Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BUG REPORT: lots of channel switching causes reboot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alipka

alipka

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

I can't give an exact series of events that is precisely reproducible, but I have been having 4-5 crashes per day that result in the grey X screen of death followed by reboot, with a similar pattern:

1. Tune one channel; SD or HD
2. Tune another channel; SD or HD
3. Use recall to bounce back and forth a lot between them
4. After a while, press PIP --> crash

or, after step 3, go to guide, or just tune another station, or even just press recall again --> crash

Boot 120B
Flash F051
SW L145 HECD-N
SW64 switch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

I've had similar crashes just from tuning different channels while in the guide (selecting the channel while highlighting the channel number on the left which keeps you in the guide but tunes in the new channel). Do it enough times and a crash occurs.

Same software version as you, 1.45.

#3 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:25 PM

The same thing happens to me every day. Just changing channels one at a time will cause the reboot. I am getting to the point that I am afraid to do any channel surfing at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:08 PM

Same; I've done this twice now on L145, where I've crashed the receiver simply by changing channels frequently (even just on the satellite; not using the OTA tuner). One of the crashes went to the gray X-Windows screen with the "X" cursor on it, while the other just hung the receiver completely.

#5 OFFLINE   tm22721

tm22721

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:01 PM

The 921 has only crashed when I use the channel up/down keys.

It has never crashed when I use the guide (or the keypad) to change channels.

#6 OFFLINE   Schaefling

Schaefling

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

I have experience similar problems. The 921 can crash without notice simply by changing channels frequently or by changing aspect ratios and settings frequently. I am now rebooting my 921 right this moment because of one such crash.

Can Mark Lamutt please respond to this thread and let us know if this is a known issue with the 921. I sure hope so and I sure hope a fix is in the works because this is one of the most serious bugs 921 has. I mean If we can't channel surf without frequent crashes the 921 is pretty much worthless.

Schaefling

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:22 AM

Sorry I've been away for the last 10 days from here much. Been very sick...but feeling better now finally.

I've had very similar things happen to me, and most of the time in my case it's been a direct result of changing channels with very fast button presses. I've found that eventually this causes the 921 to become unstable.

I'm passing along all of these messages through the beta channels to prove the point to the developers that this is a big problem.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 OFFLINE   Schaefling

Schaefling

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the assist Mark. If this problem in particular could be rectified it could go a long, long way towards stabilizing the 921.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:06 PM

I agree, and unfortunately, it's one of the most difficult to track down as it's very hard to replicate.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#10 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:23 AM

I concur.

Lots of channel changing whether in the guide or up/down will cause high instance of crash. Appears to be more of a problem where you change channels between the OTA and sat tuners too. I have no statistics but just have come to the same conclusions as others. The speed of channel changing doesn't appear to cause increase of crashing but many of the signals to change channels go ignored. If I see a channel change result in a very slow response, usually the next signal sent to the receiver will result in a crash.

#11 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:18 AM

I have had similar problems but it is so inconsistent it will be hard to fix. After flipping through HD and SD channels then going over to an OTA the gray screen of death comes up after about 5 mins of watching channel. I have only had it happen twice in a week but it did it during the warm up to Superbowl, scared me to death that I was going to miss something.

#12 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:31 PM

This morning I set up some programs to record via the program guide then closed the guide. Watched the channel that was on for about 15 minutes. Channeled down one channel. The banner for the channel came up, but no video, just a black screen. The system was frozen and would not take any commands. I did not get the black x on the ugly background, but the system rebooted and went through the normal reboot process. Came up ok after about five minutes. This is really getting frustrating!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...