Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DEAL REACHED: Directv Customers may lose the Sinclair Stations Mar 1

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

What I said in post #38 of this thread holds true once again. I have seen too many of these local station disputes play out like this to be concerned. This one was resolved five hours sooner with respect to the deadline than the Capitol Broadcasting dispute was. It is extremely rare for a local station to go dark on DirecTV due to a protracted carriage dispute. The risk of losing local channels (and everything else) from a thunderstorm is far greater than the risk of losing the channel to a carage dispute.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Sinclair is on a buying spree so we may have more retrans disputes as these stations come up for renewal. Then, the next time the Sinclair renewal for all of their stations comes up, they could own (or "operate") 100+ stations. I think they are doing this because the FCC is looking at removing the loopholes that allow Sinclair to own or "operate" multiple stations in a market. Basically, relatives of the Sinclair family set up extra companies that "own" the stations and Sinclair "operates" them. See Cunningham Broadcasting.

Sinclair buying Barrington stations for $370M

Sinclair will buy four Cox Media TV stations for $99 million

And I know they are trying to buy a few Fox owned stations, including My24 in Baltimore.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#203 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

The TV world would be much better off without Sinclair & LIN as affiliate owners.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, DECA Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Slimeline-5, SWM16, WHDVR, OTA=21, WOW (Knology) Cable = 50Mbps Internet & Phone,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#204 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

The TV world would be much better off without Sinclair & LIN as affiliate owners.

I unfortunately have both as owners in my market.

#205 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

I unfortunately have both as owners in my market.

Same in GR, MI.

#206 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

So who blinked?

#207 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

So who blinked?

I'm sure it was us the consumer who blinked :D, we will see the results next time our rates increase.. :lol:

#208 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Well obviously that PDF is a bit less relevant now :lol:

The press release you linked to speaks only to a short-term extension of the recently expired agreement.

The event is not over until a long term agreement is signed. However unlikely it is that they fail to come to agreement, the channels may yet be removed in the short term.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#209 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

The press release you linked to speaks only to a short-term extension of the recently expired agreement.

The event is not over until a long term agreement is signed. However unlikely it is that they fail to come to agreement, the channels may yet be removed in the short term.

The way they are doing it is standard. It was just unusual that the wording got out that it was an extension (to get the wording exactly right). They never sign an agreement until all the lawyers get to it. Do you really think all the last minute announcements are of fully signed agreements? Do you really think companies continue to wage a war of words after they have reached agreement but before the ink is dry?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#210 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you review the progression of the Tribune deal from just under a year ago, it sounds an awful lot like how the Sinclair deal is progressing.

Tribune allowed that they would keep the channels up pending a final agreement. DIRECTV subsequently made a press release announcing that a "handshake deal" was done pending paperwork. Tribune fired back with a rousing hell no. DIRECTV responded that they were "extremely perplexed".

http://articles.chic...-local-channels

It isn't about what any of us hopes or thinks is going to happen. It is uniquely about the signed carriage agreement that has not been announced by either party.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#211 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

If you review the progression of the Tribune deal from just under a year ago, it sounds an awful lot like how the Sinclair deal is progressing.

Tribune allowed that they would keep the channels up pending a final agreement. DIRECTV subsequently made a press release announcing that a "handshake deal" was done pending paperwork. Tribune fired back with a rousing hell no. DIRECTV responded that they were "extremely perplexed".

http://articles.chic...-local-channels

It isn't about what any of us hopes or thinks is going to happen. It is uniquely about the signed carriage agreement that has not been announced by either party.

Uh, no. That is not what happened here. Directv said there would be an extension at the least the day before. When the news leaked, one source at directv didn't know it was out and the promise webpage still had the same from the day before. That has been changed to say the deal is done. Sinclair is saying the same. It was all timing on tweets, etc.

And you are spreading FUD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#212 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Uh, no. That is not what happened here. Directv said there would be an extension at the least the day before. When the news leaked, one source at directv didn't know it was out and the promise webpage still had the same from the day before. That has been changed to say the deal is done. Sinclair is saying the same. It was all timing on tweets, etc

Here's what the Promise page says this evening:

Sinclair Broadcasting Network Updates

Last updated: February 28, 2013 7:00PM EST

DIRECTV and Sinclair Broadcast Group today extended their current retransmission consent agreement to allow DIRECTV to continue providing Sinclair’s local broadcast stations without interruption as the companies continue working toward a new agreement.

I'm confused as to why it still says "continue working towards a new agreement" if a deal is done.

What seems different in this case versus the Tribune case is that this time, Sinclair is saying a handshake deal is done and DIRECTV is implying that there's work to be done on a deal. I'm inclined to believe the party that says it isn't done. Why would they say it (or let it remain the official update) if it weren't true?

#213 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Whats all the big worry about some verbage? It will get done or it won't. Don't worry - be happy :-)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#214 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Here's what the Promise page says this evening:I'm confused as to why it still says "continue working towards a new agreement" if a deal is done.

What seems different in this case versus the Tribune case is that this time, Sinclair is saying a handshake deal is done and DIRECTV is implying that there's work to be done on a deal. I'm inclined to believe the party that says it isn't done. Why would they say it (or let it remain the official update) if it weren't true?

You re still spreading FUD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...