Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hd fee

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

You want audio with that video? Well it is going to cost you!

And 5.1 audio is going to be even more :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Let's not give them ideas now...

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

could you imagine back when Black and White TV's wer the norm and when color came out ? If the local OTA could figure away to rip you off ! :nono2:

They do that in UK. Color TVs cost more per year for the license.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

They do that in UK. Color TVs cost more per year for the license.

Doesnt that support their ad free network programming though?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

All providers charge for HD, they might not have a line item for it, but is included somewhere. DirecTV is following their foot steps by not having an HD charge line item but rather a fee that encompass all services. it is called "advanced receiver fee"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

If it is free, then SD only subscribers would feel they were being charged for something they don't use.

#27 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

If it is free, then SD only subscribers would feel they were being charged for something they don't use.

OMG its like the days of Dial Tone and Rotary tone they used to charge extra for it. Now if people have the old rotary phone is sqeezed out. Remember they use to charge for every phone jack you had ! Till congress broke up the phone monoply ! Cant wait for the day when they do it to TV, charging for each TV set you have ! :mad:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#28 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Is anyone still paying the $10 HD access fee.  I have been getting it for free with autopay but it is due to expire this month. Has anyone gotten it renewed recently?

#29 OFFLINE   acer505

acer505

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

I called today and got another 12 months free, just be nice and they will give it to you.

#30 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

ok thanks for all the advice....i think when it was mentioned that hd being the norm they meant there shouldn't be a fee for it as dish and cable don't charge for it. There shouldn't be this little game every year or two where we have to call in to make sure we aren't paying 10 bucks for a service that is provided free elsewhere.

It's not a game - that's the cost.  As a business it's their right to charge what they want.  You have to remember the costs that are associated with having dual feeds, and what a bandwidth hog HD is.  Dual feeds means more bandwidth, more bandwidth means more satellites, and satellites aren't cheap to build or launch.  Not that I'm justifying it, even if it didn't take more bandwidth or effort on their part, if they want to charge for it, that is their right.

#31 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

ok thanks for all the advice....i think when it was mentioned that hd being the norm they meant there shouldn't be a fee for it as dish and cable don't charge for it. There shouldn't be this little game every year or two where we have to call in to make sure we aren't paying 10 bucks for a service that is provided free elsewhere.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have HD for life since 2009 & I''m out of contract. I don't  have any trouble at all.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#33 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,834 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have HD for life since 2009 & I''m out of contract. I don't  have any trouble at all.

You also have Dish, which has no relevancy to this topic.

• scoop8 likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

Is anyone still paying the $10 HD access fee. I have been getting it for free with autopay but it is due to expire this month. Has anyone gotten it renewed recently?

I'm paying mine.

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

I pay as well...

#36 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

I have the HD fee waived for 12 months and when it expires I'll call again to get it waived again I'm not on autopay but I am on paperless billing. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by acostapimps, 30 June 2013 - 03:46 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#37 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

A few months back I couldn't get the $10 off renewed. I received $5/mo. instead. According to the CSR I would've had to get paperless billing in addition to autopay to get the full $10.

#38 OFFLINE   PSXBatou

PSXBatou

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have Free HD for life through a promotion when I signed up in 2009 or 2010.  I have to keep Choice Ultimate or higher (hah), but if I went to the next tier down it would actually cost me more because I'd have to start paying for HD.

I don't know what the % is of people with HD but in my neighborhood most all the dishes I see are HD dishes.  I rarely see the older SD dishes anymore around here.

Every year they've seemed to be pretty receptive to giving me a Sunday Ticket discount, which is honestly the main reason I am with DTV, and the PQ is a hell of a lot better than Comcrap ever was. 

Edited by PSXBatou, 30 June 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

A few months back I couldn't get the $10 off renewed. I received $5/mo. instead. According to the CSR I would've had to get paperless billing in addition to autopay to get the full $10.

I do the paperless billing. It is fine. Each month they send me an email that looks just like the bill. It shows all the charges and credits.

Some of the companies I deal with just send the amount due and that is not enough. I still have those mailed to my house.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#40 OFFLINE   Annie61

Annie61

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have to pay for the HD. Even though (and it was confirmed by email) that I have been doing auto pay since I started.  There seems to be a question about "when" I signed up for the auto-pay.  I called and just got a $5.00 discount added to my bill for auto-pay.  It all seems very odd. because when I signed up on line, I did give the cc number.  They say I declined auto pay. But my 1st statement I got in the mail (which I found says enrolled in auto pay).  I have auto pay and paperless billing which I know I signed up for a little later after my 1st statement.  Not sure which the free HD for life comes in on. Paperless or autopay. I was getting a bunch of discounts when I 1st signed up so missed I wasn't getting free HD.  As I said to the CSR in both my email and phone call, shame for me for not catching it earler.  The very nice CSR on the phone said it probably woudln't have helped...   There were no  "available" discounts other than the $5.00 one they just gave me, but told me to call back in 6 mo, to see if they could do something,  She was very nice.  I didn't do the 'threaten to cancel"  I've only been with them for a year.  Was with Dish for a long time before that.  I have no real complaints with Direct.  They have guidelines and somewhere along the way I must have goofed, and I'm not sure where.

spam firewall