Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony did presents new PS4

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Today.

http://www.nytimes.c...glory.html?_r=0
http://www.nbcnews.c...e-war-1C8452386

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yawn...
http://reviews.cnet.com/ps4/?ttag=fbwp

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

No the system itself, no price, no date of release ...

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

It gives MS plenty of time to nail down exactly what their response will be in the next Xbox.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think it's too late; it's expecting MS will announce new Xbox in March; after a few years of development, it's very hard to change HW design. Too risky do that before a release, practically during ramp up its production.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Oh I don't mean MAJOR revisions - but if MS was trying to nail down the final specs outside of the core abilities, Sony tipped it's hand. Of course by NOT quoting a price for the PS4, they at least kept some cards close to the vest.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I understand why it's not backwards compatible, but that doesn't mean I like that idea...

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I understand why it's not backwards compatible. So they can make more money from you buying a PS4-ified version of the game.

Look at any computer from 7 years ago and what it's specs are. Now look for something in that range today. You won't find anything because they don't make components that slow. The closest you can come would be something along the lines of a Raspberri Pi which costs about $30.

Backwards compatibility means more people buying your new console because you didn't make their game library (which most likely cost several times what the console cost) obsolete. You didn't force them to make an a/b setup or relegate the old machine to another room.

Backwards compatibility is *cheap*. *Dirt cheap*. The PS2 and PS3 were backwards compatible (until they removed that feature at a certain point for new PS3 sales). What does that say? It says "We don't want you buying those $10 games at Gamespot - we want you buying the $60 new games there or at BestBuy or Amazon".

Depending on what they mean with this streaming backwards compatibility, this could be a major toe-stubbing for Sony.

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Backwards compatibility is *cheap*. *Dirt cheap*. The PS2 and PS3 were backwards compatible (until they removed that feature at a certain point for new PS3 sales). What does that say? It says "We don't want you buying those $10 games at Gamespot - we want you buying the $60 new games there or at BestBuy or Amazon".

It says that maybe it's time I buy a PS3, as the market floods with cheap used PS3 games.

There are some real advantages to being behind the curve.

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Backward compatibility might be a thing(meaning, people will want) at first but it will be something most will not worry too much about once new PS4 software is released.

#11 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

If it lacked compatibility, it would most likely be an issue for the Christmas Shopping Season (by the following year, there should be more next-gen titles). Especially if it's going up against a new Xbox.

Can you just see the promo?

"Hi. Before you spend $400 on a new console, let me just remind you. OUR new console plays all your old games. Theirs doesn't. We value the money you spent on our system over the last several years. They don't."

#12 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Have to agree that backwards compatibility is a bummer for sony fans. We switched to XBOX years ago and keep a modded PS3 around to play old titles and bluray disks. PS4 will not be in our future unless it can be modded for backward compatibility.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

So we have more info. No requirements for it to be online, unrestricted used game support and $100 less than Xbox One. However, the days of free multiplayer is over, it will require a Plus account. Sounds like things like Netflix won't require that, unlike XBox.

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

I have to say, I think Sony is winning the battle here.  $100 up front speaks loudly.  Their fee for online multiplayer only matches what MS required.

MS tried to smooth feathers by saying used game fees would be "up to the publisher".  They tried to please both parties - the publishers who want to be able to do this and the consumers who will scream bloody murder at the PUBLISHER and not MS if/when it happens.  Nice deflection there, MS [/sarcasm]

MS also dropped the ball saying the 500GB drive (pathetically small) is non-upgradeable, while the PS4's drive is.

Now, MS has time to fix these gaffes - but the question is, will they?

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would say not, as usually all the restrictions discussed and settled inside of a company before public announcement

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

It says that maybe it's time I buy a PS3, as the market floods with cheap used PS3 games.

There are some real advantages to being behind the curve.

Like playing all the online multi-player games that noone has been playing for 2 years because newer versions came out....this is what the extremely frugal keep telling themselves...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...