Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie - Not (Ever?) For Me

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Mostly this is just a personal comment about why I will never (?) have a Genie

The Genie sounds great... 5 tuners and you may play recorded video on any box in the house

BUT

Twice in the last year one of my two HR23 boxes has died and been replaced... which means that all recorded shows ON THAT BOX were lost

I also have 2 older DTivo boxes, each with recordings

I shudder to think what would happen if I replaced those 4 separate recorders with a Genie... and then the Genie died and I lost ALL recordings

So... no plans to ever (?) replace my 4 recorder boxes with one Genie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Why not get a Genie and keep the others that you have (or all but the one the Genie replaces)?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Keep your other DVR's.
Don't have all your DTV's eggs in one basket...

#4 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thats what I did. Got a Genie last Feb, and kept my HR24 and HR22 for backup of my most watched programs. Won't lose a thing if one of them "goes South".
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#5 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

I've been using various iterations of DIRECTV's DVR technology since the introduction of the Philips DSR6000. In all that time, and with numerous DVRs over that period of time, I have had exactly one DVR (an R15) bite the dust. And when it happened, it was one of only two DVRs I had at the time, but it was replaced so quickly by DIRECTV that I completely forgot about any "lost" recordings, I recovered what I could from other sources, and then simply picked up where I had left off.

My point being, it's just TV. If it's that critical, store it on something other than a hard drive.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Thats what I did. Got a Genie last Feb, and kept my HR24 and HR22 for backup of my most watched programs. Won't lose a thing if one of them "goes South".

Direct sucks when it comes to backups ! You can use a external drive ! But its married to your reciever :mad: When it should be married to your acct ! Dish does it why cant Direct do it ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee !

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,226 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Direct sucks when it comes to backups ! You can use a external drive ! But its married to your reciever :mad: When it should be married to your acct ! Dish does it why cant Direct do it ?

You've brought that issue up time and time again. While most of us would want that, it does not like seem it will happen any time soon. DirecTV uses an encryption scheme that ties recordings to a specific receiver. DISH does not. Until DirecTV decides to redo their encryption scheme, which would most likely cost a lot of money, it's not going to happen.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I guess u use ur dvr different than me. I don't concider it as an archive. At most I keep shows for a couple of weeks before I watch them and delete.

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I love Dish's EHD setup, but please don't consider it a backup. You can only transfer - NOT - copy recordings because of DRM. It is nice that all VIP DVR and Hopper/Joey receivers in the account can read them and that you can use them to move to a new receiver, but again they are not backups.

#10 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

You've brought that issue up time and time again. While most of us would want that, it does not like seem it will happen any time soon. DirecTV uses an encryption scheme that ties recordings to a specific receiver. DISH does not. Until DirecTV decides to redo their encryption scheme, which would most likely cost a lot of money, it's not going to happen.

- Merg

With the 34s and 44s only having a 1TB drive internally and five tuners pumping content into the drives, I think eventually D* will see the light and, at least, allow for external drives to be viewed on replacement Genies. Seems logical, but that means nothing.

Rich

#11 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

I love Dish's EHD setup, but please don't consider it a backup. You can only transfer - NOT - copy recordings because of DRM. It is nice that all VIP DVR and Hopper/Joey receivers in the account can read them and that you can use them to move to a new receiver, but again they are not backups.

I have a Pat Murphey (hmm. Might be Murphy) living next door to me... :lol:

I don't understand why you don't think of those HDDs within the account as backups. Could you explain further?

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I guess u use ur dvr different than me. I don't concider it as an archive. At most I keep shows for a couple of weeks before I watch them and delete.

I guess Directv thinks differently than you too because they called the HR34 a "media server" when it first came out. Media Server would indicate the long term storage of large quantities of media for future playback. Directv only started calling the HR34, Genie when Dish called its big DVR, Hopper. Directv wanted to be able to say we have a cute name too. I personally think the reason the hard drives are small and we can't move them on Directv DVRs is that Directv makes a large profit off of PPVs and would rather have us buying and watching those than storing programming to watch later. I have the Premier package along with the HD packages. If I am patient my premium channels offer just about any movie I want and/or that Directv offers on PPV. This is how I stock my front projector Home Theater. I never buy PPVs and very seldom buy DVDs or Blu Rays unless it is something I want as a keepsake. I make the Premier programming package more than pay off for me. What I do now as a backup for my HR34 and HR24 is burn anything valuable to a DVD. I am not sure how much longer DVD burners or DVD players are going to be around though as there is only one factory left in China that make the chips for those. Everything is going Blu Ray or streaming. I have seen computer Blu Ray burners but have never seen a Home Theater component Blu Ray burner yet. My guess is that as the DVD burners are phased out we might start seeing those.

Edited by macfan601, 18 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I guess Directv thinks differently than you too because they called the HR34 a "media server" when it first came out. Media Server would indicate the long term storage of large quantities of media for future playback.

Long term storage would only apply to a media server you were actively backing up. Anyone that considers spinning disk without a backup strategy long term storage is not really thinking it through. What you're doing isnt backing up at all, its making a SD downrezzed copy, most likely from analog outputs....not anything remotely close to a backup.
:nono2:

#14 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Long term storage would only apply to a media server you were actively backing up. Anyone that considers spinning disk without a backup strategy long term storage is not really thinking it through. :nono2:

Oh I agree and that is why Directv is in the wrong here and should allow us to move the external hard drives. Until they put customers before profit I will use my DVD burner to do that. I guess I could use a second HR34 to do that as well, but oh wait, they have that screwed up from working right too.

I am going to state once again, I think Directv is currently the best TV service out there but I detest their business plan/model.

Edited by macfan601, 18 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I guess Directv thinks differently than you too because they called the HR34 a "media server" when it first came out. Media Server would indicate the long term storage of large quantities of media for future playback.

To me, media server would indicate that it serves media (shows) to multiple destinations - nothing about long term storage.

#16 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

To me, media server would indicate that it serves media (shows) to multiple destinations - nothing about long term storage.

LOL, just how could it serve media to multiple destinations without long term storage? DOH!!!! Using your definition Directv would have to take the hard drive out and instantly stream everything.

From the dictionary: By definition a media server is a device that simply stores and shares media

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

LOL, just how could it serve media to multiple destinations without long term storage? DOH!!!! Using your definition Directv would have to take the hard drive out and instantly stream everything.

From the dictionary: By definition a media server is a device that simply stores and shares media

But long-term does not enter into that definition. None of us disagree with you about what a media server does. But I don't believe many of us agree with you about a media server being considered long-term storage. Again, long-term storage can only be achieved with a backup strategy, not an analog copy strategy. Maybe Directv at one time referred to it as a media server, I have always thought of it as nothing more than a 5-tuner DVR that could be turned into a whole home DVR with the clients, or just an enhancement to your existing Whole Home setup.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

And does Genie not store and share media?

My Genie serves my media to multiple destinations just fine.

You don't need long term storage to do that. LOL. or is it DOH?

#19 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

And does Genie not store and share media?

My Genie serves my media to multiple destinations just fine.

You don't need long term storage to do that. LOL. or is it DOH?

It is going to be awfully tough to serve media that isn't long term stored. But each to their own. I use my HR34 (I hate the name Genie, sounds Disney like to me) to long term store/archive movies to supply my front projector Home Theater. Others use there DVR to time shift but that is not my thing. I have a hard drive attached to my router for short term storage. Media Share on a Directv box can see the hard drive attached to my router. I think the problem we have here is in definition of terms and in some here thinking their way is the only one way to use Directv equipment. Look at Rich and his multiple DVRs with external hard drives, certainly unusual, but it works for him.

Edited by macfan601, 18 February 2013 - 02:21 PM.
fixed grammar

#20 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,886 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Let's move along....

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

spam firewall