Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roku DHCP???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

This weekend took a Roku box to my daughter at college. Thought it would be easy to do. She has one Ethernet jack in her room, so i brought along a Netgear 5 port Ethernet switch. One port to her Mac, and another to the Roku. The Mac works fine and the Roku shows connected but when we try to launch a channel we get an error message saying basically check your connection. So we check the college IT site and it says devices need to be registered, so we supplied the MAC address and submitted a request. Here is the email we got back:
"Blank University does not support the ROKU so you must use your own documentation to setup the ROKU. If it is to go directly on the network, it must be set for DHCP, because RESNET is a DHCP network only".

Now I know I'm going to have my daughter call their tech, but before that happens, anyone know what this means? How do I set the Roku to DHCP?
At home I tested it and it hooked right up with my wireless router & tested it wired with the ethernet switch, all good. Reset Button and then connect again to switch? Any help would be comforting, she's not real tech savvy beyound plugging things in.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Isn't Roku settings prevent you to set and check DHCP ? I recall. there is a button on remote

#3 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

This doesn't make a lot of sense... If it connected to your home network did you set an IP Manually? If not then it should pick up an IP from their Network automatically.

Assuming you didn't set the IP manually there isn't any reason that it doesn't get an IP Address automatically unless they somehow limit how many IP's that can be assigned to say any one given room. If so just get some kind of a NAT router (which is pretty much all of them), have it get the IP then it can give out as many IPs behind it as needed.

Honestly I would put a router in no matter what mostly just for the protection of NAT. If you can add in a firewall that would be even better.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I used a ROKU here for a while and didn't need to do anything special for DHCP to work.

#5 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

It's a low priority for my student as she has so many things on her plate. I'm 4 hours away, just thought it's be nice for her to watch Netflix on a tv instead of her Mac. Thought it would be a simple set up. Thought about a router at first, then read about others using switches for extra devices at school. The University didn't say it couldn't be used, just that basically they aren't going to spend anytime helping. Looked at the setting on the Roku and doesn't look like anything can be configured. Was thinking of trying to reset, but again, pretty low priority. Thanks for all the replies.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

If you do asking about particular device's settings/features you must provide practical important info about the model. Perhaps you are not aware, but Roku manufactured many of them.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Honestly I would put a router in no matter what mostly just for the protection of NAT. If you can add in a firewall that would be even better.

As a network admin at a university that requires device registration, don't do that.

If they're using a NAC solution, the Roku should DHCP an address by default, but possibly be on their restricted network. Check the actual IP address when it's connected.

Either way, the default on the Roku is DHCP.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

If you do asking about particular device's settings/features you must provide practical important info about the model. Perhaps you are not aware, but Roku manufactured many of them.

Regardless how how many different models Roku produced, they all use DHCP.

If the WAN administration is refusing to add the Roku's MAC address to the router tables, a local router (with registered MAC address) will be required to hide the Roku behind.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

If it Roku 2 XD, I would post pictures to explain him ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...