Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shows running late

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

A number of shows run a couple of minutes after the hour. This really messes me up when I want to record. If I go to manual record I can start a show early, but not later. I know I could get another receiver, but I do not want one. Why doesn't Direst have a time record set? Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

You can set a manual record time right down to the minute. Any minute of any hour.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I find it easier to just FF 4x when, if and as that occurs.

Is this really a problem, or simply an annoyance? Runner's solution works if it's the former or the latter; mine works for the latter but is far quicker than a manual setup, (unless it's a recurring event, which may make it worth the time.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I can not find how to set the recording down to the minute.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

You have to start in the Manual Record section.

I am curious to know why this is a problem.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Manual Record
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

First, to me it doesn't sound like he is actually doing a manual record. He is using a series record and trying to adjust the start time. When you do that you are only allowed to start a little early, and end a little late. You can't set it to start late or end early.

A true manual record doesn't have any ties to the show at all. It is more like old school VCR recording where you tell it what channel, what time, and what day, and it records that every time no matter what show is airing.

That should help clear that portion up.

Now back to the OP comment. I assume you are talking about shows that the guide lists as running in a certain time block like from 7-8, but in reality they might start at 6:59, or end at 8:01 but the guide does not reflect that. If that is the case then the DVR actually tries to help you out on it's own here if it can. If the tuner in the DVR is free it actually starts recording the show like 30 seconds before the show starts, and ends like a minute 30 after the show ends to try to help keep you from missing the beginning or end. So for a 7-8 show it actually records from 6:59:30 to 8:01:30. In order to see that first 30 seconds you actually have to hit rewind when you start playing the recording. The last minute and a half just plays at the end without you doing anything.

Now if you are talking about the guide actually showing the show running long (for example the guide says it airs from 7-8:01), then that is a different story. Because the guide data says that the DVR knows it has to record until 8:01. So if you have two other shows that start at 8:00 then you are going to miss one of them. There isn't much you can do about that, other than hope that show is repeated later that night/week, or set up a manual recording to record from 8:01 to whenever on that specific channel. If it is repeated later that night or week then your DVR will automatically record the other later showing (even if it doesn't show that it is going to do so in the To Do List).

This is why it is a good idea to edit your series prioritizer list to put all ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC shows at the top, and cable channel shows lower down. Cable channels tend to run repeats a lot more often and you are likely to be able to catch it again later pretty easily.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Very nice summary of good info, Mr. Talker..... or is that "Stalker"? :D

#9 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

You explained it better than I could. If they would let you start late or do it by time this would not be a problem.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

You explained it better than I could. If they would let you start late or do it by time this would not be a problem.

Again, you can set a recording by time. It's called "Manual Record" and can be accessed with the steps I provided above.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Can you state why this is a problem for you? In so doing, you may say something that'd help us assist you better. Besides, I am inquisitive!

Where are you stuck here?

Edited by Laxguy, 20 February 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I can not do a manual recording to start a show late only to start it early.

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

RunnerFL gave you this

Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Manual Record

It's a menu sequence that leads you to a page that looks much like a set up screen for a VCR. You select the channel, start time, duration, and what day or days of the week you want to record.

#14 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

TIVo has "soft padding", or used to. It allowed a show scheduled as a Season Pass to finish recording if it ended at an odd time (7:01) and then if you had 2 Season Pass shows starting at 7:00 it would start the lowest priority show at 7:01. The theory is you'd miss 1 minute of your lowest priority show but at least all 3 shows in this scenario would record.

DirecTV doesn't have this feature. A Series Link can't be modified to start late.

A manual recording CAN be set up to start whenever you like for however long you want and can be set up to repeat. As long as the show airs in the same time slot and day you can use this to avoid recording conflicts.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yes, you can. You can setup a manual record to start at the minute of your choosing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

WIth a manual recording you can set it to record from any minute of any hour to any minute of any hour....I'm thinking you're not quite understanding the whole manual record thing.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

WIth a manual recording you can set it to record from any minute of any hour to any minute of any hour....I'm thinking you're not quite understanding the whole manual record thing.

Actually no, you can't set the end time. You set a duration.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Actually no, you can't set the end time. You set a duration.

Correct, my bad...but same result since you can set the recording duration down to the minute.

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Correct, my bad...but same result since you can set the recording duration down to the minute.

Absolutely. You can set a recording for 59 minutes, 1 hour and 2 minutes, etc. It came in handy this year when Discovery Channel decided to setup each episode of "Curiosity" to be its own show instead of an episode of "Curiosity".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   westview

westview

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I apologize. I finally figured out how to do it. I just did not go far enough. Thanks for the help.

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

I apologize. I finally figured out how to do it. I just did not go far enough. Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear it!

Would you be kind enough to say why you need to do this?

#22 OFFLINE   Eddie501

Eddie501

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Not the OP, but have the same issue. It's because if you have two season passes set to record from 9:00-10:00 and something in the previous timeslot goes from 8:00-9:01 it will not record one of them because of that one minute over-run. And there is no option to force the prior program to end one minute early or the latter to start one minute late. You can only start early or end late.

Sure you can set manual recordings & use your DVR like VCR but that kind of defeats the purpose of 'set it & forget it'. In a perfect world, the networks would stop this idiocy. But that's probably not going to happen so it seems like it would be fairly simple for DirecTV to allow an early end or a late start to your season passes.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thank you, Eddie. Makes perfect sense. I've been spoiled with the Genie, not had a conflict since I got it to add to an HR24.

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

What's really irritating are the sports broadcasts that delay networks prime time programming. You have no way to know in advance HOW MUCH that delay is going to be. I can't remember this happening in the past... Sunday night prime time began on time always.

The way I get around it is just to record a show or two AFTER the shows I really want to watch on the same channel.

Still, it's VERY annoying! And CBS feeble attempt to fix this by delaying their Sunday night prime time schedule by 30 minutes didn't work either because the sports delay wasn't exactly 30 minutes.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

What's really irritating are the sports broadcasts that delay networks prime time programming. You have no way to know in advance HOW MUCH that delay is going to be. I can't remember this happening in the past... Sunday night prime time began on time always.

The way I get around it is just to record a show or two AFTER the shows I really want to watch on the same channel.

Still, it's VERY annoying! And CBS feeble attempt to fix this by delaying their Sunday night prime time schedule by 30 minutes didn't work either because the sports delay wasn't exactly 30 minutes.

You can also add a lot of time to the program you want to see to take care of the push back.

I'd rate that a 1 on a scale of 1-10 for annoyance, though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...