Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelled Dish

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I called up yesterday for the dish movers program and i was told by the agent on the phone that install was scheduled Tuesday between 8a-12p,I come to find out looking online today that they scheduled it Wednesday from 12p-5p without my knowledge and with no phone call. I called up asked to speak to a super and they wouldn't help me whatsoever. I cant believe they are willing to lose a customer over their scheduling problem.
dish network AT250

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

yea dish doesn't care about it customer I been with them for 15 years, sub American everything pak...which they don't have listed anymore. I am paying $130 plus dvr fees and lease for a receiver I technically own already, because I paid its full retail value. I called and asked them to upgrade me to a hopper and they want me to sign a new contract and plus $100 dollars for a hopper. Dish is going to be bankrupt in a year or 2 is my guess.

They have so many major problems with keeping channels that subscribers want, and they seem to be hated by lot of major network carriers.

My bill went from 138 to 144...I am thinking of leaving dish and going with directv.

This what the tech support told me in the chat...some discount, lol

Reah May (ID: O1R): On 01/17/2013, the normal price of you Everything package increased by $15 and the DVR fee has an additional $1.The taxes has change as well. As a courtesy we provided a $10 discount for the next 18 months. The owners of television channels have been increasing the programming fees they charge to TV providers (DirecTV, Comcast Xfinity, DISH, etc.) by roughly 10% each year. As a result, TV providers must periodically adjust the price of their programming packages.

Reah May (ID: O1R): While the fees we pay to the owners of television channels are growing by 10%, the increase passed along to DISH's customers in 2013 is much lower than that. By fighting hard in programming negotiations, we have been able to keep our prices lower than those of all our competitors.

Edited by comizzou573, 18 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

yea dish doesn't care about it customer I been with them for 15 years, sub American everything pak...which they don't have listed anymore. I am paying $130 plus dvr fees and lease for a receiver I technically own already, because I paid its full retail value. I called and asked them to upgrade me to a hopper and they want me to sign a new contract and plus $100 dollars for a hopper. Dish is going to be bankrupt in a year or 2 is my guess.

They have so many major problems with keeping channels that subscribers want, and they seem to be hated by lot of major network carriers.

My bill went from 138 to 144...I am thinking of leaving dish and going with directv.

Reah May (ID: O1R): On 01/17/2013, the normal price of you Everything package increased by $15 and the DVR fee has an additional $1.The taxes has change as well. As a courtesy we provided a $10 discount for the next 18 months. The owners of television channels have been increasing the programming fees they charge to TV providers (DirecTV, Comcast Xfinity, DISH, etc.) by roughly 10% each year. As a result, TV providers must periodically adjust the price of their programming packages.

Reah May (ID: O1R): While the fees we pay to the owners of television channels are growing by 10%, the increase passed along to DISH's customers in 2013 is much lower than that. By fighting hard in programming negotiations, we have been able to keep our prices lower than those of all our competitors.

The funny thing is is the excuse he tells me "well it was due to a tech scheduling problem in your area" I would love to know why is that my problem. He started getting smart with me and I just let him have it,blames me saying why can't I understand..Why should I? I am a paying customer, If I was notified by cell I would of worked something out I understand things happen but they have no regard for customers at all..whatever their loss.
dish network AT250

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

The non-promotional price for DIRECTV's roughly equivalent Platinum package is $129.99 before hardware and fees. DIRECTV "gives" you the SPORTS PACK as part of that deal. Add to that the $25 Advanced DVR Service (HD, DVR and Whole Home DVR Service) fee and you're up to $149.99 before the cost of the second and subsequent TVs. There's $100/month in various real discounts (versus credits for included channels) for the first year and $30/month in year two.

If you're willing to ping-pong between providers, you can save some big money but the timing can be critical.

Even with lots of promotional discounting for first and second year subscribers, DIRECTV's ARPU (average revenue per unit - all packages combined) is hovering around $100 so you need to consider carefully whether changing is actually going to end up saving you money.

If programming is the concern, it is no less important and must also be factored in.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

1. Everything pack is available and listed on their site

2. $5 increase for this package (with the discounts) is a decent deal considering how much HBO and packages have gone up. MANY actually subscribed to it now, to get that discount.

3. Everyone pays that for a Hopper upgrade or more. Direct TV does the exact same thing and from reading posts charges more. Cable does not usually charge for an upgraded receiver, but they rarely actually have a decent upgraded unit, and they get it back with higher rates. Different business models. AND - if your payments are on time and have the Everything package the regular Hopper is $50 not $100 if $100 is too much. Installation can be free.

4. You do not pay a lease fee. You pay a one account DVR fee, and then a programming fee for each additional receiver.

5. Aside from the few months of discounts (which do save some money) overall Direct TV is no less expensive, often more. Depending on where you live you can also pay a $3 surcharge either now or soon for RSN's, with no choice on paying that.

Nothing wrong with Direct TV, it is my second choice should I not have Dish, only pointing out you will have the same concerns with Direct TV. And they have had several shutdowns of local channels this year. It is true they don't have as many national channels disputes, but they did this year - several were off during a dispute.

Edited by tampa8, 18 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I called up yesterday for the dish movers program and i was told by the agent on the phone that install was scheduled Tuesday between 8a-12p,I come to find out looking online today that they scheduled it Wednesday from 12p-5p without my knowledge and with no phone call. I called up asked to speak to a super and they wouldn't help me whatsoever. I cant believe they are willing to lose a customer over their scheduling problem.

You should not have been treated that way, no question. I will say there are plenty of posts where the supervisor did help to resolve the problem. I realize that doesn't make you happy.

#7 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I would love to know why is that my problem. He started getting smart with me and I just let him have it,blames me saying why can't I understand..Why should I? I am a paying customer, If I was notified by cell I would of worked something out I understand things happen but they have no regard for customers at all..whatever their loss.

So, you call Dish up and they're going to do an install for you for free (as part of the Dish Movers program.) They mess up the scheduling of an install that is going to cost them money, and you nothing. And your reaction is to be the typical American consumer: it's all about you. Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie!

While I agree that Dish should have called you, you can choose to be reasonable or you can choose to be a PITA. Your post here gives us a clue which way you're leaning...

I can't believe a customer who has been happy and satisfied with their service suddenly wants to cancel their service because of a scheduling difficulty. I suspect you've been looking for a reason to leave, and any excuse will do. But if you get one of DirecTV's slow DVRs, you may spend two years of commitment time wishing you could chuck the thing out the window. I've never been so glad to put a piece of electronics equipment in the UPS box to send back.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

The funny thing is is the excuse he tells me "well it was due to a tech scheduling problem in your area" I would love to know why is that my problem.

It is your problem because you needed the service call. It is not your fault, but it is your problem.

DISH probably over scheduled and some human corrected it. There are only so many people available to do installs and they all take time. Usually the problem manifests itself in the installer coming right at the end of the install window (unless you were first) instead of a cancellation. But once they get behind the cascade of bumped appointments begins.

(One reason why I like self install.)

BTW: A neighbor had a DirecTV install scheduled for last Thursday afternoon. The tech showed up at 3pm, kicked around the property until 4:30pm and then said they would be back with help (the install required crawlspace work and fishing). At 5pm the tech called and said they would be back Monday (not Friday). Today a completely different tech showed up, kicked around for an hour until the first tech stopped by - and then left. The second tech completed the install alone about three hours later.

In other words ... things are rough all over. :)

#9 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

So, you call Dish up and they're going to do an install for you for free (as part of the Dish Movers program.) They mess up the scheduling of an install that is going to cost them money, and you nothing. And your reaction is to be the typical American consumer: it's all about you. Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie!

While I agree that Dish should have called you, you can choose to be reasonable or you can choose to be a PITA. Your post here gives us a clue which way you're leaning...

I can't believe a customer who has been happy and satisfied with their service suddenly wants to cancel their service because of a scheduling difficulty. I suspect you've been looking for a reason to leave, and any excuse will do. But if you get one of DirecTV's slow DVRs, you may spend two years of commitment time wishing you could chuck the thing out the window. I've never been so glad to put a piece of electronics equipment in the UPS box to send back.

I wasn't looking for an excuse to leave at all I just didn't like the way I was treated and it was their scheduling misshap they should of made right and did what they promised to do now I get "inconvenienced" with no phone call and your trying to say its my fault....your clueless buddy and your comments make no sense. It's all about me Gimme Gimme what are you talking about I ask for a new dish to be set up and my receiver to be hooked up at my convenience and I sound like it's all about me after all the money I spent with them...your delusional take your dumb comments somewhere else
dish network AT250

#10 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

James, all I was asking was why I never got a phone call. That's poor customer service.
dish network AT250

#11 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

James, all I was asking was why I never got a phone call. That's poor customer service.

I agree it is inconvenient when you scheduled a tech, and missed your day of work thinking they'll show up(coming late doesn't matter as long as they come the same day) to find out it was cancelled for another day and get ticked off because of their actions without notice or a call. But that could happen to any provider you go to or how busy the local contractor were that day.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#12 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

I wasn't looking for an excuse to leave at all I just didn't like the way I was treated and it was their scheduling misshap they should of made right and did what they promised to do now I get "inconvenienced" with no phone call and your trying to say its my fault....

No, what I am saying is that human beings, being human beings, will make mistakes. Yes, they should have done what they said they'd do, but given that they have a finite amount of people available, that must not have been possible. In other words, I don't think they told the installer to take the day off and he was sitting at home twiddling his thumbs. I don't think Dish set out to intentionally screw you.

You do pay Dish a lot of money, but I'm not sure you make them a huge profit. Most of that money goes to the programming providers for the service you receive, and much of the rest goes to offset the very expensive satellites they use to provide that service to you. I'm not saying they won't make back the cost of an install, but it's probably on the order of 6-8 months of service to just break even on a Dish mover install.

Dish obviously had a flaw in their system in not calling you. But instead of being grateful for them providing you an installation that will cost them over $100, you're focusing on the fact that they made a mistake. That's not the way to live a happy life.

#13 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Dish obviously had a flaw in their system in not calling you. But instead of being grateful for them providing you an installation that will cost them over $100, you're focusing on the fact that they made a mistake. That's not the way to live a happy life.

But he did pay by using a vacation day that could have been used for something better. That day could be easily worth well over $100. Informing a customer of a change is one of the top priorities of running a good business. And I should know, I ran a warehouse/shipping facility for over 22 years.

Dish should be grateful that they have a customer who would bring them to a new residence instead of taking advantage of a new deal from another provider.

#14 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

But he did pay by using a vacation day that could have been used for something better. That day could be easily worth well over $100. Informing a customer of a change is one of the top priorities of running a good business. And I should know, I ran a warehouse/shipping facility for over 22 years.

Dish should be grateful that they have a customer who would bring them to a new residence instead of taking advantage of a new deal from another provider.

Thank You!!!!
dish network AT250

#15 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

But he did pay by using a vacation day that could have been used for something better. That day could be easily worth well over $100.

Okay, perhaps something has been deleted from the thread, but nowhere do I see in his original complaint or any of the follow-ups that he took any time off of work for the install.

If, in fact, he did lose something of monetary value over the scheduling snafu, then Dish does owe him some sort of apology/compensation.

However, companies make mistakes all the time. You're not going to find the perfect one. What separates the good from the bad is how they handle those mistakes. That said, when a customer calls with a bad attitude, they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get a sympathetic ear.

#16 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Okay, perhaps something has been deleted from the thread, but nowhere do I see in his original complaint or any of the follow-ups that he took any time off of work for the install.

If, in fact, he did lose something of monetary value over the scheduling snafu, then Dish does owe him some sort of apology/compensation.

However, companies make mistakes all the time. You're not going to find the perfect one. What separates the good from the bad is how they handle those mistakes. That said, when a customer calls with a bad attitude, they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get a sympathetic ear.

You're right. Since he checked yesterday (Monday) he didn't take off any time. BUT, since Dish didn't do the job, it didn't cost them the $100 you mentioned either. It's good for the op that he was pro-active and decided to check on the appointment before wasting any time off. He saved himself and Dish money and will now save even more money taking advantage of a new customer deal from another provider. After that deal is over, he can move back to Dish to take advantage of their new customer deal.

#17 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just curious, last September you said
"I am moving October 1st so I called Dish to upgrade to Hopper when I move at first wanted 200 dollars, got retention and got it for 100 bucks plus free hbo Cinemax showtime for 3 months not a bad deal."

This current thread sounds like you didn't move until recently and scheduled the Dishmover this last Sunday. Cancelling over a scheduling problem that you actually caught sounds like a pretty strong reaction. You really don't owe us an explanation but your reaction does seem a little strange.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#18 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Just curious, last September you said
"I am moving October 1st so I called Dish to upgrade to Hopper when I move at first wanted 200 dollars, got retention and got it for 100 bucks plus free hbo Cinemax showtime for 3 months not a bad deal."

This current thread sounds like you didn't move until recently and scheduled the Dishmover this last Sunday. Cancelling over a scheduling problem that you actually caught sounds like a pretty strong reaction. You really don't owe us an explanation but your reaction does seem a little strange.

That was 2 years ago I have moved again. I called up asked to move my service gave me a date and time which I requested and was final. I received the wrong date upon checking myself I called and they didn't do nothing for me or even try to compensate end of story.
dish network AT250

#19 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

That was 2 years ago I have moved again. I called up asked to move my service gave me a date and time which I requested and was final. I received the wrong date upon checking myself I called and they didn't do nothing for me or even try to compensate end of story.

Are you saying that 2 years ago, you were able to talk a tech into giving you a Hopper for $100?

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Are you saying that 2 years ago, you were able to talk a tech into giving you a Hopper for $100?

Well he had a thread from Sept 2012 that said he was moving in a month, and he was 1 year into his 2 year contract. Maybe he didnt move then, or is moving again already and is just confused.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...