Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it time....for a new receiver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Last night my HR21-700 kept resetting itself. I unplugged it for a bit, and then it settled down for the rest of the evening. Then this morning, it wouldn't turn on at all until I unplugged it from the wall. Got an error code 14-530. Is it time to put Bessie out of her misery and call for a new receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

An error starting with 14- means the hard drive is dying/dead. Time to call DirecTV.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Called Directv and they pronounced it dead shortly into our conversation. She couldn't tell me what replacement receiver I would get though. What has everyone been getting lately for replacements? I wouldn't think they would replace it with another HR21-700 since they've been around for quite a while. Whatever it is, just hope my AM21 will work with it. Worst part about this, is there were some shows on there I was hoping to dub off to dvd...and didn't get around to it.

#4 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Got my replacement in the mail. Was hoping for something a little newer...instead got a refurbished HR21-200. I thought they were trying to get rid of the HR21's with all the problems they've had.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm running an HR21 that dates back to when they first came out and haven't had any problems with it at all.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Got my replacement in the mail. Was hoping for something a little newer...instead got a refurbished HR21-200. I thought they were trying to get rid of the HR21's with all the problems they've had.

They just Did That - They sent it to you :lol:

It's the same as the HRXX It's just a matter of internet wisdom that one model is greater than another. Unless "you" can see a side by side compare only then will "YOU" be able confirm that to "yourself" Not in any OP expressed.

Does it Record? Does it Play Live TV? -If not call and get another "Free" replacement off the top of the return pile.

YMMY.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

The 21-200 is a step below the 21-700, but still a good DVR. I had one for a long time. I also had one that started smoking the first night we had it. Fortunately, my son smelled the smoke and called me. I got the 21-200 that lasted for several years in return for the smoking 21-200.

Of all the 21 series HRs, I think the 21-700 and 21-200 were the best. But, after a couple years they did slow up considerably.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...