Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelled Dish

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Can one actually buy and own a DISH DVR or reciever? When I was with the other satellite provider one could only lease most pieces of equipment, even if one purchased it from Best Buy or EBay.

Yes that's another great thing about DISH you can own your equipment and when you do there's no commitment(contract).

For the best price I recommend this site:

www.dishdepot.com ;)

When you own your equipment I recommend adding the DISH Protection Service Plan to your account.If your equipment goes bad they replace it for $15. :)

Edited by Jhon69, 26 February 2013 - 10:33 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   quagmire0

quagmire0

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Just cancelled with Dish yesterday. Tried via web chat, Twitter, and on the phone to get them to match DirectTV's current offer (Genie vs. Hopper), but they couldn't. They wanted me to charge 100 or 50 bucks for install of Hopper, plus an extra $10/mo. DirectTV gives me the same package, free hardware, free delivery, free activation, and it'll be about $6 cheaper per month for the first year than my current rate. I did the cost savings over two years and DirectTV still came out less than Dish. I've enjoyed Dish for about 8 years now and never had any issues. Ah well. I figure in 2 years I'll be able to jump back if I want to and get their new customer deals. Seems to be what you have to do these days when it comes to TV/Internet/Cell phone providers.

#43 OFFLINE   quagmire0

quagmire0

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yes that's another great thing about DISH you can own your equipment and when you do there's no commitment(contract).

For the best price I recommend this site:

www.dishdepot.com ;)

When you own your equipment I recommend adding the DISH Protection Service Plan to your account.If your equipment goes bad they replace it for $15. :)

I'm actually wondering if Dish is pulling a fast one on me. I sort of recall paying ~299 for my receiver back when I got it (642). Last I checked on Dish's site, they had me leasing it, and when I called to cancel they mentioned that I'd need to send it back. I'll have to recheck my files and see if I didn't buy it outright when I signed up.

#44 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just cancelled with Dish yesterday. Tried via web chat, Twitter, and on the phone to get them to match DirectTV's current offer (Genie vs. Hopper), but they couldn't. They wanted me to charge 100 or 50 bucks for install of Hopper, plus an extra $10/mo. DirectTV gives me the same package, free hardware, free delivery, free activation, and it'll be about $6 cheaper per month for the first year than my current rate. I did the cost savings over two years and DirectTV still came out less than Dish. I've enjoyed Dish for about 8 years now and never had any issues. Ah well. I figure in 2 years I'll be able to jump back if I want to and get their new customer deals. Seems to be what you have to do these days when it comes to TV/Internet/Cell phone providers.

dish doesn't need customers like you anyway.

#45 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Please watch the personal attacks.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#46 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

There is some stuff out there to buy to own...but Dish is also primarily a leased model now as well.

Are you saying you can't buy your own receiver now? { Not reffering to hopper, just the rest of them]

My contract will be up soon, and If I decide to stay, I may want a DVR. If I can't have that without another contract, it is possibly a deal breaker.

To quagmire0:
I've seen this issue come up before [as far as your receiver goes] You need a receipt to prevent a dispute from Dish. Personally, I would have made sure it was not listed as leased [ on your account] from the get.

#47 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

Tried via web chat, Twitter, and on the phone to get them to match DirectTV's current offer (Genie vs. Hopper), but they couldn't.

Yeah, Dish can't make a DVR as slow as the Genie. Dish can't remove PTAT. Dish can't disable auto-hop. Yeah, you might save a few bucks with DirecTV (most people don't), but you might end up with a 2-year contract sticking you with a heap of frustration with their horrible hardware. I can't remember being so happy about sending a box via UPS as I was in returning that hunk of junk HD DVR of theirs. Hope yours isn't a lemon.

#48 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, Dish can't make a DVR as slow as the Genie. Dish can't remove PTAT. Dish can't disable auto-hop. Yeah, you might save a few bucks with DirecTV (most people don't), but you might end up with a 2-year contract sticking you with a heap of frustration with their horrible hardware. I can't remember being so happy about sending a box via UPS as I was in returning that hunk of junk HD DVR of theirs. Hope yours isn't a lemon.

be nice now...........................................................really not much diff between the two..............just sayin:D:D:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#49 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I was a C-Band (BUD) person from 1978 till 2008. I also had Dish Network since 1997 and use Dish for two years('97-'99) when I canceled out. I bought all my Dish equiptment... Dish 500 antenna, PVR 508, 301 and installed all this myself from a small dish satellite dealer for $128.85, plus $49.99 for 250 channels. In 2008 I purchased from ebay a VIP211K and installed it. Called Dish to have it activated with no problems. I've cancel Dish twice since during those years to go back to the old C-Band subscriptions. Never paid any fees for cancellations or restarts.
Just checked my Dish account and it shows I have a VIP211K and VIP211 as
"purchased" for my equipment. I would think it showing purchased, means I own the receivers, although I did call Dish in 2011 and had them to send me the VIP211. I never question their error on the "purchased" of the VIP211.

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

be nice now...........................................................really not much diff between the two..............just sayin:D:D:D

Well I agree with the 'be nice', but there are significant differences between the two, especially in speed of operation. The slowest Dish DVR will run circles around the fastest Direct DVR and that has always been true.

Otherwise each does things differently, with neither being sole owner of the 'best' way to accomplish different tasks. I've had both and there are things that D* does better than E* and vice-versa. It's a trade off.

Cost wise, the only way to save significant money with SAT service is to switch every two years or so as the retail costs are nearly identical since the last price increases and fee twiddling they both did.

Customer service is a wash with neither having a leg up, and that has been shown every time there is a new poll of customer satisfaction ratings. Both get pretty low scores with the spread between the two being nearly nil. When trying to get 'deals' with either the Magic 8 Ball is often used it seems in spite of all the fanboi bleating to the contrary.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#51 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

"Run Circles Around"? "The slowest Dish DVR is Faster then the Fastest "D" DVR". What the #$#@ does that mean? If a Chevy goes 0-60 in 6.3 seconds compared to a Ford going 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, that's a comparison I can understand. Somebody somewhere sometime tested these DVR's and knows exactly how fast they are. How much lag time when changing channels? How fast do they scroll? How quickly do they respond to remote inputs? "Run circles around" is a meaningless statement. I'm certain that someone at "D" and "E" know exactly what those differences are because they compared them side by side on a test bench. Why is it that they can keep some secrets and not others? One thing for sure, if Chevy is faster than Ford they will go out of their way to tell you, and tell you, and tell you. Marketing 101. If you have an advantage, exploit it.

#52 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Channel changing is more controlled by HDMI handshaking than anything else. For that, the DVRs from both are about the same unless you have Native On as that adds to the time.

For all other functions, the speed difference is much different with all of E*'s DVRs being much quicker by a wide margin.

You may not believe it or like it, that is your choice. But it doesn't change what is actual truth. I've had both and done my comparisons. But speed of operation isn't why I would pick one over the other since I watch the shows much more than I diddle with the DVR! :)

Lloyd

#53 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I was a DirectTV subscriber for about 15 years, and I was always happy with them. Yeah, like every provider, they had issues here and there - surprise, they weren't perfect. I switched to Dish in 2009 because DTV didn't carry the locals here in HD at the time (they do now.)

My brother has DirectTV and he would never switch to Dish due to sports. But I get to see the latest DirectTV stuff on a regular basis, and compare it to my Dish setup. Frankly, I could live with either one and be happy. DirectTV was always, in my experience, much better at upgrading current customers to new technology for very little (from 1995 to 2009, I always had the latest DirectTV IRDs and DVRs and never paid for an upgrade in all of that time.) The Dish Hopper technology is probably better right now than Genie, but my brother is not unhappy with Genie at all.

FWIW

#54 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Somebody somewhere sometime tested these DVR's and knows exactly how fast they are.

Having owned an HR22-100 from DirecTV, I can tell you some of that. At one point the HR24 was the gold standard for a fast responsive DVR from DirecTV, but no longer. The issue is that *some* DirecTV DVRs are fairly responsive, while others with the same firmware and hardware are not, and nobody seems to know why. I waited two years for them to fix mine, and there was always the promise that the next firmware update would fix it (and firmware updates took six months or longer.) From turning on the (always on) unit to being able to select a program and start playback, the average time was 22 seconds. At random times, I could press a button seven or eight times before the DVR would respond to one button press. 30-second skip took about 2 seconds.

The issue of stopwatching is that it is highly unit dependent. How much space is left on your hard drive? How many tuners are doing something right now? How fragmented is the hard drive? When I first got my Hopper, it was blazing fast. As the hard drive has filled up, it's no longer quite so fast, but it is still very quick. I never have to push a button twice to get it to do something.

There aren't hard and fast numbers, but side-by-side comparisons have always shown the Dish DVRs to be faster. Sometimes a lot faster, sometimes just a little. But you're getting a slower DVR that can't do some of the things Dish's can, so I hope you're happy while you go through your 24-month waiting period.

#55 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Having owned an HR22-100 from DirecTV, I can tell you some of that. At one point the HR24 was the gold standard for a fast responsive DVR from DirecTV, but no longer. The issue is that *some* DirecTV DVRs are fairly responsive, while others with the same firmware and hardware are not, and nobody seems to know why. I waited two years for them to fix mine, and there was always the promise that the next firmware update would fix it (and firmware updates took six months or longer.) From turning on the (always on) unit to being able to select a program and start playback, the average time was 22 seconds. At random times, I could press a button seven or eight times before the DVR would respond to one button press. 30-second skip took about 2 seconds.

The issue of stopwatching is that it is highly unit dependent. How much space is left on your hard drive? How many tuners are doing something right now? How fragmented is the hard drive? When I first got my Hopper, it was blazing fast. As the hard drive has filled up, it's no longer quite so fast, but it is still very quick. I never have to push a button twice to get it to do something.

There aren't hard and fast numbers, but side-by-side comparisons have always shown the Dish DVRs to be faster. Sometimes a lot faster, sometimes just a little. But you're getting a slower DVR that can't do some of the things Dish's can, so I hope you're happy while you go through your 24-month waiting period.

What can A dish Hopper do that a Genie Can't ?
HR20
100/700

Miele The BEST Vacuum you can buy.

#56 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Well I agree with the 'be nice', but there are significant differences between the two, especially in speed of operation. The slowest Dish DVR will run circles around the fastest Direct DVR and that has always been true.

Otherwise each does things differently, with neither being sole owner of the 'best' way to accomplish different tasks. I've had both and there are things that D* does better than E* and vice-versa. It's a trade off.

Cost wise, the only way to save significant money with SAT service is to switch every two years or so as the retail costs are nearly identical since the last price increases and fee twiddling they both did.

Customer service is a wash with neither having a leg up, and that has been shown every time there is a new poll of customer satisfaction ratings. Both get pretty low scores with the spread between the two being nearly nil. When trying to get 'deals' with either the Magic 8 Ball is often used it seems in spite of all the fanboi bleating to the contrary.

i guess i don't watch enough TV............ the speed of the boxes means nothing to me. Had D* from 2001 to 2011, switched to E* in Nov of 11 and enjoyed the service. in Nov of 2012 i went back to D* at no cost to me. D* paid my ETF, and gave me all NEW equip. Never would have left D* but thought i got a great deal on a Bundle.........until the first 12 mos were up. (i didn't read the fine print) now i am back and love it, but do not see a BIG difference in the speed. I have the HR34 with one client . Had a VIP722K and a VIP211K with E*.:D:D:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#57 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

[/U][/I][/I][/I]
What can A dish Hopper do that a Genie Can't ?

Well, Autohop over ads on broadcast shows for one! :)

And the Hopper, as well as other current Dish DVRs, can do one search function that D* doesn't. With E*, you can be in the guide and hit the 'search' button and it will pull up search with the name of that show defaulted allowing for a search for a show of that name system wide. That is handy for sports and movies that show up on various channels.

Overall, both D* and E* dvrs do lots of things nearly the same with one being better or worse than the other on a given function. IMO, not something I lose sleep over, nor pick a provider about.

Lloyd

#58 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

The bottom line is that once you are with DTV or Dish, you get used to the DVR and yeah, one may be a little slower changing channels, etc. but unless you have both of them in your house at the same time, you get used to it. Then you're more focused on what shows/networks are available and the overall costs. And if you can't watch the shows/networks you want, you don't focus so much on the cost (since it isn't different enough per month to make it worth not being able to do what you pay the provider for, i.e. watch the shows and networks you prefer. BTDT, got the T-shirt.

#59 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Fudpucker, for most of us I suspect you are right on. Certainly that is the way I look at it. I've had both at various times and just switched from D* to E* and am pleased with the switch, though I wasn't displeased with D*. Got a couple channels in HD that I wanted and saved some money to boot.

About what the Hopper will do that Genie won't. Here's a couple others. Save all timers in the remote so swapping a unit out is much simpler. Add an external HD that gives additional storage to the DVR, not replace it as D* does. And that drive and its info is tied to the account and not to a speciific DVR, very handy.

Lloyd

#60 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Can one actually buy and own a DISH DVR or reciever? When I was with the other satellite provider one could only lease most pieces of equipment, even if one purchased it from Best Buy or EBay.

I own both of my receivers, so I would avoid the contract. Purchased both off of ebay from retailers that provide the numbers for you to check them out and verify they are good to go. Both were new and factory sealed, no re-manufactured units and I believe I got them at very reasonable pricing.

VIP 922 $230 with $15 shipping

VIP211K $93 with free shipping

Both were at my door step the next day fed ex.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...