Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 remote commands delayed by several minutes

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Whoa...so if my hr34 goes out later (yes, legitimately), I can actually request a 44? What are the chances an agent will send it up the chain and they actually do it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Whoa...so if my hr34 goes out later (yes, legitimately), I can actually request a 44? What are the chances an agent will send it up the chain and they actually do it?

I doubt you can do that with an HR-44. Just like any new receiver, the quantities will be very low when it finally does roll out.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm not expecting my 34 to die anytime soon, I'm sure the bad Ethernet jack wouldn't qualify for replacement.

#24 OFFLINE   dlugatch

dlugatch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Yes, only available to protection plan premier agents, not my department. Also, he has to be eligible and subscribe to the PPP. It definitely never hurts for him to call and ask, but assuming that our call routing is working properly, if he had the PPP, he would have been routed to said agent when he called in with the technical issues.

Thanks for letting me know this. They never give us this kind of info here lol.

Just to let you I have the Protection Plan Premium. Didn't seem to help

Norm

#25 OFFLINE   dlugatch

dlugatch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yes, I do work in the Office of the President.

To my knowledge, that specific issue is not dealt with on a regular basis. It's something I learned when I was still working in the cancellation department, just passed via word of mouth. Our systems have thousands upon thousands of pages on every technical issue that could imagine, but not everyone has been there long enough to know where all the hard to find troubleshooting tips are. Most of the cancellation agents are VERY well versed in technical issues. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have been given the option of a receiver replacement to save your account from cancellation, but my main concerns with this issue (because it is not well documented) are:

1. There is no guarantee that a receiver replacement is going to fix your issue with the receiver. All pieces of electronic equipment have their individual idiosyncrasies, and having your receiver swapped out could potentially land you with another receiver that has an issue that you find even more annoying.

2. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will get another HR-24. It is well known that the previous iterations of the HD-DVR series are marginally slower (varies per receiver) than the HR-24. What receiver model you get when you process a replacement is based on luck of the draw, what receiver types are in stock at the point of your order being placed, and it will be a reconditioned receiver.

3. You will lose all your recordings.

If all of the above are acceptable risks, I would try calling the cancellation department again and see if you can get an agent willing to order one for you.

It's a really difficult situation that you're in. I have had (and still do to some extent) issues with my SWM network and playback on my H25 receivers, but a red-button reset fixes it. If you aren't willing to reset your receivers occasionally to resolve this, then I'm out of suggestions for you. I can tell you that the issues I've had with other providers' equipment has been a lot worse than having to reset my DirecTV receivers on a regular basis.

I wish you luck on whichever option you decide to go with :)

EDIT: Also, just to clarify, do you have an HR-24 or HR-34? Your post title states HR-24, but in your first post it says HR-34. If you have an HR-34, please disregard concern #2. Thanks.

I really take issue with item #1

I've done component level repair of all types of electronics for 45 years. Electronics products don't have idiosyncrasies unless they are not working properly.

#26 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Norm

I've PM'd you a solution. Let me know how that works out for you.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#27 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

One of my HR24s does this every 10 or 11 days if I don’t restart it regularly. I usually restart it Sunday mornings and that keeps it behaving….

Yeah, but you are Cursed... :lol:

Rich

#28 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Norm

About the 20% Available question: I haven't seen any problems with the one 24-500 that is always around 15% available. I keep it there just to see if that problem exists with a 24. I know the problem did exist with all the previous HRs (maybe not the 20-100s, 21-100s or 22-100s. I've never had one of those that worked) and was most noticeable with an eSATA attached. I've never seen any such problems with a 24. So, whatever your problem is, I kinda doubt that the HDD being full is a problem. But if it is, a reboot will solve that problem. How full is your HDD usually?

Have you tried to flush your Guide data? That is one problem I do have occasionally with my 24s. To flush the Guide data, reboot, and then reboot again within 30 minutes. That might solve your problems.

Rich

#29 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I really take issue with item #1

I've done component level repair of all types of electronics for 45 years. Electronics products don't have idiosyncrasies unless they are not working properly.

Not looking to argue, but all the HRs seem to have their little oddities. I have 12 of them and each one acts slightly differently than the others. I would think that means QC is lacking or there is no oversight from D* on the manufacturing end. Probably a bit of both. I will say it's certainly improved since the fall of '06 (had to improve, couldn't have gotten worse). The HRs seem to be much more stable than they were just a couple of years ago.

Rich

#30 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I do work in the Office of the President.

If you get a chance to talk to him, could you bring up the subject of letting us use any HDD on any HR within our accounts? This is really a sore spot with a lot of us. I would think allowing this would bring D* a whole lot of good publicity and, perhaps more subs.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   dlugatch

dlugatch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

About the 20% Available question: I haven't seen any problems with the one 24-500 that is always around 15% available. I keep it there just to see if that problem exists with a 24. I know the problem did exist with all the previous HRs (maybe not the 20-100s, 21-100s or 22-100s. I've never had one of those that worked) and was most noticeable with an eSATA attached. I've never seen any such problems with a 24. So, whatever your problem is, I kinda doubt that the HDD being full is a problem. But if it is, a reboot will solve that problem. How full is your HDD usually?

Have you tried to flush your Guide data? That is one problem I do have occasionally with my 24s. To flush the Guide data, reboot, and then reboot again within 30 minutes. That might solve your problems.

Rich

I'm usually running between 2% to 5% free. I've never flushed my guide data on any of my 4 HR's. 2 HR22's and 2 HR22's.

#32 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

If you get a chance to talk to him, could you bring up the subject of letting us use any HDD on any HR within our accounts? This is really a sore spot with a lot of us. I would think allowing this would bring D* a whole lot of good publicity and, perhaps more subs.

Rich

Heh, I wish :P

It's just called Office of the President because we take calls on behalf of executives and handle escalated issues above and beyond a normal call center scope.

I couldn't agree more, either. I have no idea what the reason behind that decision is. From what we've been (unofficially) told, it's a copyright protection measure to keep people from offloading their DVR contents to their computer and uploading them wherever, but what is to stop someone with a PC TV tuner from doing the same?

DIRECTV Employee

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

It's just called Office of the President because we take calls on behalf of executives and handle escalated issues above and beyond a normal call center scope.

I couldn't agree more, either. I have no idea what the reason behind that decision is. From what we've been (unofficially) told, it's a copyright protection measure to keep people from offloading their DVR contents to their computer and uploading them wherever, but what is to stop someone with a PC TV tuner from doing the same?

They could still keep strong encryption using a key that is per account rather than per receiver just as Dish Network does. I suspect it was a short sited decision made early in the design stages of the HR20 years ago and now changing it is considered a low priority.

As for getting an HR24 replaced – sounds like a risky thing… Unless DirecTV fixes their inventory process (or should I say lack-of inventory process?) I’ll hang on to the HR24 I have that needs to be restarted every week…. For that matter I’ll stay away from the HR44 for the same reason.

#34 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm usually running between 2% to 5% free. I've never flushed my guide data on any of my 4 HR's. 2 HR22's and 2 HR22's.

Give it a try, nothing will be harmed by doing it. It will take awhile to repopulate the Guide data. That's usually the first thing I try if I have a problem with an HR. Usually works. If you're gonna maintain those levels of capacity you really should give it a try.

Do you use external drives?

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,137 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

+1......Many have changed their service provider without researching only to discover that the grass isn't greener.

My grass is much greener in the past 17 months with FiOS.

However, this board is much more lively and interesting than the FiOS board.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#36 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dish does it. If nobody else was doing it, I probably wouldn't keep asking for it, but Dish must have the same constraints as D* does, no? I realize most people don't use the eSATA function, but that number seems to be growing as people realize how much more they can record on an HR.

What we fear is D* telling us which external devices and HDDs we have to use. On this forum, we've settled on external devices and HDDs that we know work (this doesn't pertain to the Genies) and we recommend them in good faith.

Rich

#37 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

My grass is much greener in the past 17 months with FiOS.

However, this board is much more lively and interesting than the FiOS board.

We don't get FIOS, but we're surrounded by towns that do and if it ever gets here, I'll probably give it a try. The last time I called them and asked if it would be possible to replicate my system, they laughed at me. Perhaps they've changed, it's been a long time since I talked to anybody at FIOS about it.

One thing I will say about Dish, they also laughed at me when I asked the same question, but they sent me a voucher for ~ $600 to get me started on purchasing equipment if I chose to go with them. Thought that was a nice thing to do.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Dish does it. If nobody else was doing it, I probably wouldn't keep asking for it, but Dish must have the same constraints as D* does, no? I realize most people don't use the eSATA function, but that number seems to be growing as people realize how much more they can record on an HR.

What we fear is D* telling us which external devices and HDDs we have to use. On this forum, we've settled on external devices and HDDs that we know work (this doesn't pertain to the Genies) and we recommend them in good faith.

Rich

That's why I just don't understand why D* can't/won't enable this. Dish's implementation is pretty awesome. Maybe it's a patent thing? I mean anything on the drive is encrypted just as the satellite signal is, and as that hasn't been broken (again) I don't see how piracy would be a valid concern.

Edited to say this: I'm probably oversimplifying this, knowing that the E* implementation is the raw satellite feed recorded and encrypted with their smart card, and they manage to transfer things back and forth.
Now I have no idea if the D* implementation operates similarly (in regards to DVR recordings), and it's highly possible there are technical reasons that D* cannot do this.

Edited by JBv, 26 February 2013 - 06:34 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#39 OFFLINE   mikellie

mikellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm on day 12 of constant resets, 1 minute lags, missed recordings, and partial recordings. Have called tech 3 times and sent 2 emails to no avail. All I keep getting is that it is a known issue and they are working on it. 12 DAYS!! I think they need better software engineers or else they need to work more. It takes 60+ hours and counting to figure out a problem with the HR34 that they claim to be their top of the line receiver? 13 year customer with protection plan and premier package and this is the first time I have seriously thought about leaving. Between Netflix and Hulu Plus, I can pretty much get all my shows anyhow and it would only cost me $15 a month. Only thing keeping me around is NFL Sunday Ticket.
HR34-700, HR22-100(x2), 46" Samsung 3D LED, Samsung 32" HDTV. Whole Home DVR.

#40 OFFLINE   mikellie

mikellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

In reading about the newest HR44, it claims to be the fastest DVR ever! It also has mostly the same features as the HR34. So if that's the case, why can't the same software that drives the 44 be put into the 34 to fix all the 34's lag problems?
HR34-700, HR22-100(x2), 46" Samsung 3D LED, Samsung 32" HDTV. Whole Home DVR.

spam firewall