Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie - Not (Ever?) For Me

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I am still of the mind that I am VERY unlikely to switch from separate DVR boxes to a Genie

Which still makes no sense to me.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I have 5 DVRs and I'm quite happy with every thing the way it is as well. No need for a Genie.

#43 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

i have two DVRs and whole home set up - i hate that i can't manage both from one location. having the genie would eliminate this problem, but i'm trying to figure out the difference for my usage. am i correct that size-wise the two HR 24's have the same recording capacity as the one genie? are there any clear features gained or lost if i made the switch? of course the extra tuner... thanks for any additional insight!

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Same drive capacity and number of series links as 2 HR24s. However the 34 does support larger external SATA drives. The 24 maxes out at 2TB, the 34 currently has no known max.

I really can't think of anything the 24 can do that the 34 can't, other than working in a non SWM setup.

#45 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have 5 DVRs and I'm quite happy with every thing the way it is as well. No need for a Genie.

Likewise. If a Genie goes kaput, no TV.Other than 5 tuners I don't see the attraction. If it becomes necessary, I'll just set one of my other 4 DVRs to record. No biggie.
I pick things up and I put them down

Protected By... spam firewall...And...