Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why do offers change?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I phoned DirecTV recently to drop a premium movie channel. The front line CSR then transferred me to the appropriate department where the rep promptly and cordially did exactly what I asked. During the conversation I told her my current receiver setup and she said "that's crazy". "You don't need all those receivers," she said. "You just need a Genie." Then she said she referred to my acount and proceeded to tell me all about the abilities of the HR34 and told me I could have one and the installation it would require for only $299 which she explained I would recover in no time since I could disconnect excess current receivers. I thanked her for her explanation of what I qualified for and told her I would closely consider the offer.

Then she said I had better accept the offer right then since it might not be available when I call in later. Huh?

Seeing the more attractive offers reported here than I received it certainly makes me wonder what the next person may find my account history allows. If offers change based on when you ask what is available, do you think DirecTV might not know this contributes to "CSR roulette"? It certainly makes me wonder what the next spin of the wheel may produce. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

IIRC, individual CSR's are allowed a certain number of credits/deals over a certain period of time (to prevent individual CSR's from giving the house away on every call).

So, you could call one and they have X amount of credits left to give that week and another might not have any left to give.

BTW, since each client still has a monthly charge, you probably wouldn't save anything off your monthly bill by converting to a Genie and clients.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

To me it just sounds like another CSR that doesn't know what they are talking about and is just trying to make a sale.

As long as he still has DirecTV service at the same number of TV locations his bill isn't going to change at all. Not to mention the fact that the CSR is charging full price for the genie (unless multiple clients were included in that order also).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

...she said I had better accept the offer right then since it might not be available when I call in later. Huh?...

"Offer Limited" is a common disclaimer in advertising. Four reasons:

1) it creates a false sense of urgency so that you might jump before you know all the facts or before reading the fine print, or before cooler heads prevail.

2) They track offers as to how successful they are, and if one starts to falter, they pull it and then conjure up some new offer that they feel will do better.

3) It also keeps the customer off base, unfamiliar with what they have, which thwarts comparison shopping to a degree.

4) It may have no other purpose than for the sales force to justify their own existence to management.

In the case of DTV, they are pushing Genie at the moment because that is an industry trend, and they don't want the far-superior DISH Hopper to erode their subscriber base.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,402 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

As long as he still has DirecTV service at the same number of TV locations his bill isn't going to change at all.

Doesn't an existing customer who bites on the Genie on or after February 7th have to submit to the $25 Advanced Receiver Service Fee (unless they are under the protection of a signing promotion)?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

In the case of DTV, they are pushing Genie at the moment because that is an industry trend, and they don't want the far-superior DISH Hopper to erode their subscriber base.

LOL, only in your mind is the Dish Hopper far superior. You couldn't give me one. I think there is actually a lot of false advertising going on about the benefits of the Hopper.

I think the HR34 is so great I can't wait for the day we can have two of them on one account. 10 actual, true tuners. The Hopper can not match that in its present form.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,509 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The Hopper can be a better option, it all depends on your viewing habits, particularly if it's a lot of network primetime. And they do allow multiple Hoppers.

For some of us Genie makes more sense, for others, it's Hopper.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Doesn't an existing customer who bites on the Genie on or after February 7th have to submit to the $25 Advanced Receiver Service Fee (unless they are under the protection of a signing promotion)?

You act as of that fee is an additional $25 beyond what others would pay, rather than the rolling of other fees into one package...which it is.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the advanced receiver fee is only for new accounts. Existing customers still have the DVR fee, MRV fee, and HD fee seperate, which also went up the same amount I believe.

So right now if he has say 3 DVRs on his account he is paying $12/month for two additional receivers. If he switches to a Genie and two clients he will still be paying $12/month for two thin clients.

I suppose he might save a few cents a month in electricity costs since the clients use less electricity, but his DirecTV bill shouldn't change at all.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Clarification : Three of my four HRs are connected to one TV allowing me to record six streams at once which happens often. The one Genie could replace those three receivers giving me a net loss of one tuner...something I could probably live with.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Clarification : Three of my four HRs are connected to one TV allowing me to record six streams at once which happens often. The one Genie could replace those three receivers giving me a net loss of one tuner...something I could probably live with.

When I had D*, I had 2 HR24s at my TV so I could record 4 events at once. Most of the time that wasn't a problem, but on some occasions that meant scheduling a non-broadcast showing at a later/different time to prevent conflicts. Fortunately the 'cable' channels repeat incessantly making that doable. But it was a bit of a PITA managing at times.

If I had opted for a Genie, I would have expected it to be able to cover the vast majority of potential conflicts.

Now that I have a Hopper, I cover all the bases that matter to me with the '6' tuners during primetime. Makes managing much less of a PITA.

For my viewing needs, broadcast primetime was the big issue with conflicts since they don't tend to repeat, or at least not repeat anywhere soon after the initial showing. For others that see conflict issues away from the broadcast channels, the Genie would be a better choice IMO.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

As for marketing and promotional offers, realize the department that decides that does so via examining goat entrails, patterns of clouds in the sky, detailed analysis of mice in a maze filled with little TV sets, and some other details the TOS won't let me describe here.

:eek2:

#13 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,402 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm pretty sure the advanced receiver fee is only for new accounts.

Can anyone with a recent bill and an HR34 confirm (or deny) this?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

For existing customers prior to Feb 7th, whether they had the Advanced Reciever Fee or the fee's seperate, the total cost will be 23$. New customers signing up after Feb 7th will have to pay 25$. So existing customers actually won't have to pay as much as new customers going forward.
--
Also, yes, there is still a mirroring fee for additional TV's (whether it's clients, or actual recievers) because the fee is for programming, not equipment.

#15 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

This was on the back of a "Thank You For Your Order" letter I got from DTV last week. The last 3 items are on receiver fees.

Attached Thumbnails

• CCE02212013_00000.jpg

spam firewall