Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watch ESPN

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

because the games on the network require a affeilated video provider
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tgewin

tgewin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have Comcast Internet and I'm able to sign in on the app using my Comcast email an watch games that are marked ESPN3. I can't watch the games that are listed as ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU games though.

Ok, so if you happen to have one of the valid tv providers as your ISP, you may be able to watch ESPN3 content in the WatchESPN app. If you don't, I am aware of no other solution beyond a computer and ESPN3.com (or variation thereof).

Am I missing something and other ISPs that work with ESPN3.com have a workaround within the WatchESPN app?

#23 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

If you don't, I am aware of no other solution beyond a computer and ESPN3.com (or variation thereof).

Xbox is also an alternative. They have a nice ESPN app that covers both. If you only have ESPN3 access(like I do with Charter cable for internet/tele only) it recognizes your provider and allows you to watch ESPN3 without issue thru the app(no login required). If you try to access something that is WatchESPN exclusive, it will ask you to sign in with a particiapting provider.

I don't know why the WatchESPN phone app doesn't function like this.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#24 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

because the games on the network require a affeilated video provider

WatchESPN landed on my Apple TV, this morning. Also SKY news and more. Still looking around, trying new goodies out.

EDIT: Still screwed. Same requirement for live TV from your provider as the app. So, D* subscribers get nada.

At least the Sky News has no such requirement.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 19 June 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Don't have a magic spreadsheet at hand listing everything upcoming on the ESPNs carried by D* - but, checked the ESPN3 closet on the new Apple TV app and it appears I get to watch whatever they are showing even though D* ain't authorized for WatchESPN!

Don't know offhand if the listing differs from the ESPN3.com website.

Italy v Japan coming up and I think I'll switch forth-and-back.  It almost seemed as if PQ was better via ESPN3.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 19 June 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Color and PQ look fine. Motion in the match not as refined, smooth as D* to TV.

This is 1st gen hockey puck and I expect to buy the latest when iOS7 appears this fall. Expect a processor bump by then - will check rumor circuit beforehand.

#27 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I wish WatchESPN was on my samsung smart tv.

#28 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

If I could jump in with a question....I got an Apple TV, have it hooked up to my TV. It seems like a good way to watch Netflix movies for example on my TV, but hwy would I want to watch Sky Sports or WatchESPN on AppleTV when on that same TV I can view the ESPN channels and Sky Sports through DirecTV at the same physical TV? I know I must be missing something, thanks so much for sharing and helping me understand!

#29 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

If I could jump in with a question....I got an Apple TV, have it hooked up to my TV. It seems like a good way to watch Netflix movies for example on my TV, but hwy would I want to watch Sky Sports or WatchESPN on AppleTV when on that same TV I can view the ESPN channels and Sky Sports through DirecTV at the same physical TV? I know I must be missing something, thanks so much for sharing and helping me understand!

Because WatchESPN/ESPN3 shows more games/events than ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. So if your college team isn't on the regular 3 ESPN's, then it might be on WatchESPN, now you can watch that event on your big TV, not just your iPhone/iPad/Laptop.  

Now the only issue is DirecTV is not a provider of WatchESPN. Who knows when they will add that for their customers.  

#30 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Now the only issue is DirecTV is not a provider of WatchESPN. Who knows when they will add that for their customers.

Unless ESPN and Disney change their policy of not negotiating the Watch products seperately from their networks, it won't happen until the next time the contracts are up for renewal.

As for being able to watch Italy vs Japan, they control the blackouts based on when the game starts in your timezone. For events that are available on both ESPN3 and on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, if it starts between 12:01am - 5:59pm weekdays or 12:01am - 11:59am on weekends in your local timezone, you can access it without authenticating with a video provider. Any non ESPN3 exclusive event that starts outside of that block requires a video subscription. i.e. if something also airing on ESPN starts at 6:00pm ET, the Eastern timezone needs to authenticate with ESPN while Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska and Hawaii can watch it on ESPN3.

#31 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

I am a Comcast internet subscriber and called recently to try and get a rate reduction, so they offered me an increase from 20mbps to 35mbps along with the basic Digital TV package for $13 less a month....so I have Comcast TV in one room and now have access to WatchESPN on my Tablet and Phone.....win win! :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#32 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

D* contract with ESPN is up in 2014.

#33 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

This was a small part of the reason I switched to Fios. It didn't look like DTV was going to have this available anytime soon. I won't be using it much until college football starts. It will work on the Kindle Fire, if you that device.

#34 OFFLINE   yanksno1

yanksno1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBoynton Beach, FL

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I am a Comcast internet subscriber and called recently to try and get a rate reduction, so they offered me an increase from 20mbps to 35mbps along with the basic Digital TV package for $13 less a month....so I have Comcast TV in one room and now have access to WatchESPN on my Tablet and Phone.....win win! :)

Just be aware of their cancellation fee. I asked the CSR when they called about a Internet/TV promo if there was one, and of course they said no. So when the rates went up after the end of the promotion, I called to cancel the TV part of it and go back to just internet. And low and behold, there was a $35 cancellation fee. So it basically cut out like 3 months of the promo rate I was getting. Just keep that in mind.

This was a small part of the reason I switched to Fios. It didn't look like DTV was going to have this available anytime soon. I won't be using it much until college football starts. It will work on the Kindle Fire, if you that device.

Really wished Fios was an option here in south FL. I normally don't get the NFL package, so that's the only thing I think I'd be missing. I'd get that in a heart beat if that were available to me.

Lets Go Yankees!!!!

#35 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Just be aware of their cancellation fee. I asked the CSR when they called about a Internet/TV promo if there was one, and of course they said no. So when the rates went up after the end of the promotion, I called to cancel the TV part of it and go back to just internet. And low and behold, there was a $35 cancellation fee. So it basically cut out like 3 months of the promo rate I was getting. Just keep that in mind.

Really wished Fios was an option here in south FL. I normally don't get the NFL package, so that's the only thing I think I'd be missing. I'd get that in a heart beat if that were available to me.

One other thing about Fios that is good is that with the Ultimate package you get the NFL Redszone channel. You don't have buy the whole NFL package to get it like  DTV makes you purchase. I'm looking forward to that this fall. 

Edited by hallrk, 21 June 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think you have to have both a TV and internet provider that is the same company in order to view everything.  Pretty sure the cable companies like Comcast paid off ESPN to make it this way on purpose in order to force people to switch to cable in order to get this, as DirecTV doesn't have internet.

#37 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think you have to have both a TV and internet provider that is the same company in order to view everything.  Pretty sure the cable companies like Comcast paid off ESPN to make it this way on purpose in order to force people to switch to cable in order to get this, as DirecTV doesn't have internet.

no.. the watch ESPN app is based on TV provider ... ESPN3 coverage still exists with certain internet service providers

#38 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

no.. the watch ESPN app is based on TV provider ... ESPN3 coverage still exists with certain internet service providers

ESPN3 works thru my Internet provider, Comcast Infinity.

#39 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Espn3 does not work for Time Warner/brighthouse
non-cable subs. They must have both Internet and TV for watchespn AND espn3

They are the only ones with that stipulation at this time. Coincidentally they are also the only ones with select espn3 content available on linear tv.

Edited by mws192, 23 June 2013 - 09:10 AM.

spam firewall