Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No way to delete from Rental folder?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I've downloaded Season 4, episode 8 of True Blood using "Watch Later". I waited a week to try and watch it. When selecting it and clicking on "Watch", the screen goes black and nothing else happens. Hitting the stop button or rewind/fast forward buttons do nothing. The only way to get out is to go to the Guide and select a channel.

I would like to try and delete the downloaded episode, but there seems to be no functional way to delete an item in the Rentals folder so that it can be downloaded again.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

1st step of troubleshooting is COLD REBOOT; disconnect power cord for a minute.

#3 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

1st step of troubleshooting is COLD REBOOT; disconnect power cord for a minute.

Which is another pain in my ass. The Hopper does not have a removable power cord, making it a real bitch to move a giant TV console in order to unplug it.
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI

#4 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

For all intensive purposes a red button reset does the same thing as pulling the power cord.

#5 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I've downloaded Season 4, episode 8 of True Blood using "Watch Later". I waited a week to try and watch it. When selecting it and clicking on "Watch", the screen goes black and nothing else happens. Hitting the stop button or rewind/fast forward buttons do nothing. The only way to get out is to go to the Guide and select a channel.

I would like to try and delete the downloaded episode, but there seems to be no functional way to delete an item in the Rentals folder so that it can be downloaded again.

I had the same problem a few months ago. It's caused by a bad download. Rebooting the Hopper won't fix. Spent some time on the phone with tech support, the only fix is to wait out the rental period, then it will either delete on it's own or let you delete it then.

#6 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

REMINDER. To some SW oriented ppl: COLD REBOOT is more appropriate in many cases; using red RESET button wouldn't restore all internal registers/flags/etc to that state what is achieving by COLD REBOOT [only].

#7 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,200 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I had the same problem a few months ago. It's caused by a bad download. Rebooting the Hopper won't fix. Spent some time on the phone with tech support, the only fix is to wait out the rental period, then it will either delete on it's own or let you delete it then.

I have one stuck in my rental folder from last April. I've tried everything short of a factory reset.

#8 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

REMINDER. To some SW oriented ppl: COLD REBOOT is more appropriate in many cases; using red RESET button wouldn't restore all internal registers/flags/etc to that state what is achieving by COLD REBOOT [only].

Do you know how the equipment works and how they have it configured to boot after a front panel reset? They both do the same thing . the only real difference is a cold reboot releases static that may be built up in the line.

#9 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Just like restarting a computer is the same as unplugging and replugging. The only time power cycling can make a difference is if there is a hardware issue or a low-level (BIOS, EFI, etc.) issue.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 20 February 2013 - 10:24 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#10 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Just play the recording, then the option to delete will be available.

#11 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

To continue educate SW-centric ppl: there is no "static build up", it's [at least] incorrect view of real processes inside the DVR or any similar box. All of them designed that way to prevent it.

If we will go into detail how RBR (red button reset) and cold reboot are different , we will not find enough auditory who will understand the details.
Here is a one of rare, simple example: capacitors and its ability to hold energy - that would prevent to reset some bits in internal registers using RBR. In case of cold reboot, the capacitors (if you'll give enough time to discharge) will lost the energy. To show how it complicated: some of the capacitors reside inside of microchips.

Edited by P Smith, 20 February 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#12 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,200 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Just play the recording, then the option to delete will be available.

Bad download won't play on mine. :)

#13 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Oh, duh. I was on my phone, didn't read the whole thread, yeah guess that won't work if it won't play.

#14 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

If Dish is reading this, may I suggest that a software enhancement request be submitted so that we have a way of deleting items in the Rental folder?

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

For all intensive purposes a red button reset does the same thing as pulling the power cord.

:crying_sa

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall