Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S238/Joey S286 Software Experiences/Bugs

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well that's not going to happen. You might as well be speaking Chinese to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

It's not that hard for newbie, just be focused: download Linux [Ubuntu] distro - ISO image; burn CD/DVD with it; reboot your PC and boot from the CD; select: run Linux from the CD; open Terminal window; run "fdisk -l" and discover from its list your HDD designator, like "sdb"; run in same Terminal window "hdparm -s0 /dev/sdb". Done !

PS. If you did pick wrong disk, don't worry - it will not change anything. Try again.

#63 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

the utility may be downloaded from wdc.com
it is installed on a pc
after plugging in the external usb drive
i used to turn off the spin-down routine

#64 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

would be interesting to know: is the utility changed a flag in HDD's FW or in the enclosure's controller ?

#65 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

my drive is a WD external drive so it must change the firmware.

#66 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

if you'll look inside of the enclosure, you'll find its own controller

#67 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

I too had to disable sleep on my Seagate drives. Download the utility for my Windows PC, install it just long enough to change the drive configuration, and then promptly uninstall their craptastic software...

#68 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

the utility may be downloaded from wdc.com
it is installed on a pc
after plugging in the external usb drive
i used to turn off the spin-down routine

Is this the WD Smartware that comes pre-loaded on some drives? The drive that I keep connected to my computer had this and I can use it to turn off sleep mode on that drive but since it never has had any problems there wasn't a need to do that. When I connect either of the two drives that I use on the Hopper the Smartware does not recognize them. Even after re-formatting a third WD Essential drive that was connected to my 211 before the upgrade the Smartware does not see that one either.

My other concern with doing anything on the computer with the two drives is a possible auto re-format that could erase the hundreds of movies that I have stored on them.

Edited by JeffN9, 14 March 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#69 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I too had to disable sleep on my Seagate drives. Download the utility for my Windows PC, install it just long enough to change the drive configuration, and then promptly uninstall their craptastic software...

Did disabling sleep mode on them completely make the problem go away? I have been following a lot of threads on this subject for a couple of years and have yet to read a post from someone that proclaimed an immediate cure after turning off sleep mode.

Sorry I hope I'm not steering this thread off topic.

#70 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

Did disabling sleep mode on them completely make the problem go away? I have been following a lot of threads on this subject for a couple of years and have yet to read a post from someone that proclaimed an immediate cure after turning off sleep mode.

Sorry I hope I'm not steering this thread off topic.

For me it has. I had a 622 and 722 previously, and had an EHD on each. One I used actively, and disabled sleep on it 2-3 years ago, and it was fine ever since.

The other drive on the other unit I had just used to temporarily move some programs around... and I never bothered to disable sleep because I didn't use the drive in normal course. The DVR lost sight of it after a few hours every time.

When I replaced the older units with my pair of Hoppers a couple of weeks ago, I took the opportunity to disable sleep on the second EHD as well, and it's been solid ever since...

Hope that helps.

-sc

#71 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

One of the two drives that I' am currently using on the Hopper(1tb WD Essential) was originally used on a 622 that I had at the time. Not once did I ever have any problems with that set up. Once I upgraded to a 922 however the receiver lost sight of the EHD about every other day. Now that I have upgraded to a Hopper the same exact problem seems to have followed.

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

you should disable spin-down and see if it help ...

#73 OFFLINE   nickz

nickz

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't know if I would call it a "feature," but it's certainly intentional, and will not be "fixed."

It was fixed in the last software. It's broken again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...