Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PC DVR record request not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have tried several times to set up my DVR to record an on demand program via my PC when logged into my DirecTV account but for some reason the program never records. I get an online confirmation that the request was successfully received as well as an e-mail confirmation. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

how far in advance are you making the request to record the show?

#3 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

This was an on demand episode so the timing should not matter. DirecTV/Showtime had issues with episodes 5,8,9 & 11 of "House Of Lies" as I reported in another thread. When I saw these episodes available on DirecTV's web site but not in the on demand list on my TV I decided to try scheduling them remotely. Unfortunately they never recorded. I tried remotely scheduling another Showtime on demand show and it worked. A few hours after posting I remembered their is a recording history log which I checked and sure enough the programs that did not record had an error listed. When I checked the on demand programming on my TV/DVR today these episodes were finally available so I guess the web site was populated with the episode info before the actual program content was available on DirecTV's on demand servers.

I truly hate DirecTV's on demand service as this issue with missing episodes happens all the time. You would think they would be able to figure out why and correct it. I spent over 2 weeks e-mailing DirecTV and Showtime, each blaming the other, before the issue was resolved. :nono:

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

So your issue has nothing to do with the record request not working.....your issue is that the website erroneously listed the episodes that you found were missing, and you tried to get them to download from there....am I getting that straight? I've got news for you, the missing episodes for on demand shows happens with every provider that I have ever witnessed, I believe they were also missing on Comcast. This leads me to believe it was a Showtime issue.

#5 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

In hindsight that is what I am assuming but if the web site lists a program is available for on demand downloading to your DVR the content should be there. Not why this is so hard for DirecTV to get right.

BTW - the episodes were OK for Verizon. My understanding is that Showtime provides the on demand content on their servers and service providers such as DirecTV download it from there to their own servers to make available for their customers. I would think DirecTV and other providers have software that periodically checks various on demand channels for new content and then downloads it to their own on demand servers. If the download fails then it should retry so many times and then the software should alert someone of the failure. Been in IT for over 30 years which included setting up automatic transferral of data between companies located all over the world even in the days before internet was widely available and had to use modems and phone lines which had issues periodically. This should not be so hard to figure out how to do correctly especially with today's technology.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...