Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevedabomb

stevedabomb

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I had my genie/HR34 installed in January. It's been working fine for over a month. Now it no longer displays the volume of my receiver on the tv, gives me an HDCP protection error and defaults to 480. I've changed HDMI cables an rebooted the box numerous times. This seems to have happened after an update. The only thing I haven't tried was updating to a CE. Any thoughts, ideas?

Sony xbr4
Denon receiver
Monster thx hdmi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Not showing the volume on the TV would seem to be a TV issue. How is this connected? Are you going straight from the HR34 to the TV, or are you passing through the Denon receiver?

DIRECTV started enforcing HDCP not that long ago, is it possible that your TV has had HDCP issues all along? Do you have a Blu-ray player hooked to it?

A workaround for this would be to use the component outs on your HR34, they should work.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Is anything else connected to the Hr34? What happens if you connect directly to the TV, bypassing the A/V receiver?

#4 OFFLINE   stevedabomb

stevedabomb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Passing through the receiver. I hooked it up to the tv and it was fine. I have 4 other hdmi devices hooked up to the receiver and they all work perfect. This is a newer style Dolby true hd receiver. The volume is put on the tv by the receivers OSD. This worked for over a month in the HR34 till the update. All other devices work fine with no HDCP issues.

#5 OFFLINE   stevedabomb

stevedabomb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nothing else connected to the HR34 other than a cat5 cable

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

If you had not told me it was a Denon receiver I would have guessed it. Since HDMI was first introduced there have been more reports of issues with Denon I think than all other manufacturers added together.

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

If you had not told me it was a Denon receiver I would have guessed it. Since HDMI was first introduced there have been more reports of issues with Denon I think than all other manufacturers added together.

...hardly.
DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   stevedabomb

stevedabomb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I've had denons for years and 3-4 directv receivers. They've all worked flawlessly till the hr34. It's just weird that box worked great for a little over a month

#9 OFFLINE   eckhart

eckhart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have an HR-34 and a Denon, and I occasionally lose the on screen display of volume from the receiver on the TV. In my setup, this is a Denon receiver issue, and a hard reboot of the Denon receiver always restores it

#10 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I have an HR-34 and a Denon, and I occasionally lose the on screen display of volume from the receiver on the TV. In my setup, this is a Denon receiver issue, and a hard reboot of the Denon receiver always restores it

I have a Denon AVR891 that my HR34 is connected to and I haven't seen that issue. Since the HR34 has nothing to do with displaying the volumn from your Denon you might want to see if there is any software upgrades available for the Denon.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

...hardly.

On the DirecTV forum it's certainly the case.....

#12 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

It happen with my RX 1000 Yamaha also.... There is definitely a handshaking issue. All FW up to date on all units, new HDMI cables tried, same deal...The 34 is a buggy unit, plain and simple... This my second one in 2 months. This time been a week and that has not been an issue thus far.

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

This is most likely a DirecTV issue, again. This same thing happened a year or so ago with the H2x HD-DVRs and Denon receivers. It is the only problem I have ever had with my Denon Receiver, and it only happened when using my DirecTV HD-DVR as the source. It was some kind of an HDMI handshake issue that DirecTV evidently caused. It started with one DirecTV firmware update, and ended with the next DirecTV firmware update. Something in the HDMI signal from the DirecTV HD-DVR locked out the Denon receiver from being able to display it's GUI or any overlays including the volume bar when the HD-DVR was the video source. If I switched to my PS3, XBox360, HD-DVD player, or any other input on my Denon the GUI and Volume display would start working again.

My guess is this will be taken care of with the next HR34 firmware update.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

This is most likely a DirecTV issue, again. This same thing happened a year or so ago with the H2x HD-DVRs and Denon receivers. It is the only problem I have ever had with my Denon Receiver, and it only happened when using my DirecTV HD-DVR as the source. It was some kind of an HDMI handshake issue that DirecTV evidently caused. It started with one DirecTV firmware update, and ended with the next DirecTV firmware update. Something in the HDMI signal from the DirecTV HD-DVR locked out the Denon receiver from being able to display it's GUI or any overlays including the volume bar when the HD-DVR was the video source. If I switched to my PS3, XBox360, HD-DVD player, or any other input on my Denon the GUI and Volume display would start working again.

My guess is this will be taken care of with the next HR34 firmware update.

Exactly. I've posted a number of times- the 3D channels are grayed out for me and I lost the OSD for volume for my Denon 2112 AVR. The temporary fix for me to restore both is to simply turn the HR34 off and back on (put into standby and back on). Clearly a handshake issue
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#15 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hand shake issues.. Same with mine Yamaha RX A1000. Didn't do that with HR24. Told DTV at least 30 times in the last 2 weeks, they could care less.

(Whoops said this above kinda) - Sorry for the almost double post.

#16 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have a Denon AVR891 that my HR34 is connected to and I haven't seen that issue. Since the HR34 has nothing to do with displaying the volumn from your Denon you might want to see if there is any software upgrades available for the Denon.

Rad- it's not the Denon. My HR24-500 had worked fine with my Denon. I replaced the HR24 with the HR34-same exact connections- and the problems began,as I've said previously- bringing the HR34 to standby and then turning on fixes the problem
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

Protected By... spam firewall...And...