Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

California: Sales tax on receiver fee(s)?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

The sales tax line item on my February bill is $0.54 -- that's 9% of $6.00, which would seem to indicate that the tax is being charged on my receiver fee.

In January, and on every bill prior to that, the sales tax line item was $0.00.

I didn't make any changes to my account in the past month.

Is this a case of California sales tax law having changed, a case of DirecTV's interpretation of California sales tax law having changed, or an error?
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

i have had this fee since i joined in 2008 and i'm in the Los Angeles area.

it really is not that bad as i'm sure most people are paying more in taxes for satellite.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#3 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I am charged a whopping $.98 in sales tax....compare that to the $5-10 in taxes and FCC fees I was paying when I had TV service with Comcast and I'm happy :D (funny now that I only have Comcast internet, there are NO taxes/fees :lol:)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

My sales tax on the whole bill

Sales Tax $7.04

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

i have had this fee since i joined in 2008 and i'm in the Los Angeles area.

Hmm, sounds like they must have been doing a complete audit on people's accounts when they started charging the RSN fee, then. :D Thanks.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#6 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

The sales tax line item on my February bill is $0.54 -- that's 9% of $6.00, which would seem to indicate that the tax is being charged on my receiver fee.

In January, and on every bill prior to that, the sales tax line item was $0.00.

I didn't make any changes to my account in the past month.

Is this a case of California sales tax law having changed, a case of DirecTV's interpretation of California sales tax law having changed, or an error?

I don't know if this is California-specific, but I did notice that in the last month or so, the internal billing shows a tax charge for the primary receiver, but then when the credit is issued against it to make it free, it's sans tax credit. This is definitely a new thing.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#7 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Same here in Arizona - the bill that just came shows 55 cents as sales tax, which was never charged before.

More important though - DTV charged me twice for the "Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" fee of $10.00, which used to be credited back to me. Guess I will play CSR roulette tomorrow...

Ted

#8 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

No longer crediting the tax of the primary receiver is new, due to new tax laws.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

We just had a close call on voting for taxes on satellite here in Illinois, Just because comcrap was doing it and encouraging politicians to do the same to us, But unfortunately I'm paying comcrap Internet sales tax and my huge state tax on my sprint bill.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

We just had a close call on voting for taxes on satellite here in Illinois, Just because comcrap was doing it and encouraging politicians to do the same to us, But unfortunately I'm paying comcrap Internet sales tax and my huge state tax on my sprint bill.

You shouldn't be paying sales tax on your Comcast internet service. Federal law forbids taxes on internet service. Do you have basic TV service on your Comcast account to qualify for a lower rate for internet service? That would be taxed.

#11 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

My sales tax on the whole bill

Sales Tax $7.04

Same here in PA, We pay 6% Sales tax on the whole bill.

$7.98 is what I pay per month with the package and equipment I have in my Signature.

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

You shouldn't be paying sales tax on your Comcast internet service. Federal law forbids taxes on internet service. Do you have basic TV service on your Comcast account to qualify for a lower rate for internet service? That would be taxed.

Are you sure about this? I have standalone Internet service from BrightHouse in Orlando and there is "State Sales Tax" on the bill.

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

No longer crediting the tax of the primary receiver is new, due to new tax laws.

Yeah, I questioned it and all I was told was to contact my state legislature lol. Started in January where they quit crediting the tax on the primary receiver. How do you charge tax on something that is credited back? Its a zero balance to charge tax on. I dont get it.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#14 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, I questioned it and all I was told was to contact my state legislature lol. Started in January where they quit crediting the tax on the primary receiver. How do you charge tax on something that is credited back? Its a zero balance to charge tax on. I dont get it.

Some states have D* charge a "Use Tax Adjustment" when placing the order on the value of the free standard installation. It's not charged when there is an install few since the tax is already calculated.

In Florida I noticed the "Communications Service Tax" is now missing...

#15 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Are you sure about this? I have standalone Internet service from BrightHouse in Orlando and there is "State Sales Tax" on the bill.

I have Blue Ridge Communications in PA and have Internet only, and I have NO taxes as well.

#16 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

I have Blue Ridge Communications in PA and have Internet only, and I have NO taxes as well.

Is there a modem fee on your charges...or just pure Internet charge?

I'm wondering if they are collecting sales tax on the modem fee that appears on the BH bill.

#17 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Is there a modem fee on your charges...or just pure Internet charge?

I'm wondering if they are collecting sales tax on the modem fee that appears on the BH bill.

No its just one charge

The Price of my G10 service is $57.95 and thats what I get charged, They provide the modem as well.

Now when we had Phone service and TV service there was a State sales tax, Township Tax ,Fcc tax and 911 fee, Its was about $15 added to a $169 bill.

#18 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Not here, $20.02 on my latest bill

#19 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Not here, $20.02 on my latest bill

I was about to say... a whole lot of subscribers in Florida must be doing backflips of joy :lol:
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#20 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Simple.

D* charges you a $6.00 usage fee.
The state taxes the usage fee.
D* separately credits you back the $6.00 for the primary receiver, but the state still taxes you for using the receiver. That's because you're still using the receiver for that month. You didn't revoke a sale and return the product. You got a separate credit back that happens to match the value of the primary receiver's lease fee. D* COULD extend their credit to also cover the tax, but almost nobody else does that, so D* has stopped doing that. I don't think the state cares who pays for the tax, but maybe some states have forbidden the provider from paying it. It could also be that D* paying the tax was a temporary measure to "ease the pain."

Now when you cancel service, you do not get taxed on the full $6 for that last month, since D* will prorate the usage fee for that month.

In NY, we only get taxed on the lease fees. We never got a credit for it.

Edited by bobcamp1, 03 March 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...