Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program Information Pet Peeve - Anyone Else?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Pet Peeve, Or Couldn't Care Less? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Pet Peeve, Or Couldn't Care Less?

1. I HATE This! (13 votes [22.81%])

Percentage of vote: 22.81%

2. I LOVE This! (1 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

3. I Don't Care/Have Never Noticed! (43 votes [75.44%])

Percentage of vote: 75.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I realize this is a Tribune issue and not a DirecTV issue, but I was curious if anybody else is bothered by it like I am, or if they prefer it this way?

Often, networks will air two back-to-back episodes of a show during a season or series premiere event. A recent example is "Touch." The Season Premiere night had two back-to-back episodes. Another example is the Fall Premiere and Finale of "Burn Notice"... both two back-to-back episodes.

USA Network aired a six hour block of Psych this past weekend.

However, Tribune now lumps the data together. In other words, Series Links will record the show as one recording. Need space on the DVR, but don't have time to watch both episodes... too bad, you'll need to watch something else.

Yeah, one can set up a manual recording to get both episodes in two distinct recordings, but I don't like it this way. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way?

Edited by Alan Gordon, 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Noticed this with Touch and a few others, but it doesn't matter to me either way. I might even like it a bit better this way as it was easier to watch both episodes by just having them play straight through.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 ONLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't love it, but I prefer it. IIRC, the second episode of the Touch double premiere started about three minutes before the top of the hour. By combining the two episodes into one recording, the first part of the second episode wasn't split from the rest of the show. I prefer that over having the second episode split over two recordings.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Actually it is a network issue. If FOX wants to group 2 eps of Touch as a single event, that is the way they format the info sent to Tribune, who is just a dumb servant that blindly inserts whatever metadata it is fed.

I'm not sure what that buys them. Maybe they feel that this imparts some sort of ersatz "event" status, but you can polish a turd all day long and all you get is a polished turd (and if ever there was one, Touch would be it). Possibly more people who record the show will find that they've recorded two, and will watch two. But there may be just as many who don't get either due to a recording conflict in the second hour that they otherwise would not have had. Then there are those who find this as the tipping point to stop watching altogether.

And if you want to record the show, this means that you have to give two hours of storage (or give the second hour up a week earlier than normal). I like to watch one hour at a time; I rarely marathon anything, so I find it annoying. And if you have the foresight to record it as separate eps using a manual record, then it does not nest inside the show folder, but appears as a separate event. I find that really annoying. Plus, you get two copies unless you delete the events from the SL.

Edited by TomCat, 19 February 2013 - 01:57 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

...the second episode of the Touch double premiere started about three minutes before the top of the hour...

"About" is correct; FOX often starts programs at odd times, such as 9:58:37 (I have seen the run down timing sheets sent to the stations). And while that is even more annoying than any other subject brought up in this thread so far, it is very unlikely that they would do this were the two eps not listed as a single event. And of course this thwarts any plan of recording them separately.

This could be another reason why they do this; If they can predict that the first hour will do better than the second hour by nature of what it runs against, they can front load the first hour with more commercials (and take them out of the second hour) that they can sell at a higher rate, which slides the start time of the second hour. It also conveniently overlaps the start of any program you might tune away to. Or if they do it the other way, the second ep begins before other shows you might tune away to. In both cases it eliminates the window live viewers count on to switch nets between shows (assuming they just keep watching when the second ep starts, and they rarely announce that it is a separate ep; by the time you notice that the show has gone over the hour, it's too late to switch).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I wish Tribune would just provide accurate data to D*. Some many times shows have no description or have no/inaccurate first air data so a DVR doesn't know what to do when you have a program set to record only 1st run, but this data isn't included with the program.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I wish Tribune would just provide accurate data to D*. Some many times shows have no description or have no/inaccurate first air data so a DVR doesn't know what to do when you have a program set to record only 1st run, but this data isn't included with the program.

Yes, far more important to me than other aspects.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Often, these shows are shown as a single long episode with no closing credits after the first half or opening credits before the second half. When that occurs, I believe that the program guide is correct. What stinks is that when subsequent replays occur, sometimes, each episode is listed individually. So, they end up getting recorded again because they appear to be first run episodes. This can cause recording conflicts that wouldn't otherwise occur.

I really have no problem with the double episodes being treated as a single episode. I just wish that they would be consistent.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't love it, but I prefer it.

Same here. Makes it easier to watch both hours.

In the case of Psych 6 hours I've already seen all 6 episodes, it got deleted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I wish Tribune would just provide accurate data to D*.

Tribune provides what they are provided, nothing more, nothing less. It's the Networks who provide the data to Tribune that need to provide accurate data. Tribune simply gets the data from all providers and puts the data into one database. They don't modify it in any way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Actually it is a network issue. If FOX wants to group 2 eps of Touch as a single event, that is the way they format the info sent to Tribune, who is just a dumb servant that blindly inserts whatever metadata it is fed.

My point was that it's not a DirecTV issue, as DirecTV gets their guide data from Tribune. You would be correct though...

Often, these shows are shown as a single long episode with no closing credits after the first half or opening credits before the second half. When that occurs, I believe that the program guide is correct.

The episodes are still two episodes... the network is either running one of the episodes as an extra long episode (unlikely), or airing more commercials (most likely). It's still two episodes. I've seen some episodes of programs where the Guide data was presented this way, and there was not a single thread of story in the second episode that was picked up from the first. I have no issues when the episode is truly a double episode, or a true two-parter (like if ABC aired last night's and next Monday's episode of "Castle").

What stinks is that when subsequent replays occur, sometimes, each episode is listed individually. So, they end up getting recorded again because they appear to be first run episodes. This can cause recording conflicts that wouldn't otherwise occur.

An opposite example of this is when FOX aired back-to-back episodes of "Bones" this past Summer. They aired the repeats as one single block which caused the DVRs to record them as a first-run recording.

#12 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Same here. Makes it easier to watch both hours.

In the case of Psych 6 hours I've already seen all 6 episodes, it got deleted.

I agree, BUT as in the case of Psych, it recorded 6 hours of episodes I/we have already seen. No big deal of course, just unnecessary.

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

As has been stated, Tribune merely passes the data on. I won't say they don't make any changes, they possibly add or massage data. Either to fit data formats and/or to add some director/writer/producer/actor data. (Or even other services.) DIRECTV might also add information as needed.

The other thing is FOX might not be the one starting off the posted time. MANY locals will start shows early or late. (In SLC I have to pad at least 2 minutes on any local primetime shows because they tend to record the East Coast feed, edit out things, then start at any old time they like.)

I've talked to the people in broadcast centers who aggregate Locals, they tell me it happens "all the time."

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I can confirm part of this directly: Having now Sacramento locals, I see they start The Tonight Show about 45 seconds later than did the SF station. Thank heavens for 30 skip. (I've also noticed that it's 30 seconds to the dot from when Jay walks on to getting through the adulation to beginning his monologue.....)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

I voted don't care/haven't noticed, because I have not noticed (it has not affected my recordings). However I think I would mind if I did experience it.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I can confirm part of this directly: Having now Sacramento locals, I see they start The Tonight Show about 45 seconds later than did the SF station. Thank heavens for 30 skip. (I've also noticed that it's 30 seconds to the dot from when Jay walks on to getting through the adulation to beginning his monologue.....)

:) We do learn how to skip certain things, don't we.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I voted never noticed dont care. With up to 2TB of storage capable on HR2x models, and much more on the HR34's..people should be able to find plenty of recording space.

Edited by CCarncross, 20 February 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I can confirm part of this directly: Having now Sacramento locals, I see they start The Tonight Show about 45 seconds later than did the SF station.

Interesting, since a few years ago, NBC moved the end of prime-time to 10:59:30 in exchange for moving the start of "The Tonight Show" to 11:34:30. Sounds like the Sacramento affiliate figured out how to have their cake and eat it, too. :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I voted never noticed dont care. With up to 2TB of storage capable on HR2x models, and much more on the HR34's..people should be able to find plenty of recording space.

Of course that 2TB only applies when you attach an external hard drive to your HR2x.

Edited by billsharpe, 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.
spelling correction that spell check missed!

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Of course that 2TB only applies when you attach an external hard drive to your HR2x.

Or if you own the unit you can put a 2TB drive in it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...