Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DEAL REACHED: Directv Customers may lose the Sinclair Stations Mar 1

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,164 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

here is another site http://www.stationin...-owner/Sinclair that list each cities.

That list appears to be a little out of date, it doesn't include KEYE in Austin TX which was purchased a few months ago.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,030 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Although Sinclair does not believe that it is constructive to negotiate its private business relationships in public, Sinclair is informing the public in advance of the end of carriage because it is aware of the impact on a segment of the public from the end of the relationship between the Sinclair stations and DirecTV.

This seems to be little more than an indictment of DIRECTV in the court of public opinion as opposed to a important message to those impacted.

Maybe it will slow the hemorrhaging for some of DIRECTVs competitors but I don't see where this benefits many DIRECTV customers to go public. If you believe the party line, DIRECTV settles these things in due course. If you don't buy the dogma, it doesn't change the renewal cycle that has been going on since the FCC allowed the affiliates to charge for carriage outside of another incidence of cracking the doors on an otherwise closed-door negotiation.

It may impact the commitment status for those contemplating upgrading/adding hardware in the next few days but that's probably not a big cross section.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Losing FOX in Des Moines wouldn't bother me one bit.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#54 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Add WWMT Channel 3 to the list for Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battlecreek MI DMA.

#55 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

This seems to be little more than an indictment of DIRECTV in the court of public opinion as opposed to a important message to those impacted.

Their scroll is a total indictment of Directv and I am not sure where they get the "we dont want to take it public" from. This message is totally "taking it public"

"Attention Directv Customers. Beginning on March 1, 213 we no longer expect this station to be carried by Directv. This blackout of our programming will only affect Directv subscribers. Dish network and cable subscribers will not be impacted. Only Directv subscribers are expected to lose access to this station on March 1st. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest Directv subscribers call Directv at 1-800-Directv or make alternative arrangements to continue to watch our great programing. Thank you"

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
HR24-500 -- Samsung UN32EH5000FXZA

#56 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am only loosing CBS21 and CW15... neither of them i watch....

So let them battle in there greed :lol:

Even if i did watch any of the stations, since i have been with Directv they have always worked out a deal before the plug was pulled or at worst case a few days after... so to me a few days with less channels wont be the end of the world!

Edited by Old_School, 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#57 OFFLINE   tigercat74

tigercat74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sinclair owns ABC FOX AND CW in Columbus. That is a lot of channels that I watch.

#58 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I live in the Harrisburg OTA but far enough away to get the NY stations should they take away the locals. Considering CBS 21 is a pathetic channel that doesn't even have their syndication in SD, I say bring on the NY feed

#59 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hey Sinclair. I got 4 characters for ya! AM21 or HR20 :)

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#60 OFFLINE   David Carmichael

David Carmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

My main question is: Will the HR20 and units with the external over the air tuner still be able to record these stations when and if they get pulled by the dispute?

As in my market area I will loose FOX & CW.

:David

#61 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Since both Dish & Direct have OTA tuners, I wish they would give you a discount if you drop locals (and provide guide data for the OTA channels). Then the stations (and networks charging outrageous affiliation fees to the stations) wouldn't get a dime of my money.

Dish & Direct should also sell, install and service OTA antennas. It could be a new revenue source for them instead of loosing money for every customer to retrans fees.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#62 OFFLINE   ohioviper

ohioviper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Sinclair owns ABC FOX AND CW in Columbus. That is a lot of channels that I watch.

Yep we are really getting hit hard here out of c-bus.

#63 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

As I said, I will lose CBS, but I only watch 1 CBS show. Will I still have access to CBS on demand if I lose my CBS channel? If that is the case, no big deal, I'll just watch my show OD.

#64 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

dtv has a good negotiation rate, the march 1st thing is a scare tactic to say the least.

#65 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

My main question is: Will the HR20 and units with the external over the air tuner still be able to record these stations when and if they get pulled by the dispute?

As in my market area I will loose FOX & CW.

:David

Yes, the OTA signal received by these units will record. You do have to change your recording options for those shows that you currently have series links for that involve the stations in question. Make sure you change those links to use the OTA channel and not the DirecTV channel. (They should have "-" , dash channel numbers. In our area Fox 17 is what we need, so I will change the recording options to 17-1 and the problem is solved.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#66 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 627 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

I record too much TV. Lately I have been going through my series links and deleting series I have been watching out of habit.

I mention this because in Pittsburgh we are effected here with our Fox abd CW channels. The only series I record on either of these channels is the Following.

If I loose Fox I have plenty of other stuff to watch.

In my house, Kevin Bacon would be the big loser in this situation.

#67 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

I would be losing ABC and CW. Maybe, I should send Sinclair Broadcasting an email expressing my ........................ :zzz:

#68 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thankfully I have an AM21 because those greedy buzzards not only own the ABC affiliate in my market, but they also just bought the FOX & CW affiliate as of the 1st of January.

#69 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

I will lose CBS. I think that D* should give us the National feed until this s resolved, but I bet there is some kind of legal issue that would prevent that.

Very doubtful but it was done for a decent number of customers who lost their FOX networks with the Northwest Broadcasting dispute last year. They were given the FOX out of LA. Not all customers received them so I would imagine there are plenty of laws combating the ability to offer it.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#70 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,083 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Very doubtful but it was done for a decent number of customers who lost their FOX networks with the Northwest Broadcasting dispute last year. They were given the FOX out of LA. Not all customers received them so I would imagine there are plenty of laws combating the ability to offer it.

There's the problem. Too many laws preventing a service provider accessing a national network feed to it's customers during a carriage dispute.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#71 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would be losing ABC and CW. Maybe, I should send Sinclair Broadcasting an email expressing my ........................ :zzz:

lol.. just wanted to point out, that made me giggle.

#72 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thankfully I have an AM21 because those greedy buzzards not only own the ABC affiliate in my market, but they also just bought the FOX & CW affiliate as of the 1st of January.

But, as I understand it, DirecTV controls what appears in your program guide so if they remove the OTA channel from your guide your AM21 will be useless.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#73 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

But, as I understand it, DirecTV controls what appears in your program guide so if they remove the OTA channel from your guide your AM21 will be useless.

Other than a problem for some with the -1 channel banner, they won't remove the OTA channels from the guide.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#74 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

dtv has a good negotiation rate, the march 1st thing is a scare tactic to say the least.

Does that mean they'l pay whatever the broadcaster wants? I would think that Sicnlair needs DTV as much as DTV needs them. Sinclair losing a big viewer base can't impress their advertisers.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#75 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Does that mean they'l pay whatever the broadcaster wants? I would think that Sicnlair needs DTV as much as DTV needs them. Sinclair losing a big viewer base can't impress their advertisers.

Both need each other, no doubt, though one would think that leverage sides with the provider, as they provide the customer base, but this is twisted.
--
It's the same reason scrawls are ran, because networks know that people will call thier provider all PO'ed. While viewers can change companies to get a network, because there is competition, you can't change networks to get the same program, in most cases. And the networks themselves don't have to deal with the customer service aspect, so run crawls to force tons of calls from customers to providers, to apply pressure.
--
And to top it off, most of the time, it's the networks that are trying to get more money, not providers trying to pay less.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...