Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Top Gun 3D

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Did anyone else see the Top Gun 3D conversion yet? I watched it last night. Man, they are getting good at this stuff. It's really amazing how 3D conversion technology has progressed. I would almost swear that the movie was filmed in 3D.

Worth a look if you have the chance. The flight scenes are amazing. I am so looking forward to Jurassic Park 3D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm trying to decide if the good 3D conversion is a good thing or not. If you can just convert it later, why film in 3D?

It was weird hearing the bartender talk to his boss at the Warren Theaters the other day when they were discussing Top Gun 3D. The boss was asking the bartender if he was going to see the movie and the younger guy wasn't too interested - because Top Gun was made before he was born. These kids are so young these days!

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Chris, my big question about this film is about the grain. The HD transfer used for HDNET is too grainy, and the Blu-ray transfer has too much grain reduction (looks like videotape.) Do you think they started with the Blu-ray transfer when they did the 3D conversion or do you think they did a new master?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Chris, my big question about this film is about the grain. The HD transfer used for HDNET is too grainy, and the Blu-ray transfer has too much grain reduction (looks like videotape.) Do you think they started with the Blu-ray transfer when they did the 3D conversion or do you think they did a new master?

Hard to say. The grain in there and it's easy to see, but I expected that. The film has always been grainy even when I saw it back when it came out in theaters.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Do you have the regular Blu-ray? I was amazed how much grain they took out, especially compared to the HDNET version which looks worse than DVD.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

It cannot be too grainy unless artificial grain is added. I don't know much about the 35mm film stock they used, but it would have been an intentional choice.

Edited by Hoosier205, 20 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Do you have the regular Blu-ray? I was amazed how much grain they took out, especially compared to the HDNET version which looks worse than DVD.

Yes, I had the regular Blu-Ray (which I sold). It also comes with the regular Blu-Ray but I haven't compared them yet.

All I can say is that in the 3D version, the grain is definitely there and it's actually amazing how they were able to do the 3D conversion with the grain. You would think it would be hard to work around it.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

The only substantial changes in the 3D conversion...you know...besides the 3D conversion...are the color timings and detail.

Edited by Hoosier205, 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

FYI - The 2D disc included with the new 3D release is the same 2D release from 2008. The 3D version appears to be from a newer master than the one used for the 2D version.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   BarrySandrew

BarrySandrew

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

It was a new master that was scanned at 6K for archival purposes. The color timing was done by Tony and CO3. The grain that remains was his creative call. The 3D version is precisely the way he wanted the film to look.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...