They seem to run out of black cable alot...

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

So the SWM16 will be mounted at the house?

It can be mounted many places, indoor or out. It could even be at the dish, then you would only need 2 coax rather than 4 coming into the house (one for each output of the SWM16 rather than 4 to it's inputs).

Generally at or in the house is what will happen unless there is some overriding reason to put it elsewhere.

#7 OFFLINE   tazman

tazman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

It can be mounted many places, indoor or out. It could even be at the dish, then you would only need 2 coax rather than 4 coming into the house (one for each output of the SWM16 rather than 4 to it's inputs).

Generally at or in the house is what will happen unless there is some overriding reason to put it elsewhere.

So the SWM I guess is a weather proof device then ? My only problem is I have metal scrappers that live next to me and they seem to take anything not nailed down. I'm surprised my dish has lasted as long as it has. I think I'm going to ask the installer to put it in my basement. the runs from the dish to where the lines split and go to the televisions is about 40 ft.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks guys for the quick responses. My Dish is easy, it is pole mounted on the ground. I think I will run the extra three lines out to the dish before they come out. I think I got a great deal I think because I see a SWM 16 is like 279.00 retail on Solid Signal. Now to just keep paying that bill. I try everything all the time and even thought about switching to Dish for the PTAT and the faster speed of their STB but I see their Blockbuster @home is doomed and they are always in a fight with Networks over price! D* has added more HD recently which content is more important to me than the fastest technology. I like D*'s GUI and the boxes are not that slow anymore.

I recently have tried a Roku (bad idea) no parental controls and recently got on Redbox instant with Beta to see what they have to offer.

How was the Red Box streaming? Was there much streaming content? Could you tell what resolution the stream was putting out? I don't like the Rokus either.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

So the SWM I guess is a weather proof device then ? My only problem is I have metal scrappers that live next to me and they seem to take anything not nailed down. I'm surprised my dish has lasted as long as it has. I think I'm going to ask the installer to put it in my basement. the runs from the dish to where the lines split and go to the televisions is about 40 ft.

I've got two SWM16s, one outside and one inside. I do plan to put the SWM outside in my utility room if I ever get around to it. I'm not a big believer in weather "proof" anything, but the SWM outside hasn't given me any problems. I do want to change the rubber grommets, I think they'd be a weak point as far as weather goes. I prefer the term weather "resistant" when it comes to outside equipment.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   tazman

tazman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Rich

I have tried Roku and I don't see why everyone is so crazy about it?, I have tried the latest Blueray players from LG to Pany and I'm not impressed either ! I went to Redboxinstant.com and they emailed me a beta invite code. They are only at 720 and it is cropped on my beautiful 16x9 DLP. The content is lacking so far but it is still Beta. The thing that attracts me the most to them is $9.00 a month for all the streaming and 4 Blueray disks out a month included.

I hope once they go live they have lots more and television series shows and give Netflix a run for their money. I figure if it is half way decent then I will stay with them because it's $5.99 for one movie with DirecTV. There never seems to be enough content available and we have lots of stuff recorded but that is each person in my household and not something all of us want to watch together i.e.: cakeboss is not something I'm interested in for sure.

There are two things I wish Directv would do 1) Allow us to make personal folders for all DVR recordings so it is more organized :nono::nono: and start some kind of monthly subscription stream service at a set fee. Who knows ?

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Rich

I have tried Roku and I don't see why everyone is so crazy about it?

I had a few, think I have one left. Sold them on eBay. I don't like them either. They do seem to sell a lot of them, tho. I dunno.

I have tried the latest Blueray players from LG to Pany and I'm not impressed either !

I started with Sony BD players. Didn't like them. Tried a Panny and liked that. Until I happened to try a Sammy c5500 and saw the difference in streaming PQ. The Sammys are much better. Then I went up to the Sammy e6500 and wow! Even better streaming. I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but I have yet to see a BD player that performs as well as my two e6500s when it comes to streaming. I recently tried a Sony 590, the weapon of choice on some other forums and quickly sent it back.

Try an e6500, if you get one on amazon.com, it's easy to return if you don't like it. Just try it, please. Since you've gone the same route I have and tried most other streaming devices, I think you'll quickly see what I mean.

I went to Redboxinstant.com and they emailed me a beta invite code. They are only at 720 and it is cropped on my beautiful 16x9 DLP. The content is lacking so far but it is still Beta. The thing that attracts me the most to them is $9.00 a month for all the streaming and 4 Blueray disks out a month included.

I'm really satisfied with NetFlix, but when they put out the correct stream, I'll give Red Box a try.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,232 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I started with Sony BD players. Didn't like them. Tried a Panny and liked that. Until I happened to try a Sammy c5500 and saw the difference in streaming PQ. The Sammys are much better. Then I went up to the Sammy e6500 and wow! Even better streaming. I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but I have yet to see a BD player that performs as well as my two e6500s when it comes to streaming. I recently tried a Sony 590, the weapon of choice on some other forums and quickly sent it back.

Yep the Sammy BD-E6500 would definitely have better streaming quality as it supports 1080p as well as Subtitles, Alternate Audio & 5.1 Surround Sound

Sammy BD-C5500 only supports 720p and NO Subtitles, Alternate Audio or 5.1 Surround Sound

Sony BDP-S590 supports all the features the E6500 does.

At the links below you can compare different models to see what features the NF app supports:

Netflix Features on your Samsung Blu-ray Player

Netflix Features on your Sony Blu-ray Player

Netflix Features on your Panasonic Blu-ray Player

Netflix Features on your LG Blu-ray Player

Netflix Features on your Toshiba Blu-ray Player

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yep the Sammy BD-E6500 would definitely have better streaming quality as it supports 1080p as well as Subtitles, Alternate Audio & 5.1 Surround Sound

Sammy BD-C5500 only supports 720p and NO Subtitles, Alternate Audio or 5.1 Surround Sound

Sony BDP-S590 supports all the features the E6500 does.

At the links below you can compare different models to see what features the NF app supports:

Netflix Features on your Samsung Blu-ray Player

What gets me is the c5500s do upscale NF content to 1080/60p. I've seen these lists before and they never mention that.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...