Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DEAL REACHED: Directv Customers may lose the Sinclair Stations Mar 1

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

This is my "chief beef" with the local stations. :mad:

They act like they are the real copyright holders of the network programming they merely act as a local market outlet for, but they are not :nono:. I can accept it if the networks want to charge the MSOs fees for this programming since they really own it, but not the local stations or their greedy ownership groups who don't own a thing beyond their local originated programs (and how many subs really want that? :rolleyes:).

DIRECTV and the other MSOs should have the right to import network shows from alternative sources if they can't come to terms with the local outlet station provider or their groups.

It is a bit of a delicate walk. I understand the news for local stations and can see that network programming is the best way for them to stay viable.

As you can tell from my posts, I understand the need for local programming and how they serve the community.

I'd rather see them regulated better. The government grants them a monopoly and then just lets them do whatever they want.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

http://forums.solids...ir-reach-a-deal

Look for a press release later tonight.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#183 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

That link now has the full press release.

#184 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I love how Sinclair lists a PDF of why this is happening. http://www.foxbaltim...s_statement.pdf

Last remark is to strike fear! "Q: How long is this dispute likely to last?
A: It is impossible to answer this question a
ccurately, although it is certainly possible that
DirecTV
will never carry the Sinclair stations in the future. "
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#185 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well obviously that PDF is a bit less relevant now :lol:

#186 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Well obviously that PDF is a bit less relevant now :lol:

I saw the Solid Signal blog. These carriers LOVE to strike fear. Thing is they suggest like Dish. But then when Dish and that carrier have an issue they say go to DirecTV.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#187 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I checked my local channels site, still had the warning up. Their twitter feed said they've gotten word of a deal, with details to follow. That was a half hour ago. I just responded saying it is done, and to take the warning down, providing the link to the Sinclair press release.

And Sinclair also just purchased 18 more stations, from Barrington Broadcasting.

#188 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

What annoys me most is the crawls on every program for a week and a half. This probably never even needed to be known by subs/viewers...

#189 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Called it, figured they would come to an agreement..

#190 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I like how Sinclair makes an attempt at justifying their price increase for them while suggesting DIRECTV reduce the profits they make. I'm not saying either is right but who ever put out this communication for Sinclair really didn't put a lot of forethought in to it.

Q: Isn’t this just about greed?
A: No. It’s about us being a publicly traded company that has a fiduciary responsibility
to operate the company profitably. Given that we spend millions of dollars each year to
buy and produce high-quality programming, it is only right and fair that satellite
companies compensate us fairly for a portion of our cost, especially since they are reselling our content to their subscribers. In addition, the inability to reach agreement with
DirecTV is related to other material matters besides the amount we are to be paid.

Q: Won’t this cost get passed on to the consumer?
A: That is a question for DirecTV to answer. They may pass these costs on to their
subscribers or they could choose just to reduce the profits they make. Alternatively, they
could negotiate to reduce the fees they pay for programming which is far less popular
than the programming provided by the Sinclair stations and for which, we believe they
pay disproportionately high prices as compared to the amount being requested by
Sinclair.

#191 OFFLINE   johndoe1000

johndoe1000

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sinclair Broadcasting Network Updates

Last updated: February 28, 2013 7:00PM EST

DIRECTV and Sinclair Broadcast Group today extended their current retransmission consent agreement to allow DIRECTV to continue providing Sinclair’s local broadcast stations without any unnecessary interruptions.

#192 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,774 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

SS@SolidSignal - Today, 07:12 PM Reply
Update: A source at DIRECTV says, "I have heard we have a one week extension, not a done deal."

#193 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Banner on guide is updated.

"As expected, there will be no disruption to your [FOX] station."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#194 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

SS@SolidSignal - Today, 07:12 PM Reply
Update: A source at DIRECTV says, "I have heard we have a one week extension, not a done deal."

Technically true, it's a one week extension, but I think it's more to give time to sign the agreements and such. Even Sinclair makes it sound like its a done deal and just a formality at this point.

#195 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is my "chief beef" with the local stations. :mad:

They act like they are the real copyright holders of the network programming they merely act as a local market outlet for, but they are not :nono:. I can accept it if the networks want to charge the MSOs fees for this programming since they really own it, but not the local stations or their greedy ownership groups who don't own a thing beyond their local originated programs (and how many subs really want that? :rolleyes:).

DIRECTV and the other MSOs should have the right to import network shows from alternative sources if they can't come to terms with the local outlet station provider or their groups.

They don't own the program but they own the rights to the program for their specific market.

#196 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Banner on guide is updated.
"As expected, there will be no disruption to your [FOX] station."

The local San Antonio Sinclair stations have said for a while that they "didn't expect" to be carried on D* as of March 1.

Gotta love spin.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#197 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

The local San Antonio Sinclair stations have said for a while that they "didn't expect" to be carried on D* as of March 1.

Gotta love spin.

Directv did state yesterday that they thought the deal was close enough to predict it would get done.

#198 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Good to hear and had the AM21 ready in case it didn't get settled for ROH;) :)

#199 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Sometimes these deals ARE NOT GOOD!!!! -- Ultimatly the customer ends up paying EVEN MORE and for what??

Almost nothing but garbage on tv NOW.. Why do ppl keep paying for this crap??

#200 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sometimes these deals ARE NOT GOOD!!!! -- Ultimatly the customer ends up paying EVEN MORE and for what??

Almost nothing but garbage on tv NOW.. Why do ppl keep paying for this crap??

One man's crap is another man's treasure. Or something like that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...