Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Dependable Roof Antenna

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Nothing like the old roof antenna when a ice storm hits the area. Both HD and SD Dish satellite antennas are covered with a heavy coat of ice today. No signal from Dish, so, I have to use the 20' roof antenna to get the locals stations. The signal is not as great as I have the roof antenna cabled though my Dish 211K receiver, and I don't know why or how the signal works when cabled thru the 211K. However, with this setup the signal gets restricted somehow. I must search for some type device to attached and heat the Dish antenna...if there is such a thing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

The signal is not as great as I have the roof antenna cabled though my ...

However, with this setup the signal gets restricted somehow.

I must search for some type device to attached and heat the Dish antenna...if there is such a thing.

Is it always reduced, even on clear days? It could be degraded by ice also.

Yes, there is. Sort of like heating tape that attaches to the dish.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

out there are a few such heaters - check Internet; and the forums had a few threads dedicated the problem, if you'll read you'll find different solution and recommendations ...

#4 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ah!.. here we go, the perfect thing to have during the winter months. Must get one. Although, winter is about over, but, there's winter next season.

http://www.satpro.tv...dishheater.aspx

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I would worried about LNBF icing and would use HS38FHELEMENT.
Ice buildup on LNBF is more critical for a reception.

Edited by P Smith, 21 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nothing like the old roof antenna when a ice storm hits the area. Both HD and SD Dish satellite antennas are covered with a heavy coat of ice today. No signal from Dish, so, I have to use the 20' roof antenna to get the locals stations. The signal is not as great as I have the roof antenna cabled though my Dish 211K receiver, and I don't know why or how the signal works when cabled thru the 211K. However, with this setup the signal gets restricted somehow. I must search for some type device to attached and heat the Dish antenna...if there is such a thing.

Just out of curiosity, if you have antenna in on your tv, why not run it direct?

I have mine set up this way so when dish goes out during thunderstorms here I just switch to antenna in and can at least watch locals. It has come in handy more than a few times.:)

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

satcrazy is right.........
Just plug your antenna in to the back of the Digital TV, make sure the TV is set to OTA or Antenna mode, and do a scan.
The DISH receivers often are made to prevent you from seeing OTA stations when the dish isn't getting a sat signal.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

satcrazy is right.........
Just plug your antenna in to the back of the Digital TV, make sure the TV is set to OTA or Antenna mode, and do a scan.
The DISH receivers often are made to prevent you from seeing OTA stations when the dish isn't getting a sat signal.

Not true! I've lost all satellite signals many times on my 622 and have always been able to watch the OTA signals. You do need to use the menu button to break the "complete signal loss" message. You go to menu/guide and avoid all satellite channels - tune to a yellow colored channel.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Not true! I've lost all satellite signals many times on my 622 and have always been able to watch the OTA signals. You do need to use the menu button to break the "complete signal loss" message. You go to menu/guide and avoid all satellite channels - tune to a yellow colored channel.

OK,
Just thought it would help op bypass problem completely, plus, if he has the "input" option on TV, he just switchs to that. One and done.

Oh, by the way, channels pulled in by roof antenna excede the amount that is provided by Dish [ at least for me it does] yet another bonus.:)

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

OK,
Just thought it would help op bypass problem completely, plus, if he has the "input" option on TV, he just switchs to that. One and done.

Oh, by the way, channels pulled in by roof antenna excede the amount that is provided by Dish [ at least for me it does] yet another bonus.:)

Yes they do, in more ways than one:

1. you get the subchannels, some of which are worth watching (Antenna TV, MeTV, THIS, and Bounce).

2. The High Def channels are not compressed
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes they do, in more ways than one:

1. you get the subchannels, some of which are worth watching (Antenna TV, MeTV, THIS, and Bounce).

2. The High Def channels are not compressed

I would say less compressed by other kind H.262 [MPEG-2] and using more bandwidth ~17 Mbps; instead of H.264 [MPEG-4] and 8 Mbps (average).

#12 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well lets not forget if one loses sat signal an the guide data is lost, then you won't be able to view the ANT thru the 211.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

spam firewall