Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DEAL REACHED: Directv Customers may lose the Sinclair Stations Mar 1

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Here is a list of stations to be affected.

Dish drops the DVR guide data when they pull stations. When DirecTV pulls stations, do you still get guide data for the OTA?

What I've seen in the past is there will be two listings in the guide for the OTA channel. If you enter just 42-1 for example you get the info slide, you need to go into the guide matrix and select the second 42-1 which does have the programming information in it. What I'm not sure of is will any series link you have set for 42-1 end up recording the info slide or the actual 42-1 or will we need to redo any SL for the second 42-1?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Here is a list of stations to be affected.

Dish drops the DVR guide data when they pull stations. When DirecTV pulls stations, do you still get guide data for the OTA?

OK, so I am marginally affected. I stand to lose our local CW channel. I think 7th Heaven was the last show I watched on the CW, so for me, it is no big deal. I would have missed CBS and FOX, but I would never notice if CW is there or not.

#43 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would lose CBS and That is the local channel that we watch the most at my house.

#44 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I can easily get along without NBC. So I won't be calling Directv about this like Sinclair wants me to! If Sinclair can do without Directv customers, I can do without Sinclair.

Hmmmm. I went to Sinclair's website and gave them a piece of my mind, even though I have no dog in the fight.
From what I've seen they've published, they are scum.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#45 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

This will get done like it always does. I don't personally record any CBS shows - but March Madness is coming.

#46 OFFLINE   Weather88

Weather88

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHalfmoon, NY (Albany DMA)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm in the Albany, NY DMA and Sinclair owns our CBS (WRGB) and The CW (WCWN). Here's for hoping they at least force DirecTV to carry the HD feed of the local CW which has been HD on cable for years now and is now HD on Dish.

#47 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm in the Albany, NY DMA and Sinclair owns our CBS (WRGB) and The CW (WCWN). Here's for hoping they at least force DirecTV to carry the HD feed of the local CW which has been HD on cable for years now and is now HD on Dish.

Amen. While we look at it from Directv's side, I am hopeful Sinclair wins these battles in the process.

#48 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Fox 66 in Flint is what I'll lose. I record The Following and other than that I won't miss it. These "disputes" are getting old. I honestly don't know why they do them. The customer is always the one getting screwed. We miss our shows then get to pay more down the road when the annual rate hikes kick in.

#49 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

how many cities have a Sinclair channel in them

here is another site http://www.stationin...-owner/Sinclair that list each cities.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#50 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Problem is, most broadcasters are operating right on the verge of bankruptcy. Retransmission money is all that is keeping many of them afloat.
The networks have gotten their hands on some of that retrans money, too.

Without the money from retransmission, stations have to lay off employees, cut back on programming, and let technical issues slide. If the local stations get out of the way, the big networks will take over the whole thing. Think 6 or 8 bucks a month for ESPN is a lot of money? What will the major networks require you to pay for their expensive-to-produce programming? And, how many "add-on" channels will they require you to pay for, like it or not?

Don't think you are going to get free TV from the internet, either. Once they get the affiliates out of the way, you'll pay dearly for that programming....with your wallet, and with your (advertising-watching) eyeballs.

The networks, not the local stations, are the real experts at getting money from you.
They know how to play hardball.

#51 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

here is another site http://www.stationin...-owner/Sinclair that list each cities.

That list appears to be a little out of date, it doesn't include KEYE in Austin TX which was purchased a few months ago.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Although Sinclair does not believe that it is constructive to negotiate its private business relationships in public, Sinclair is informing the public in advance of the end of carriage because it is aware of the impact on a segment of the public from the end of the relationship between the Sinclair stations and DirecTV.

This seems to be little more than an indictment of DIRECTV in the court of public opinion as opposed to a important message to those impacted.

Maybe it will slow the hemorrhaging for some of DIRECTVs competitors but I don't see where this benefits many DIRECTV customers to go public. If you believe the party line, DIRECTV settles these things in due course. If you don't buy the dogma, it doesn't change the renewal cycle that has been going on since the FCC allowed the affiliates to charge for carriage outside of another incidence of cracking the doors on an otherwise closed-door negotiation.

It may impact the commitment status for those contemplating upgrading/adding hardware in the next few days but that's probably not a big cross section.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Losing FOX in Des Moines wouldn't bother me one bit.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#54 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Add WWMT Channel 3 to the list for Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battlecreek MI DMA.

#55 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

This seems to be little more than an indictment of DIRECTV in the court of public opinion as opposed to a important message to those impacted.

Their scroll is a total indictment of Directv and I am not sure where they get the "we dont want to take it public" from. This message is totally "taking it public"

"Attention Directv Customers. Beginning on March 1, 213 we no longer expect this station to be carried by Directv. This blackout of our programming will only affect Directv subscribers. Dish network and cable subscribers will not be impacted. Only Directv subscribers are expected to lose access to this station on March 1st. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest Directv subscribers call Directv at 1-800-Directv or make alternative arrangements to continue to watch our great programing. Thank you"
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#56 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am only loosing CBS21 and CW15... neither of them i watch....

So let them battle in there greed :lol:

Even if i did watch any of the stations, since i have been with Directv they have always worked out a deal before the plug was pulled or at worst case a few days after... so to me a few days with less channels wont be the end of the world!

Edited by Old_School, 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#57 OFFLINE   tigercat74

tigercat74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sinclair owns ABC FOX AND CW in Columbus. That is a lot of channels that I watch.

#58 OFFLINE   pennStateFootball

pennStateFootball

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I live in the Harrisburg OTA but far enough away to get the NY stations should they take away the locals. Considering CBS 21 is a pathetic channel that doesn't even have their syndication in SD, I say bring on the NY feed

#59 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hey Sinclair. I got 4 characters for ya! AM21 or HR20 :)

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#60 OFFLINE   David Carmichael

David Carmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

My main question is: Will the HR20 and units with the external over the air tuner still be able to record these stations when and if they get pulled by the dispute?

As in my market area I will loose FOX & CW.

:David

Protected By... spam firewall...And...