Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelled Dish

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, Dish can't make a DVR as slow as the Genie. Dish can't remove PTAT. Dish can't disable auto-hop. Yeah, you might save a few bucks with DirecTV (most people don't), but you might end up with a 2-year contract sticking you with a heap of frustration with their horrible hardware. I can't remember being so happy about sending a box via UPS as I was in returning that hunk of junk HD DVR of theirs. Hope yours isn't a lemon.

There are things a Hopper can't do that a Genie can and vice versa. Each have pros and cons, both aren't the right solution for everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

The bottom line is that once you are with DTV or Dish, you get used to the DVR and yeah, one may be a little slower changing channels, etc. but unless you have both of them in your house at the same time, you get used to it.

Okay, let me tell you a little story about the final straw that made me switch from DirecTV to Dish:

I had my DVR set up to record a program off of TLC in the morning. In early afternoon, it was time for my preschoolers to have their TV time. I went downstairs, they sit down on the couch to watch their program, and I turn on the TV and DVR. There, in living color, is "A Baby Story" on TLC with lots of screaming and a very transparent oval to "cover" things. Press the List button. Nothing happens. Press the Guide button. Nothing happens. Press Channel Up to try to get away from the channel. NOTHING HAPPENS. 40 seconds after powering up the DVR, it finally brings up the program list. Another 15 seconds pass as it refuses to scroll quickly, or start playing the program. Nearly a full minute before I can get rid of something I really didn't want to have to explain to a small child.

So, yeah, you get used to it. You get used to pushing buttons and having nothing happen from time-to-time. You get used to a DVR that doesn't respond when you ask it to do something. And then, one day, you say, "You know what? It's 2012 and it's about time somebody built a DVR that was as quick as I am." I already had a DTVPal DVR for OTA, and it was blazing fast. I got a Hopper, and it hasn't let me down.

Oh, and I went through the whole thing with DirecTV where they promised me a new HD DVR to replace my old unit (which they would not admit was faulty in any way) along with a new 24-month contract. But they couldn't promise me a particular model number (we can't pick the model numbers of the receivers out there) so I would be playing receiver roulette that they installer would show up with yet another HR22-100. Or I could pay $200 to a third party and guarantee myself an HR24, but then I started reading where the HD GUI slowed even some of those down, and I threw up my hands and walked away.

Now, I've heard some people are very happy with the Genie. I've also heard that it is slower than a properly functioning HR24. Maybe it is. But I learned the hard way that DirecTV can't build a DVR that operates at a good-enough-for-my-needs speed, and they have a history of releasing firmware updates that make things worse as far as speed and responsiveness go. No thank you to DirecTV for all their "come back, we'll make it right" offers.

#63 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Does Dish guarantee new boxes? If someone has a 622 go bad, are they guaranteed to get a 722k or a bad Hopper with the new Hopper with Sling?

Edited by dpeters11, 04 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

:new_popco
it's only television.
:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#65 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Does Dish guarantee new boxes? If someone has a 622 go bad, are they guaranteed to get a 722k or a bad Hopper with the new Hopper with Sling?

DISH's policy is to replace the receiver you have with another receiver of the same model number(normally a refurb),unless there are no more in their warehouse.

#66 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

[/U][/I][/I][/I]
What can A dish Hopper do?

This post gives a good idea.

http://about.dish.co...ce-and-control-

Then there's the little things I like about DISH's newer DVRs(922/813/913) the channel's logo is displayed in the guide.:)

Edited by Jhon69, 04 March 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I own both of my receivers, so I would avoid the contract. Purchased both off of ebay from retailers that provide the numbers for you to check them out and verify they are good to go. Both were new and factory sealed, no re-manufactured units and I believe I got them at very reasonable pricing.

VIP 922 $230 with $15 shipping

VIP211K $93 with free shipping

Both were at my door step the next day fed ex.

Rduce,

Do you remeber who? I'd like to explore that.

Did you do the install?

pretty good pricing.

#68 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Rduce,

Do you remeber who? I'd like to explore that.

Did you do the install?

pretty good pricing.

If you like that,try here:

http://www.dishdepot.com/ ;)

#69 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

If you like that,try here: