Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox is attacking the Hopper, Sling Adapter and Dish Anywhere now

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Come on. If DISH didn't want you to watch commercials they'd simply make autohop mandatory. They give you the CHOICE. That's a huge difference.

Right, because so many people choose to watch commercials when given the choice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

The default is to not autohop, you must enable it each and every time you watch a show that has that available. And that is what makes it no different than allowing for the skipping of ads that all DVRs will do.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

FOX is following the lead of CBS ... if you can't stop the technology in court, try to hide it from the world. I wonder if there are other products FOX has decided couldn't be advertised on their network?

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

All I'm saying is it makes no sense with their prime argument of why consumers want AutoHop.

Dish and Charlie have said that viewers don't want to watch commercials, so he is giving them that option.

So... why is Dish spending money on commercials to advertise their products? IF Dish doesn't think viewers want to watch commercials, it doesn't make sense to spend money on advertising... and it makes even less sense to be mad at FOX for not airing your Hopper commercial when you're trying to help your viewers skip ALL commercials on FOX stations.

Like I said... either argument is fine by themselves... but Dish is trying to be simultaneously on both sides of the same issue.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#25 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Stewart, your argument makes no sense.

The Hopper commercials are for people who do not have the Hopper, not for those who are already using it.

The Hopper commercials advertize another viewing option to the public, one that allows them to skip commercials only on a replay the next day, and only on OTA network stations.

Would it be hypocritical of a TV channel to advertize on radio.

There's no hypocracy here, just enterprise.

What the networks need top do here is get together with Neilson and get DVR'd programming replays somehow added to their demographic, so they can not only claim the initial watchers but also theose who watch their programming multiple times with their DVR's.

NAB, move into the 20th Century.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

It seems pretty simple ... DISH doesn't want people to watch OTHER COMPANY's commercials. Or at least they support their customer's desire to not watch commercials once they have subscribed to DISH.

It is not complicated. It is not hypocritical. DISH is in the position to offer a service people want ... so they are doing it. If they were refusing to offer the Hopper service out of fear that people would skip DISH ads that would be bad.

#27 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I guess the next thing Fox will want is for the FFWD button on all DVR's deactivated. Seriously, who here, doesn't just hit the skip forward button now, when they sit down to watch a recorded show? All Dish has done, is save me from having to push the FFWD button, several times to skip commercials.

#28 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Right, because so many people choose to watch commercials when given the choice.

Wat? :lol:

#29 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

It seems pretty simple ... DISH doesn't want people to watch OTHER COMPANY's commercials. Or at least they support their customer's desire to not watch commercials once they have subscribed to DISH.

It is not complicated. It is not hypocritical. DISH is in the position to offer a service people want ... so they are doing it. If they were refusing to offer the Hopper service out of fear that people would skip DISH ads that would be bad.

Please, can you and Stewart quit saying this. DISH doesn't care if you watch commercials. Why would they? They just realize that most people don't want to watch them and have found a way to automate that. It's a competitive advantage if their counterparts in providing television service don't offer that option so they promote it. But to say that they don't want us watching commercials is completely wrong.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

DISH doesn't care if you watch commercials. Why would they?

They don't want people seeing commercials for Genie on DirecTV (or any other competitive service). The Hopper is a vast conspiracy to improve retention. Once customers get the Hopper from DISH they are prevented from seeing commercials from other providers. It is all a part of the vast conspiracy to ...

Oh no ... I said too much. I hear helicopters. I think they're black (although at 1:37am color is hard to see). Tell my wife I love her! :rolleyes:

PS: I'm sorry for not including a smilie in my previous post. :) Please pay more attention to the line after the one you bolded ... "Or at least they support their customer's desire to not watch commercials once they have subscribed to DISH." (emphasis added)

#31 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Did anyone else notice that when they announced the DISH driver they did not say he was drivng te DISH car? They said the family's name instead. The other guy in the same row with him had his car sponser announced. That is pretty low FOX!
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Good for FOX. Dish is attacking a significant revenue stream, so game on.
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Im not even a DISH customer and I think its pretty childish. You dont announce every other sponser except for the one you dont like Its a NASCAR race not a FOX race.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Im not even a DISH customer and I think its pretty childish. You dont announce every other sponser except for the one you dont like Its a NASCAR race not a FOX race.

It's not nearly that simple. We are talking about two companies that are not even in direct competition with one another. Were talking about one company which is going out of their way to interfere with a revenue stream of another company. Not to mention that other providers have had access to this technology and have wisely chosen not to utilize it. Imagine that! Every other provider has chosen not to screw over the content providers that they must do business with.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Other companies being to timid to use technology should not prohibit DISH from innovating. I will not be surprised that once the dust settles on the court cases and Hopper issue if the other companies come out with their own commercial skip feature ... and the die hard promoters of such other companies will be the first to laud adding the feature as being the right thing to do.

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Is it really a significant revenue stream? Yes, ads are but those with a DVR (whether it's a Hopper or not), generally don't watch commercials, except with the common exception of sports. Hopper users would be at least fast forwarding if not skipping commercials anyway.

#37 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Not to mention that other providers have had access to this technology and have wisely chosen not to utilize it. Imagine that! Every other provider has chosen not to screw over the content providers that they must do business with.

You have just described being a leader, a pioneer. The networks have been screwing Satellite service since the beginning not to mention us. Chuck is not intimidated. In your scenario, there would be no DVR's, no skipping/fast forwarding. Lets not make them mad.

#38 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Other companies being to timid to use technology should not prohibit DISH from innovating. I will not be surprised that once the dust settles on the court cases and Hopper issue if the other companies come out with their own commercial skip feature ... and the die hard promoters of such other companies will be the first to laud adding the feature as being the right thing to do.

Exactly. It's reported elsewhere (I have no way to confirm) that Direct TV has the Hopper technology ready to go. The Movie industry finally got it after fighting so hard not to allow VHS/Betamax and changed their business plan to include releases of movies in various forms. It must have added billions to the industry. I have a large assortment of movies I would never have gone to see in theaters, or maybe even buy at full price, but did buy at what I thought was a more reasonable price sometime after release. All that money would have gone somewhere else.

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Exactly. It's reported elsewhere (I have no way to confirm) that Direct TV has the Hopper technology ready to go. The Movie industry finally got it after fighting so hard not to allow VHS/Betamax and changed their business plan to include releases of movies in various forms. It must have added billions to the industry. I have a large assortment of movies I would never have gone to see in theaters, or maybe even buy at full price, but did buy at what I thought was a more reasonable price sometime after release. All that money would have gone somewhere else.

DirecTV has had it for a long time and has chosen not to implement it for obvious reasons. Charlie has no concept of right and wrong...just what his massive team of lawyers can conspire to get away with on his behalf. He's ethically bankrupt. Nothing new there.
DTV = Digital Television

#40 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Guess its just more FOX being a, fair and balancing act ?

Let the true colors shine through!!!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...