Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Price?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ivoaraujo

ivoaraujo

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I called DTV yesterday and asked about when my 2-year commitment was over. CSR asked why I wanted to know and I said because my equipment was acting funny and I was thinking of maybe going elsewhere. I asked what would be available to me if I would commit for another 2 years? I mentioned that I saw commercial about Genie and wanted to know if that is something I could get. He said yes and told me price of $299 and Client for $99. I told him no way.
He countered a couple of times but ended up Genie $99 and Client free, so I took it. My question is, did I get a good deal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

A good deal is one you're happy with. Are you?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   ivoaraujo

ivoaraujo

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I guess, but wanted to know what anyone else thinks.

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

I would've happy with it.

#5 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I guess, but wanted to know what anyone else thinks.

As a customer for over a decade it beats the heck out of an offer I got just two days ago. :mad:
When news breaks...we fix it.

#6 OFFLINE   Cheep

Cheep

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I got an "offer" of $550 for Genie plus client. I'm not under contract, been a customer for 10+ years. I didn't ask for retention and threaten to quit or anything, but that price really does make me take a hard look at Dish, with the cool Hopper with Sling.

#7 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I got an "offer" of $550 for Genie plus client.

I missed a call from Ellen Filipiak's office yesterday and my return call to them early this morning has not been returned. My question to her involved the offers wildly moving all over the place. I don't really expect a logical answer if the lady calls again.

#8 OFFLINE   brxbmrs

brxbmrs

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

The offer I got a couple weeks ago was the Genie and client for FREE. So I took it along with the new two year contract. I then called a couple days ago to find out if they had any loyalty discounts available that they could apply to my account. They told me that I already had all discounts that were available but that they could send me a prepaid Visa with $100.00 loaded on it. So I took that too. I am not sure how people can hate on D* cause they have never been anything but great to me! I am a satisfied customer! :)

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

The offer I got a couple weeks ago was the Genie and client for FREE. So I took it along with the new two year contract. I then called a couple days ago to find out if they had any loyalty discounts available that they could apply to my account. They told me that I already had all discounts that were available but that they could send me a prepaid Visa with $100.00 loaded on it. So I took that too. I am not sure how people can hate on D* cause they have never been anything but great to me! I am a satisfied customer! :)

Who do I have to sleep with to get that offer.:)

#10 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Who do I have to sleep with to get that offer.:)

Roseanne Barr. For a year.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#11 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

I am not sure how people can hate on D* cause they have never been anything but great to me! I am a satisfied customer! :)

Because there are people who have been with them the same amount of time and don't even get a deal half that good is why they can and have every right to hate on DirecTV.

#12 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Roseanne Barr. For a year.

I just have to take one for the team.

#13 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Because there are people who have been with them the same amount of time and don't even get a deal half that good is why they can and have every right to hate on DirecTV.

:up: :up:

#14 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

I just have to take one for the team.

I'm NOT on your team ;-)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#15 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I've been with Direct TV for about 7 years and when I called a couple of months ago they told me $300 for a Genie...

#16 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Customer for over 18 years, called to "cancel", and asked what they could do for me for the Genie.

Was offered it free, installation also, and a 100 credit ( $10 p/mth), however no client offer.
Installed the very next morning.

#17 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I'm NOT on your team ;-)

Hard to call a team meeting when nobody shows up.:)

#18 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

OK, so the bottom line here seems to be that if you are timid or not knowledgeable, the overlords we each pay $100 or more a month to would like to squeeze you for every last nickel they can get, whether the deal you agree to is reasonable or fair or not, and if you are not timid or ignorant of that fact, it does not work well for them, and they will regularly cave in and give you a deal that may be hundreds of dollars better than the deal they will offer to someone who is timid or not knowledgeable.

It seems like you might have better luck haggling with a middle eastern rug salesman at a Nepalese bazaar. That is unconscionable, and not anything more than unadulterated highway robbery. DTV should be ashamed, and the executives should probably hire someone expendable to start their cars for them each morning.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#19 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I missed a call from Ellen Filipiak's office yesterday and my return call to them early this morning has not been returned. My question to her involved the offers wildly moving all over the place. I don't really expect a logical answer if the lady calls again.

The offers all over the place you can think of as similar to negotiating the price of the car. The D* agents job though never spelled out this plainly is to keep you complacent and willing to stay for the minimal investment from the company. For those unfamiliar with the concept its routinely referred to as limiting customer churn.

The better negotiator you are, the better your position to negotiate the better deal you CAN get. Keep in mind though it is in part up to the whims of the person on the phone and any limits they may have changed or imposed upon them at any given time.

#20 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I called Retention and got Genie for only the cost of installation ($49). Plus, he threw in a $200 Visa gift card. They came to install last Tuesday, but I found out that the HR44 would be available next week. Rescheduled install for Friday, with guaranteed HR44.
<p>5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

spam firewall