Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelled Dish

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

It's a shame you got poor CS; my experience has been just the opposite. When Dish dropped AMC temp. last summer, they gave me all type of incentives to stay. We have had AEP w/ DVR for 9 years. D* was more costly (after incentives expired) for roughly the same service.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

this is another example of poor customer service

Sophia S (ID: AOB): Hi, my name is Sophia S (ID: AOB). How may I help you?
Sophia S (ID: AOB): How are you doing today, ****?
****: hi sophia
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Hello.
****: if you take a look at my account notation, I given an offer to upgrade to dish hopper slingload for $50
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Okay,.
****: i have a question, why do i need an installer to come over, i was taking a look at my current setup and it has everything the hopper needs to be installed
Sophia S (ID: AOB): No, technician is mandatory as the cable run to the Hopper and regular both are different.
****: i have the rg 66 cable
****: i read the manual
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Even then technician is mandatory, We can't ship the receiver. If you wish you can contact the local retailer for the installation.
****: i would upgrade, but you guys are charging for a technician when not needed
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Yes, $95.00 for the technician if you add Protection Plan on your account for $7.00 per month then the technician visit is $0.00.
****: but I do not need a technician
Sophia S (ID: AOB): I am sorry, then we can't ship the Hopper. You can contact the local retailer and buy Hopper.
****: why should i pay 95 dollars or for something that will take 2 minutes
Sophia S (ID: AOB): How many TV's would you like to connect?
****: shows how much you care about you customers
****: i will speak with your supervisor tomorrow
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Okay, no problem.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Exactly. This is the company line. If you can find a way to get a Hopper shipped without buying one from a retailer (not a lease) it will be a rare find.

You might want to PM a DIRT member ... but I suspect the results would be the same. And when Sophia's supervisor finds out (if you follow through with your thread) Sophia could get a "well done".

#24 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

I can think of three reasons for Dish to insist on an installer. The first one is some kind of agreement with the installers. I know most lose money on the typical install, and these kind of "cake" installs (where it truly is plug-and-play) help to offset that loss.

The second is that if something does go wrong with the install due to your inexperience or lack of training or even improper tools, you may go on the Internet and bad-mouth the product as working poorly or whatever. This damage to their reputation would be the problem.

Third, the equipment is not owned, it is leased, and if you damage it by installing it improperly, are you going to pay them full replacement cost for the product?

I know you may be a truly technical genius, but there are enough people who think they are smart enough to do these things on their own who make simple mistakes that I can see Dish saying, "If we send out an installer, we know the the job will be done right, the dish pointing can be verified and corrected if needed, the wiring will be done to code, and the product will work as designed. If we let the customer do it, who knows?"

The protection play is $7/month, and you can drop it after holding it for 6 months, so it's really only $63, which is a bargain compared to the $95. Maybe more than you want to pay, but that's the policy and expecting an online chat to change it is perhaps beyond what online chat is designed to do.

#25 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

****: if you take a look at my account notation, I given an offer to upgrade to dish hopper slingload for $50
****: i have a question, why do i need an installer to come over, i was taking a look at my current setup and it has everything the hopper needs to be installed
Sophia S (ID: AOB): No, technician is mandatory as the cable run to the Hopper and regular both are different.
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Even then technician is mandatory, We can't ship the receiver. If you wish you can contact the local retailer for the installation.
****: i would upgrade, but you guys are charging for a technician when not needed
Sophia S (ID: AOB): Yes, $95.00 for the technician if you add Protection Plan on your account for $7.00 per month then the technician visit is $0.00.
Sophia S (ID: AOB): I am sorry, then we can't ship the Hopper. You can contact the local retailer and buy Hopper.

No, that is an example of a CSR following the rules Dish has. This is not new, has been like that since the release.

#26 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ya know, I've been critical of Dish's customer service (though the DIRT people here have been superb!) but I get requiring a technician installing the Hopper. Think of all of the people who think they know a lot more than they do when it comes to technical stuff. It is in Dish's best interest (and ultimately the customer's) to make sure the Hopper is set up correctly, connected correctly, working right when the tech leaves, etc. Otherwise I can imagine a ton of calls into Dish tech support complaining about their Hopper not being seen by the Joey, or why is the reception on my Hopper so bad, etc. etc.

Get the service plan long enough to get the install.

#27 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

if something does go wrong with the install due to your inexperience or lack of training or even improper tools, you may go on the Internet and bad-mouth the product as working poorly or whatever. This damage to their reputation would be the problem.

the equipment is not owned, it is leased, and if you damage it by installing it improperly, are you going to pay them full replacement cost for the product?

I know you may be a truly technical genius, but there are enough people who think they are smart enough to do these things on their own who make simple mistakes that I can see Dish saying, "If we send out an installer, we know the the job will be done right, the dish pointing can be verified and corrected if needed, the wiring will be done to code, and the product will work as designed. If we let the customer do it, who knows?"

The truth of the matter is pretty much outlined above. Can't tell you how many service calls I've had to set up because someone thought they were smart enough to do it themselves and ends up royally screwing something up and making more work for the tech than if we had just sent one in the first place. You may know that you're capable of doing the work yourself but Dish's experience shows there's a lot of people out there that think they know what they're doing but really don't.

Edited by tsmacro, 22 February 2013 - 09:32 AM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#28 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I signed back up with dish thanks to their politeness and i got a great customer service agent. I have a question if anyone knows...If I get the Dish latino pack with BEINSPORTSUSA will the channel still be available in english?because the representative said yes it will.
dish network AT250

#29 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I can think of three reasons for Dish to insist on an installer. The first one is some kind of agreement with the installers. I know most lose money on the typical install, and these kind of "cake" installs (where it truly is plug-and-play) help to offset that loss.

The second is that if something does go wrong with the install due to your inexperience or lack of training or even improper tools, you may go on the Internet and bad-mouth the product as working poorly or whatever. This damage to their reputation would be the problem.

Third, the equipment is not owned, it is leased, and if you damage it by installing it improperly, are you going to pay them full replacement cost for the product?

The protection play is $7/month, and you can drop it after holding it for 6 months, so it's really only $63, which is a bargain compared to the $95. Maybe more than you want to pay, but that's the policy and expecting an online chat to change it is perhaps beyond what online chat is designed to do.

they told me $7 for 4 month, so I don't know who is telling the truth now lol

#30 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Ya know, I've been critical of Dish's customer service (though the DIRT people here have been superb!) but I get requiring a technician installing the Hopper. Think of all of the people who think they know a lot more than they do when it comes to technical stuff. It is in Dish's best interest (and ultimately the customer's) to make sure the Hopper is set up correctly, connected correctly, working right when the tech leaves, etc. Otherwise I can imagine a ton of calls into Dish tech support complaining about their Hopper not being seen by the Joey, or why is the reception on my Hopper so bad, etc. etc.

Get the service plan long enough to get the install.

Why do they have instructions in the manual to show how to install it. The manual shows the exact parts needed to install it. I found out the parts need like the solo node, rg-6 coaxial, splitter, are already installed on my system. So I am basically doing is just screwing from one receiver to another. I don't want to pay 95 or 28 dollars for a waste of time lol

#31 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

they told me $7 for 4 month, so I don't know who is telling the truth now lol

Just got done ordering my Hopper and Joey.
The Protection Plan that you have signed up for is $7.00 per month which includes free shipping on equipment replacement, and reduces the cost of in-home service from $95.00 to $15.00. If you cancel the Protection Plan within 120 days of adding, you will be charged an early termination fee of $25.

Looks like 4 months for the protection plan. Personally I don't have an issue with the protection plan or having an installer come out. Something wrong with the installation, installer has to come out and fix it. Something goes with the brand new receiver, and its early on in the production, Dish is on the hook. I do support work and installations for Iridium based equipment, can't even begin to count the lost production hours due to poor installations by those "who" think they know what they are doing. 1st job out of the Service in 92, was working for Novell, and the amount of Professionals who flat out LIE on the phone about what they did or didn't do during an installation is amazing. Companies have to protect themselves from "experts" sometimes.

#32 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Why do they have instructions in the manual to show how to install it. ...So I am basically doing is just screwing from one receiver to another. I don't want to pay 95 or 28 dollars for a waste of time lol

I've seen an installer reference the manual during an install. Every installation is slightly different, and having that material available in easy reach is just a time saver.

Yeah, $28 may seem like a waste of money to you, and it may be a bit of a pain to deal with, but I think you're ignoring the reasons we've provided you as to why Dish thinks it is necessary. Basically, call it a "stupid tax" - the cost you have to pay because other people are stupid. And hope and pray that you wouldn't be one of the stupid ones if they didn't charge it. Everybody makes mistakes, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

#33 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have to agree. You can keep ignoring the legitimate reasons for a Tech, or not. And I also agree the protection plan is very reasonable, and good way to get it done.

#34 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Had Dish for 3 months promo price already went up 10 bucks, hopper/joey
big pain (its a dvr and 1/2). Billing was never the same price with nothing added. Extra Prime channels did not drop like setup to do online(18.00 extra). Blockbuster (10.00 Extra)
that did not use did not drop as I had setup.

Having to call every month to ask why is the billing jacked up again ?

Customer service @dish stinks.

Back to Directv
HR20
100/700

Miele The BEST Vacuum you can buy.

#35 OFFLINE   eisberg

eisberg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I am a Dish Network install technician
Actually, unless you already have the Hopper system installed and were upgrading to the Hopper with Sling at the same location as current Hopper, your system is in fact on ready for the Hopper. here are the reason why. And here is why.

1- Need two RG-6 Cables rated at least to 2150 Mhz going to a component called a Node. On this node, there are 2 out ports (for a solo node), one port is for the Host (Hopper) and the other Port is for the Clients (Joey's, if you have more then 1 TV), if No Joey's are being used because you have 1 TV, a Terminator must be used on the Client port.

2- The cable line from the Node to the Hopper must be an RG-6 Cable rated at 3000 Mhz. If your cable does not have it printed right on it as 3000 Mhz or 3Ghz, then it is not a 3Ghz cable.

So no, you are in fact wrong here, the customer service agent was right in telling that a technician was needed, because you system literally has to be changed in order to have the Hopper, not just having any kind of RG6 cable. The cable ratings are very important, otherwise it will cause issues for you.

#36 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

If one buys a second receiver to skirt another contract, can you sign up for protection plan for [$28] to get it installed?

thanks

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Absolutely, the protection plan covers all your dish equipment dish to receiver for $7 per month.

Since the term for cancellation is now 4 months, it is probably best to keep it for the 4 months now since the cost is $28 vs $25 cancellation fee plus pro-rated service.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

The tech won't balk because you own the receiver?

Any downside to this? [ besides owning a receiver that breaks]

#39 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Can one actually buy and own a DISH DVR or reciever? When I was with the other satellite provider one could only lease most pieces of equipment, even if one purchased it from Best Buy or EBay.

#40 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

There is some stuff out there to buy to own...but Dish is also primarily a leased model now as well.

spam firewall