Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DEAL REACHED: Directv Customers may lose the Sinclair Stations Mar 1

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I knew there was going to be trouble when Sincliar purchased the local NBC station. Here in San Antonio, they own NBC, Fox, and CW affiliates. It Looks like they got us by the yang yang. None of my sets have an ACS tuner, and that includes my HD TV. I'm not sure if I could even get them over the air since, I have houses and trees in the line of site from my house. Trees everywhere.

I watch some reruns that I can do without on CW. But I will miss Peoples Court on Fox and Judge Judy on WOAI. That's about it from those channels. I care mostly about CBS since they carry most of the programs I like.

Edited by n3vino, 18 February 2013 - 07:18 PM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Looks like it's Fox local channel 17 here in central Iowa. I saw the notice while watching the opening of Bones.

Funny thing, I then hit 17-1 on my remote (HR20-700) and I got a stupid "Alert" Channel with D*'s answer to Sinclair...no Bones. I then went to the guide and saw they now have 2 17-1 channels: the first one is the ALERT and the second one is the "real" OTA channel.

Being I have three D* OTA boxes (one HR20-700 and two AM21s) that I can record from, I don't care whether anything is worked out with Sinclair or not.

My first reaction when seeing the message on 17 was: "great, another peeing contest between D* and a provider"...I'm sure this kind of stuff will continue, ad nauseum.

On a side note:

The local phone company dug a trench just outside our front yard and laid an optical cable a few months ago. I'll be interested to see what they are going to offer. I'm told they will have a very thick pipe and will provide a variant of "cable" and even higher speed internet access. All the receivers are ethernet based, no coax at all, DVR and MRV. I have no idea when it will be available or what it will cost. I will, however be keeping an eye on it.

Having been with D* since 1994 or 1995, I'm starting to think that putting that money into the local community might be a better way to go, if the service and equipment is any good at all and the cost is comparable or better.

The one thing that this has made very clear to me is that we aren't doing anything that might involve a contract with D* any more. It's gotten too expensive, the equipment is up and down in terms of performance, and I'm not betting a two year contract that it's really going to get any better.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I've just got to figure when to go ahead and pull the trigger on an am21 and antenna.

#24 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I will be losing Fox and My TV out of Cape Girardeau. My wife is going to have a big problem with this and I can't even pick these channels OTA since we live too far from the tower. Looks like we are stuck if they can't work things out. I wonder if they will offer a substitute if it drags on?

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Time Warner did that here during a dispute. The replacement sued them.

#26 OFFLINE   hdfan1

hdfan1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like it may time to look at an AM21. Saw the message Sinclair put on the local Fox station and it is not worded in a way that gives much hope. If it was another station owner I would not be too worried but Sinclair is notorious for these disputes. I fully expect the stations to go off March 1st

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I would lose three shows. Simpsons, Raising Hope and Arrow.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Our local CBS is on the list. That's the sad news. The really crappy news is how sinclair is whining about paying small fees to use the airwaves and saying "it isn't free." Have they seen how much the airwaves really go for!? AT&T spends billions just for the license, then they pay fees. Silly Sinclair. I see through their crap.

Does Sinclair deserve "some" money to be carried? Maybe. On the other hand, we gave them the airwaves and they really want as much coverage as they can get. Seems like more coverage is better and fees reduce coverage.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#29 OFFLINE   jojo11

jojo11

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

My first ever post...

Sinclair just bought the FOX/MyTV stations here in Wichita from Newport. Just found out about it on the FOX Kansas' Facebook page......

#30 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Kind of glad I have a AM21 on my HR34 so all my clients will be able to still get KEYE via OTA.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#31 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

My first ever post...

Sinclair just bought the FOX/MyTV stations here in Wichita from Newport. Just found out about it on the FOX Kansas' Facebook page......

:welcome_s to the forums!

Yeah, it was the local station's facebook page that warned me too.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#32 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I can easily get along without NBC. So I won't be calling Directv about this like Sinclair wants me to! If Sinclair can do without Directv customers, I can do without Sinclair.

#33 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Our CBS is showing the banners as well.
These things are like PBS pledge drives. Except for greed's sake.
I love the way they ruin everyone's viewing pleasure by warning one provider's customers that they may lose their quality service.

#34 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

I will lose CBS. I think that D* should give us the National feed until this s resolved, but I bet there is some kind of legal issue that would prevent that.

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I will lose CBS. I think that D* should give us the National feed until this s resolved, but I bet there is some kind of legal issue that would prevent that.

There is;

Local stations have outdated exclusivity broadcast rights to their markets which the stations or their ownership groups regularly exploit in these disputes to exert pressure on the MSOs like DIRECTV here to deal with them.

As unfair and misused are these regulations by station groups like Sinclair may be.

#36 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Would lose the Fox station here...which can be easily picked up with cheap rabbit ear antennas. Would only be a PITA if for some reason I wanted to record Fox programming. Which I don't.

#37 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Interestingly I dont have a line item in the guide for NBC, but I have one for FOX. Our NBC station was bought by Sinclair and everything was finalized this past December.

As a side note it is really weird seeing an NBC station saying on its local news "see our sister station" and they cut away to Fox to advertise the news there.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#38 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Fortunately, despite what the station owners say before the existing contract expires, these disputes on DirecTV are usually resolved quickly. This deal does not affect me, but back in December we went through this with our local CBS and FOX stations that are owned by Capitol Broadcasting. They literally reached a deal at the 11th hour with no interruption of service. The contract expired at midnight on Dec 31, and the new agreement was anounced at 11:27 PM.

Other than Versus (now NBC Sports Network), which was dark for 195 days,, and the Viacom channels, which were dark for 10 days, I cannot think of a channel on DirecTV that went dark for more than a week. Most disputes are resolved without the channels ever going dark, but do not expext an agreement to be announced before the last minute.

#39 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

$inclair is the worst when it comes to these disputes. They and the local cable provider go through this every couple of years as $inclair owns the local FOX affiliate.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#40 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Here is a list of stations to be affected.

Dish drops the DVR guide data when they pull stations. When DirecTV pulls stations, do you still get guide data for the OTA?
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

spam firewall